Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

The wax truth,

Totally Alex
@totally-alex
13 years ago
5 posts

Probably like,a thousand things on this, but here's mine anyway. Im writing this 'cause my friend just re-started her dreads the natural way after using dread head hq wax.

starting dreads, maintaining them, however with anywax honestlyy, is just horrible man, its so sticky and crap, it hurts the hair worse than anything, its the hardest thing to get out,
Johnny Clean?His stuffsthe worst, he says dreads are all spiritual and should be natural(crocheted), but then he's talking about politics and media, and basically selling dreads as a way to gain money, not to help peope spirtually with dreads,

i wish i would've took a picture of her dreads before she took them out and restarted, its like holding, a melted ice cream cone in your hand and letting the stickyness just stay in your hand.

so she started over the natural way, letting it lock over time, using sea salt and organic shampoo and such(with my help)

If you want your dreads to lock quicker, use orangic stuff, sea salt, but like, you see wax? run away. literally dude.

updated by @totally-alex: 02/14/15 09:58:18AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

yea there are already a thousand of these but since dozens still get in the sticky mess 1 more is always welcome

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
13 years ago
2,702 posts

I've written it a few places here, but I'll tell you too. I had a set of locks when I was a junior in HS. I used wax because I didn't know otherwise.

Well, I was told to put it on 2 times a week and not wash for 2 months or so. I didn't know better, so I listened to my hairdresser. I loved them cause I loved locks, but I would wake up every morning with a sticky wax film all over my pillow. It was gross. After the 2 months, I was ready to wash my hair.

Dear God! as I washed hair started to fall out. Not just the few strands that normally come out. I mean I looked like I was going through Chemo. Chunks of my hair were just dropping out. I didn't even have to pull on them. I ended up loosing more than half my hair. It must have rotted on the inside.

I had to shave my head and start all over from the beginning. Then I decided to go the natural way. I did a little palm rolling at first, but then just went neglect.

You'll probably find the same story as you look through the posts, but I figured you'd appreciate hearing that someone else wen through some nastiness too

Janice
@janice
13 years ago
49 posts

Baba Fats that is HORRIBLE! What a nasty, awful thing to happen after you had put your trust in an "authority" and did what you thought you should do! Blaaa, that is just sick. Glad you started over and it has gone so much better for you the natural route. I did palm-rolling the first week or two, until my hands/fingers were SOOO tired and I even pulled a muscle doing it (omg, how is it possible to pull a muscle in your FINGER? LOL). Finally I said screw it and now all I do is separate and pray to god the beaver tails do not completely engulf my head.

BKsensiUrWay
@bksensiurway
13 years ago
19 posts

i was told by many people to use wax and get them done or they would look horrible and smell shitty. to think how TERRIBLE it would've been if i listened to my friends who thought they were king shit about dreads. ugh. it's been 6 months of me loving my hair however it chose to be and i must say it's a very rewarding and enlightening experience/journey. completely natural and patience was the route i chose the first time and i am soooooglad.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
13 years ago
2,702 posts

I know. if you just go nayural you can wash them. If you use wax and don't wash, that's when they start to smell and too greasy and terrible

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
12 years ago
409 posts

Wait a minute, Baba Fats. You said if you use wax and DON'T wash... but if you've got wax all over your hair then you're not really washing. You're just making the outside of your candle-hair look nice and shiny. It's still gonna stink like hell. You'd have to use hot water and degreaser to get that shit out of your hair.

I am so sorry, Baba, for you losing your hair like that. I am so glad that I waited and ignored my impulse to buy that nasty stuff in a jar when I first contemplated locking up. Hearing stories like yours and others helps to keep me strong in my resolve that I am doing it right.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

You can wash with wax in your hair. But if you don't use degreaser and hot water, the wax won't come out. What will happen is that water will make it into the lock by whatever tiny gap there is between the wax and your scalp, or any small area that wax isn't covering. Once the water is inside, it can't get out, because the lock is not only water proof from the outside, but also the inside. When water sits around one area doesn't move, it's called a swap/marsh/wetland/bog...etc. Whatever you want to call it, material rots there. The same goes for what happens to your hair if it sits in water for extended periods of time.

sorry if the first post wasn't clear. I read it again, and it didn't make much sense. I;d tried to clear up what I meant.

It's ok. I'd rather have had to start over than try to get all the wax out and find out years later than I missed some and have to cut them after all that work and time. But thanks for the sympathies

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

Well you can wash it with wax and it though like you said it is waterproof, so work can really get to the hair and get the dirt out. so you get some dirt out thats on the surface but the dirt trapped in the wax doesn't come out. Nice image of the bog on your head.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Angel Frye
@angel-frye
12 years ago
409 posts

No Baba, you were clear.

Yeah. Like jungle rot. Only on your head instead of on your feet.

EUGHHHHHHWW! Now that I have a major case of the heebie jeebies visualizing that I'll be going. *gag*

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form