Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

african salon caucasian hair wax twists/comb coils disaster

Jamie Redman
@jamie-redman
12 years ago
12 posts

Hey I went to a salon yesterday, and got a Twist N Rip. I payed a decent amount over a hundred. I didn't realize this was the method the hair dresser was using. I am Caucasian and my hair was long, and straight. Shoulder length. The woman used a Wax/Gel mix, and I sat under the dryer for 2 hours pinned up. Well when I was finished I came out looking like Snoop Doggy dog, or a real funky junk yard dog. She said not to wash for two weeks and the curly they stay the better. Then in two weeks she would work them again. Also she said not to twist them myself. Here's my questions, my hair is white boy straight will this method work? Should I trust her and not twist them on my own? Should I add/use more wax if needed? Also do you recommend going back to her for 50 bucks? She was very nice, Nigerian, and seemed to know a bit of what she was talking about. Although I feel I was a very, very rare Caucasian client, and she seemed anxious because my hair was very straight. Will this method make my hair curly/ more nappy? Will my hair lock this way? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

updated by @jamie-redman: 02/14/15 09:30:46AM
Naked Naturalist
@naked-naturalist
12 years ago
88 posts

NO WAX. EVER. you shouldnt have to pay to get nice dreads. dreads come naturally. or your could do twist and rip on your own and watch them form (: no products are ever needed. my dreads are 2 months and are already looking so beautiful. my advice to you would be wash it all out with the baking soda rinse, or dish soap, whatever works. and start all over, doing it the natural or twist and rip, leave it alone, way (:

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

nuff said. But the wax might not come out just by washing. I'm really sorry to say it, but you should consider just combing them out. That way your can be sure that all of the wax is out. If you did the wax removal methods posted here, they'd all come out anyway. They're young.

Again, I'm really sorry you got charged so much for a service you could do yourself.

No, it will not make your hair more nappy. In fact, it will make it more greasy, more likely to pick up lint, and never ever turn into proper locks. I used wax on my first set and was told to not was for 2 months. When it came time to wash, I am not shitting you, my hair melted off of my head. I lost 2/3 of my hair. It rotted on my scalp and just fell off. I didn't even have to pull it. The water pressure in the shower took it off. The wax made it seem like they were locks, but all it was doing was masking the problem.

No, do not go back to her for $50. It's a ripoff. She doesn't know how to make grow locks. She knows how to make hair look like likes, but that she knows will not be intended to last. people who have locks that used wax, don't keep them for long, either they end up bald like me, or they get tired of thembecausethey itch and they feel like they can't wash because there's wax in their hair.

Do yourself a favor, and wash it all out. Look up a YP video on TnR and then let them grow naturally

Jamie Redman
@jamie-redman
12 years ago
12 posts
Ok well now that it's done, why rip It all out and start over? Can't I get some form from what I have done? I shouldn't have to pay, but I did. So I'm wondering what I should do with my current state? Will it not work? Some discussions on this site say that it's not the best method, but still works... I'd like to go from this point, hopefully without taking them all out. I just need some advice on where to go from here. If you really feel that it ABSOLUTELY will not work, then let me know. So how can I keep it from here, If I didn't add wax anymore. I'm sorry I didn't go the Natural way, some people do, and some people don't I guess. I'm new to this and have always wanted to Dread my hair. So help a Newb out rather than bag on me.
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

It's not that you can't go from where you are at. The problem is that the wax removal method is kind of intense on your hair. If you go that way, it'll probably just take them out anyway. Plus it's not pleasant and can take months to get all the wax out. It deals with really hot water and dish soap and submerging your locks in them for a few minutes at a time. The first go around wont get it all out, so you'll have to do it over and over again. By the time all the wax is out, if your locks are that young, they probably come out all the way anyway. I'm just trying to save you the discomfort of all of that.

I've got nothing against TnR. I did it to a few of my locks. It works fine. I meant to say to TnR them again, but leave them alone afterwards. Sorry if It sounded like I meant to just neglect them

Jamie Redman
@jamie-redman
12 years ago
12 posts

Baba Fats said:

It's not that you can't go from where you are at. The problem is that the wax removal method is kind of intense on your hair. If you go that way, it'll probably just take them out anyway. Plus it's not pleasant and can take months to get all the wax out. It deals with really hot water and dish soap and submerging your locks in them for a few minutes at a time. The first go around wont get it all out, so you'll have to do it over and over again. By the time all the wax is out, if your locks are that young, they probably come out all the way anyway. I'm just trying to save you the discomfort of all of that.

I've got nothing against TnR. I did it to a few of my locks. It works fine. I meant to say to TnR them again, but leave them alone afterwards. Sorry if It sounded like I meant to just neglect them

Jamie Redman
@jamie-redman
12 years ago
12 posts

So essentially I can go with this method.....Seeing how I paid for it, I kinda want to go for the gusto. Ill deal with the pain of taking out the wax. Its not much wax anyway. So maybe I should leave it as is, and not add any more wax? Im just wondering where I should go from here? Should I just leave my hair alone, no washing and try to keep it up myself? Is keeping it in a hat OK? If you did what I did, how would you proceed from here, rather than Wash it all out. Wow, Im feeling pretty discouraged. Is there any feeling of " Well it is possible to go from where your at, just try this....... " ?

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Get the wax out, no doubt about that. Wax, over time, degrades, and starts to rot. If you don't get it out, it will rot in your hair. Then you'll have mold, mildew and wax in your hair. That process is even more uncomfortable to get out. I get it that you paid for it and don't want to loose the money, but in reality, you already lost the money. Chalk it up to experience. I'd personally wash it all out, but if you want to try it, try the removal method. You might be lucky and not loose all of the TnR they did. There's a link at the top of the page that details how to do it.

2: Wash, wash, and more wash. 2-3 time a week till they start to mature in a few months. Then you can taper off. But never wash less than once a week. Mine are 5 years old, and I wash 1-2 times a week. Washing helps the process but creating knots and keeping your scalp clean. When you dry, try to air dry as much as possible. A blow dryer doesn't hurt, though. Don't rub your head with a towel, just squeeze the water out and pat it dry with the towel.

3: If you wan't to wear a hat, get a loose fitting one like a tam. You want to give your hair room to move around and rub against itself.

There's a post I made called "top secret" Search for it. It should pop up right away. It's full of info for new locks.

I understand that you fell discouraged. It sucks. But the wax, even if you don't add more, will create so many problems in the near future, that it's really not worth the chance

taye
@taye
12 years ago
833 posts

it sounds likes she just twisted them. there is a big difference between twisting and twist and rip. African hair is often just twisted. It does not work on caucasian hair. Twist and rip is taking a strand turning it the side..pulling it into 2 sections toward the roots. putting the ends back together.turning the section splitting in two again over and over...til it is close to the tip. Almost like it is being braided.

Twisting takes a product (usually) like a gel and the hair is just twisted around from the roots to the tips. Sometimes it is put into clips/ or bobby pins into little buns. Then it is often put under the dryer to set the product. If you have caucasion hair....that is just gonna come undone anyway. That method only works for african-type hair.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,639 posts

get a redfund you did not get twist wsnd rip u got twists that only work in african hair plus she used wazx u never ever ever ever use wax in dreasds she knew nothing..nothing nothing

the only rthing you do need to do is wash thatsall so every single thing she said awnd did w3as wrong

you never go to a salon fopr dreads! guaranteed disaster

you were totaly screwed from the mommen t you made an appointment (sorry to be harsh juswt stressing the fact thwat you were screwed and basicly scammed twists will never work in your hair)

facts

twists only hold in african hair

wax prevents dreading

retwisting every 2 weeks can breaj[k off dreads and cause a condition called traction alopecia which makes you go bald!

not washing will only make your hair gross and not dread

washing and kweeoing it free of wax and gunk will make it dread

twist and rip is a totaly diferent sthing

u can go natural..let it dread on o=its own this is trhe best way

or do twist and rip yoitrself at hiome for free

get your money back

tell her wwax never belongs in dreads and twists dont worj=k in caucasian hair and she had no right doing dreads idf she didnt know that

wax is the number 1 cause of dreads being cut

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
 / 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form