Like this page? Then share it!
Dreadlocks Forums

I am new here, and new to dreads. I'm very concerned - Just got my head dreaded at a salon. Wax and Backcombing. Can I save them?

Sarah Weathers
@sarah-weathers
4 years ago
42 posts

i sure hope they will give a refund. i can hear it now - some BS about how there are disclaimers etc... ugh. i feel so mad. i mean i'm sure the stylist means well - but she doesn't have dreads. she obviously has no clue (and i didn't until i spent all day the last 2 days reading this site) that wax is so bad.

Britany said:

they should if you removed close to all the wax. I only waxed for 3 or 4 days removed day 7 and i used lots of dish soap and HOT water. its no fun, but they will get tight again as mine are now 3mo and i did nothing to them after i removed the wax cept washing weekly. get a refund.

Sarah Weathers said:

i think i got *most* of it out. i don't know if i can get every last bit of wax out. but most is out. most dreads fell apart but i still have quite a mess of very very very thin little partial dreads. maybe i can just go with what i have - even if there is a small bit of wax left behind? i have now soaked in vinegar twice, then hot shower with dish soap 3 times. my hair is wet right now - and i think there is just a bit of wax. but it is way less. could i maybe just let it be from now and see if they dread up?

updated by @sarah-weathers: 07/22/15 07:28:08AM
hippiegal
@hippiegal
4 years ago
184 posts

Don't worry, your clean wax-free hair will knot up naturally, and faster than you think.

Sarah Weathers
@sarah-weathers
4 years ago
42 posts

thank you so much for your kind replies and for helping me. i'm going to leave my hair alone. do nothing to it. it is a MESS ... a royal mess... but i will just leave it and see what happens. i just don't want one giant dread. i do want separation, but i assume that does happen naturally too?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
4 years ago
27,402 posts

it will section itself but u will have to seperate as sections will try to combine

and if they refuse a refund give me the salons num,bner ill call em for u

--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
Sarah Weathers
@sarah-weathers
4 years ago
42 posts

soaring eagle, you have made my day, and have also made me realize some very important things. thank you so, much. i was exerting too much control over nature. i got most of the wax out. there is some residue, but i believe i have gotten a huge amount out. i'm not wrapping my dreads anymore - just gonna sleep and do whatever. it is very freeing, sitting here with this crazy matted hair and chapped skin from all of the dish soap, and realizing how i can just stop all this madness and worry now. i just am going to let go and see what happens.

soaring eagle said:

it will section itself but u will have to seperate as sections will try to combine

and if they refuse a refund give me the salons num,bner ill call em for u

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
4 years ago
27,402 posts

cant wait to see the progress :)

--
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Sarah Weathers
@sarah-weathers
4 years ago
42 posts

well here is my new DAY 1 photo. after getting *most* of the wax out. this is with my hair just towel dried, and natural. this is where i am starting <3

updated by @sarah-weathers: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
hippiegal
@hippiegal
4 years ago
184 posts

Happy natural knotting, Sarah!That's a really good start. There are still bunched strands where the new dreads will form. All your hard work washing has paid off.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
4 years ago
27,402 posts

yea thats a great start just i would savoid towel drying for a bit shake em and air/drip or sun dry

--
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Sarah Weathers
@sarah-weathers
4 years ago
42 posts

thank you so much! my heart feels so much lighter. this is a spiritual journey for me, and i got lost in all this crap that people told me about wax and getting it done professionally. this is a lesson. my cherokee spirituality tells me to be natural and patient, and i somehow i let myself be dragged away into this terrible place of thinking i can't do it naturally. when i know that i can. THANK YOU <3

hippiegal said:

Happy natural knotting, Sarah!That's a really good start. There are still bunched strands where the new dreads will form. All your hard work washing has paid off.

/ 3

Dislike 0

Share This

Tags

comments powered by Disqus