Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

I am new here, and new to dreads. I'm very concerned - Just got my head dreaded at a salon. Wax and Backcombing. Can I save them?

Sarah Weathers
@sarah-weathers
12 years ago
42 posts

i sure hope they will give a refund. i can hear it now - some BS about how there are disclaimers etc... ugh. i feel so mad. i mean i'm sure the stylist means well - but she doesn't have dreads. she obviously has no clue (and i didn't until i spent all day the last 2 days reading this site) that wax is so bad.

Britany said:

they should if you removed close to all the wax. I only waxed for 3 or 4 days removed day 7 and i used lots of dish soap and HOT water. its no fun, but they will get tight again as mine are now 3mo and i did nothing to them after i removed the wax cept washing weekly. get a refund.

Sarah Weathers said:

i think i got *most* of it out. i don't know if i can get every last bit of wax out. but most is out. most dreads fell apart but i still have quite a mess of very very very thin little partial dreads. maybe i can just go with what i have - even if there is a small bit of wax left behind? i have now soaked in vinegar twice, then hot shower with dish soap 3 times. my hair is wet right now - and i think there is just a bit of wax. but it is way less. could i maybe just let it be from now and see if they dread up?

updated by @sarah-weathers: 07/22/15 07:28:08AM
hippiegal
@hippiegal
12 years ago
182 posts

Don't worry, your clean wax-free hair will knot up naturally, and faster than you think.

Sarah Weathers
@sarah-weathers
12 years ago
42 posts

thank you so much for your kind replies and for helping me. i'm going to leave my hair alone. do nothing to it. it is a MESS ... a royal mess... but i will just leave it and see what happens. i just don't want one giant dread. i do want separation, but i assume that does happen naturally too?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

it will section itself but u will have to seperate as sections will try to combine

and if they refuse a refund give me the salons num,bner ill call em for u

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Sarah Weathers
@sarah-weathers
12 years ago
42 posts

soaring eagle, you have made my day, and have also made me realize some very important things. thank you so, much. i was exerting too much control over nature. i got most of the wax out. there is some residue, but i believe i have gotten a huge amount out. i'm not wrapping my dreads anymore - just gonna sleep and do whatever. it is very freeing, sitting here with this crazy matted hair and chapped skin from all of the dish soap, and realizing how i can just stop all this madness and worry now. i just am going to let go and see what happens.

soaring eagle said:

it will section itself but u will have to seperate as sections will try to combine

and if they refuse a refund give me the salons num,bner ill call em for u

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

cant wait to see the progress :)

--
Sarah Weathers
@sarah-weathers
12 years ago
42 posts

well here is my new DAY 1 photo. after getting *most* of the wax out. this is with my hair just towel dried, and natural. this is where i am starting <3

updated by @sarah-weathers: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
hippiegal
@hippiegal
12 years ago
182 posts

Happy natural knotting, Sarah!That's a really good start. There are still bunched strands where the new dreads will form. All your hard work washing has paid off.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

yea thats a great start just i would savoid towel drying for a bit shake em and air/drip or sun dry

--
Sarah Weathers
@sarah-weathers
12 years ago
42 posts

thank you so much! my heart feels so much lighter. this is a spiritual journey for me, and i got lost in all this crap that people told me about wax and getting it done professionally. this is a lesson. my cherokee spirituality tells me to be natural and patient, and i somehow i let myself be dragged away into this terrible place of thinking i can't do it naturally. when i know that i can. THANK YOU <3

hippiegal said:

Happy natural knotting, Sarah!That's a really good start. There are still bunched strands where the new dreads will form. All your hard work washing has paid off.

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form