Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

I am new here, and new to dreads. I'm very concerned - Just got my head dreaded at a salon. Wax and Backcombing. Can I save them?

Sarah Weathers
@sarah-weathers
12 years ago
42 posts

Hi everyone :) I am new here to this community, as well as new to having dreads. I have wanted them for a long time, and finally made an appointment at a local salon where a gal specializes in dreads among other things. She did use Knotty Boy wax and backcombed and twisted a bit. I have been palm-rolling and trying to do all of the maintenance afterward, but all of the talk of how bad wax is just is making me so upset I feel like crying. I had hair down to my waist, and I didn't lose a lot of length - maybe 1/3 of my hair or less. If I don't put any more wax in (and I haven't), can they be saved? Or will one session at a salon with wax and backcombing ruin my dreads forever?

updated by @sarah-weathers: 02/14/15 09:32:08AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

well u absolutely want to get the wax out twisting wasnt good and palm rolling is pointless completely

as long as u get the wax out they will be ok and the sooner u get it out the easier it will be to get out

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
hippiegal
@hippiegal
12 years ago
182 posts

Hi Sarah. You've come to the right place. No way are your dreads totally ruined. I've never used wax, but I know it can be melted or dissolved and your dreads will go on knotting up naturally. There are commercial wax removers, but you may be able to do it without spending any more money.

SE? Anyone with specific advice?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

shes gonna try the vinager then dawn if need be move on to the wax b gone but since its just been 2 days hopefully the vinager and dawn will do the trick

--
Sarah Weathers
@sarah-weathers
12 years ago
42 posts

well, i just got done soaking my head with distilled white vinegar (just what i have at home), and then just generic dish soap. probably similar to dawn. thankfully the stylist used dark knotty boy wax cuz i have dark hair, so i could SEE it coming out in the shower. i showered twice, and i still feel the wax in it. man. this is ridiculous.

Sarah Weathers
@sarah-weathers
12 years ago
42 posts

so i am going to shower again and try to get this wax out for the 3rd time. IF i do get it all out with my home methods should i then just let my hair dry naturally and then let it dread itself? it is basically a giant mess right now - i can see some of the original separations but it is very matted and wet and just a mess.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

yea just seperarte into individual sections and let it dread tho if u cant fwt it all out u may bed the wax b gone

a mess is a good start to dreads

--
Sarah Weathers
@sarah-weathers
12 years ago
42 posts

shower #3 - ran out of vinegar and used a half bottle of dish soap and wax residue is still in the top of my head. this is so upsetting. i'm trying

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

donty forget to call the salon demand a refund and tell them that wax never belongs in dreads!

--
Sarah Weathers
@sarah-weathers
12 years ago
42 posts

i think i got *most* of it out. i don't know if i can get every last bit of wax out. but most is out. most dreads fell apart but i still have quite a mess of very very very thin little partial dreads. maybe i can just go with what i have - even if there is a small bit of wax left behind? i have now soaked in vinegar twice, then hot shower with dish soap 3 times. my hair is wet right now - and i think there is just a bit of wax. but it is way less. could i maybe just let it be from now and see if they dread up?

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form