Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

More progress in 1 day than I had in 1 year trying to 'make dreads'

Jeannie Pitt
@jeannie-pitt
14 years ago
23 posts

Below is a repost of my story, which apparently inspired this discussion *blush.

If you don't learn anything else from this forum, learn this... Don't try to make dreads!!! They happen on their own, with a little help from some baking soda and apple cider vinegar. At least that's my experience in one day, after trying to backcomb and debating to use every sticky substance I could think of to make them dread, though I didn't actually ever put too much of anything in it.

My original question is under the help save my dreads section and I can't figure out how to post that link here, so if you want to read it, you gotta go search for it. :/ Anyway, here the original story of my progress in one day...

Well well...I do believe I might be the inspiration for this one, and yes, oh yes, I had more progress in one day than I had in an entire year after reaching this forum site today.

I had been trying to 'make dreads' which is the point that stood out most for me in my discussion with these wonderful people. Fortunately, I hadn't gone so far as to wax or use any type of product, but after a year of backcombing with no success, I was pretty desperate.

Most of the time when I searched for info, I came to dreadheadhq. Admittedly, I did buy some Lock Peppa about 2 months ago because nothing else was working. That didn't work either. I had read forums, watched videos on YouTube, blah blah blah. Kept at my hair for a time, left it alone for a time, washed it frequently, didn't wash it for a while. Nothing was working.

So I posted on this forum in the 'save my dreads' section.

Immediate responses from some really great and really helpful people. I took their advice and used a baking soda wash and then the apple cider vinegar. My hair immediately responded. I was absolutely amazed at the natural twisting and locking that my hair did after just one treatment. I mean really...

And then I learned how to put in beads, which may seem obvious to some of you, but wow! I've got beads in my hair now!

So thank you, thank you to you wonderful and kind people for having this place of truth! Bottom line that I learned today, don't try to MAKE dreads. Use baking soda and apple cider vinegar and leave 'em be.

PEACE!

updated by @jeannie-pitt: 02/14/15 10:08:41AM
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts

You are welcome :) You will go through different phases with your dreads. You will have days where you hate, love them, think they look awesome, think they look horrible...Lol One of the things that I have come to realize after almost 6 mos. is that it is what it is. I wake up to new surprises almost daily! I don't give it the thought that I used to, the anxiety has gone away. It's just me! After a time you will just kind of fall lovingly into the dreaded bliss of just being. Glad it has worked out for you...many blessings.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,639 posts

very well said pantera the best thing u can do is go on with your life like dreads dont matter like your not trying to dread

just let life happen and dreads will be the result

but the more u care about how they look the longer it will take to get there..just let go and go with the flow

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jeannie Pitt
@jeannie-pitt
14 years ago
23 posts

It's funny you say 'just let life happen.' When I read ALL the responses about 'leave them alone' I had to chuckle to myself and wonder if I should apply that philosophy to the rest of my life as well. I'm in a few situations where I'm trying and trying and getting no results. The dread thing was only one of them. I come from a long line of fear-based living and I said out loud to myself in the mirror yesterday, 'If I want to be a true hippie, I gotta release all this fear!' lol rofl.

So, yeah. This forum has given me insight on more than just my dreads. I've let go of many things, but have a pile more to sift through. Let life happen is hard for me, but I'm working on it. As for the dreads...that's done. Letting them be, leaving them alone and letting them happen. Now on to the rest of it...

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,639 posts

wdll lets talk dreads can be very much therapy a lifechanging adventure

--
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts

Thank you Soaring Eagle! Dreads are truly not about hair...I came to this site and gained so much more.

soaringeagle said:

wdll lets talk dreads can be very much therapy a lifechanging adventure

Jeannie Pitt
@jeannie-pitt
14 years ago
23 posts

my dear that was totally understandable, at least to me. That's pretty much exactly how I felt and still feel. It's kind of like when you're stranded all alone on a deserted island, and then you see a ship sailing in your direction with waving hands and smiles.

Glad you're here. :)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,639 posts

i think its time for a group hug haha

--
Jeannie Pitt
@jeannie-pitt
14 years ago
23 posts

I wrote a poetry book called Hugs and Popsicles cause I agree...hugs for the emotional stuff, popsicles for the physical ailments...we're done!!

lol...bring on the group hug!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,639 posts

at the gatherings from ther very 1st one we started a tradition in council that we all hold hands in a circle so all people in the circle can see the eyes of all others and when your holding hands u dont have a free hand ti rais in anger

its worked will for us to help us get along and see eye to eye on any subject

ofcoursewe also hug all the time and even have hug patrols to make sure ppl get theyre daily doses

your very right hugs can disarm armies

and help ppl get along regardless of what they believe in

AstaNord said:

Hugs must be the solution for every war in the world! <3

soaringeagle said:

i think its time for a group hug haha

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus