Like this page? Then share it!
Dreadlocks Forums

Interlocked Dreads

Wamabam
@wamabam
4 months ago
6 posts

today i went to get dreadlocks done on my hair and I was told they were going to be backcombed at the root  and then crocheted the rest. She started the first one showed it to me and I said it was fine I felt a little loop at the root and asked what it was, She said "it is interlocked" I did not really know what that was I just thought it was another word for crocheting. But later on after it was done I was reading online about how bad it is to interlock and now feeling them i can feel little holes in the dreadlocks and the interlocks at the root i can stick my finger through some. She recommended I go bad once a month for maintenance but I don't want to go back if she will keep interlocking them. If I don't go back and don't interlock them anymore will they be fine. they have also been very painful I cant even lay my head down on a pillow for more than 5 minutes.

P.S sorry about the bad pictures :P

20160809_195807.jpg
20160809_195807.jpg  •  3.4MB

20160809_195717.jpg
20160809_195717.jpg  •  2.8MB

20160809_195658.jpg
20160809_195658.jpg  •  3.2MB

updated by @wamabam: 08/09/16 11:26:34PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
4 months ago
27,412 posts

ouch well everything she did wasn't good ..backcomb being the least harmful and if that was all she did they'd be fine with just damaged cuticles

now crochet and interlocking are both in the top 5 worse things you can do to dreads with interlocking probably being  in the top 3 worse ..crochet does more harm to the hair while repeated interlocking damages the scalp

yes they will be fine..ish

the crochet will slow oir prevent dreading for a good while  if its tight and stiff

if it is the tightness and stiffness can take years to recover and look more natural and normal

but 1 crochet use wont weaken them too severely

interlock on the other hand typically makes that point 35% ..or more weaker then the rest of the dread, with no elasticity to absorb shock so not only is it weaker but more likely to snap at that point

interlocking and excessive twisting are the only 2 things i ever saw cause a dread to break near the root

don't panic.. the likeliness that they will break today or next month or even next years low

35% weaker is still strong enough but if a hard yank were to break it that's where it will break

so maybe someday the tips will break  after they grow awhile..no big loss to lose  only a few inches

um.. call her tell her not only will you never come back for maintenance but you feel she did a terrible job and harmed your dreads and head and want a refund

for something you should never do to dreads she didn't even do it well ..yes very often you'll find gaps holes and kinks that make it very clear it wss done but not so you can fuit a finger through

having said that..if it wasn't done you should be able to fit a finger through the roots they should never be so tight you cant get a finger under the dread to the scalp

typically backcomb has an inch loose at the roots and over months becomes 2-3 inches before  dreading up and stopping at 1/2 an inch

interlockings typically done so tight that not only cant a finger get under but the hairs are pulled tight horizontally against the scalp so youd have trouble getting a bobby pin between the scalp and hairs

how tight are the bodies not the roots are they stiff

(no wax was used i hope right)

the holes aren't great but are a lot better then if they were forced to be extra tight against the scalp

ifthe dreads themselves are very stiff and tight you might want to try aloe or jojoba to soften and loosen them so they can recover faster

--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
Wamabam
@wamabam
4 months ago
6 posts
☮ soaring eagle ॐ:

ouch well everything she did wasn't good ..backcomb being the least harmful and if that was all she did they'd be fine with just damaged cuticles

now crochet and interlocking are both in the top 5 worse things you can do to dreads with interlocking probably being  in the top 3 worse ..crochet does more harm to the hair while repeated interlocking damages the scalp

yes they will be fine..ish

the crochet will slow oir prevent dreading for a good while  if its tight and stiff

if it is the tightness and stiffness can take years to recover and look more natural and normal

but 1 crochet use wont weaken them too severely

interlock on the other hand typically makes that point 35% ..or more weaker then the rest of the dread, with no elasticity to absorb shock so not only is it weaker but more likely to snap at that point

interlocking and excessive twisting are the only 2 things i ever saw cause a dread to break near the root

don't panic.. the likeliness that they will break today or next month or even next years low

35% weaker is still strong enough but if a hard yank were to break it that's where it will break

so maybe someday the tips will break  after they grow awhile..no big loss to lose  only a few inches

um.. call her tell her not only will you never come back for maintenance but you feel she did a terrible job and harmed your dreads and head and want a refund

for something you should never do to dreads she didn't even do it well ..yes very often you'll find gaps holes and kinks that make it very clear it wss done but not so you can fuit a finger through

having said that..if it wasn't done you should be able to fit a finger through the roots they should never be so tight you cant get a finger under the dread to the scalp

typically backcomb has an inch loose at the roots and over months becomes 2-3 inches before  dreading up and stopping at 1/2 an inch

interlockings typically done so tight that not only cant a finger get under but the hairs are pulled tight horizontally against the scalp so youd have trouble getting a bobby pin between the scalp and hairs

how tight are the bodies not the roots are they stiff

(no wax was used i hope right)

the holes aren't great but are a lot better then if they were forced to be extra tight against the scalp

ifthe dreads themselves are very stiff and tight you might want to try aloe or jojoba to soften and loosen them so they can recover faster

There was no wax no products or anything involved. And im not 100% sure if they are stiff or not I would say not (but I don't know what stiff or soft dreads would feel like). I actually just called her and told her that interlocking is not what she said she would do and not the method I was ok with. She said they were the same thing just two different words for it. I told her that I was reading online that everywhere was saying they are two different methods and she just said they were false, she also seemed hostile and I got a bad vibe from her over the phone lol. But she also wants 150$ for maintenance in about a month and a half which is not cheap they whole head cost me 275$. I definitly will not be going back there.
Wamabam
@wamabam
4 months ago
6 posts

I also forgot to add they she said they would lock up in a few months and not to wash them for about a month unless I need too.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
4 months ago
27,412 posts

they are not the same thing and only 1 idiot out of confudsion and lack of knowledge ever said they were (was a metal hook used if not then she believed that idiot)

dreadheadhq jonny clean (as if wax caked dreads are clean) on his page had instructions on how to crochet ..but they were instructions on how to interlock

and on his site was recommending it as crochet

but on twitter he said never to interlock (this time with the right description though it was exactly what he called crochet and recommended) he said not to interlock cause it caused gaps in them like you have

now jonny recommends every single thing bad for dreads..except interlocking (when he actualy knows what it is)

he recommends felting using a tool he ironically called the lock docta...to fix loops (the 1st sign of dreading) felting is the number 1 worse thing you cando to dreads

if done enough you can turn your dreads to powder

now this is jonny logic for ya.. the lock docta says "poke with care over use may cause dreads to break off, but don't worry, if your dreads fall off from over poking simply poke some more to reattach"

jonny is not only why she thinks they are the same thing.. but she did the 1 and only thing i ever heard him admit shouldn't be done

and he thinks the absolute worse thing you can do is a great way to fix those peske signs that somehow with all the wax and othr crap they still managed to start to dread

--
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
4 months ago
27,412 posts

geez the more you wash the more they dread  and they will not lock up in a few months they wil begin to lock up over several months they wont be mature or fully locked for a year

excessive expensive maintenance can make them seem locked up faster but ultimately that only delays or prevents actual locking

people have spent like 20 grand on locticians only to rrealize the hard way that was a huge mistake

--
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Wamabam
@wamabam
4 months ago
6 posts
☮ soaring eagle ॐ:

geez the more you wash the more they dread  and they will not lock up in a few months they wil begin to lock up over several months they wont be mature or fully locked for a year

excessive expensive maintenance can make them seem locked up faster but ultimately that only delays or prevents actual locking

people have spent like 20 grand on locticians only to rrealize the hard way that was a huge mistake

Wow that is insane i think i will just go natural from here on out

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
4 months ago
27,412 posts

i would for sure

--
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Dislike 0