Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Just plain mean

KnotLady
@knotlady
11 years ago
300 posts

perhaps not quite racist...but vERY STEREOTYPICAL. and thats wrong. i dont care how many poser fucks hes run into. he probably was too disgusted to actually talk to those 'dirty white kids" to find out what they were actually like, so he needs to look at the attitude of his heart and ask himself if hes holy enough to reign that kinda judgement on people who might have actually been intellectually stimulating and bathed regularly.
i get it. i dont like it when i see super manicured dreads that are probably full of wax and the person probably thinks my dreads are inferior. but i would not tell them that they shouldnt have dreads. i would just hope they found this site or actually listened when someone told them the truth about over manicured dreads...
JavaLizard said:

Just wow.
I understand feeling hurt by it, but what he said wasn't racist. And in America Bob is black, as a mixed race guy with mix raced kids, we are black. Racism and stereotypes are a hard thing to live with. In his round about way he was simply saying whites don't look good with dreads. Blacks didn't look good with the high cut flat top. (That was a horrible phase) he was simply pointing out a look, perception.

As a black person, who is mixed but since we live in America I'm black, I'm very accepting. But just because someone says whites shouldn't have dreads, doesn't make them racist. I bet he would say Mexicans, Asians, and others if he ran into them. It sounds like he runs into the familiar rich white kid wanting to rebel. It is more a social type casting. It is annoying yes, like when my white niece is like, dude grow a fro, yeah you'd look awesome with a fro.

In truth all black men shouldn't shave their heads, some blacks shouldn't grow a fro, some white should sport a high and tight, etc., some times we ought to consider there is a fashion side to things as well. Not every man can or should grow a beard. I know the fashion side doesn't get brought up a lot here in a non negative view, but it is something we all have to accept, when we don't look good society sees that.

the Barrellady said:

First of all, this person, whoever wrote that article is such a racist. Second of all, this person, is very ignorant on the history of dreads.

Bob Marley was of mixed race, his father was a White English Jamaican and his mother was an Afro-Jamaican. This is a quote from Bob Marley , "I don't have prejudice against meself. My father was a white and my mother was black. Them call me half-caste or whatever. Me don't deh pon nobody's side. Me don't deh pon the black man's side nor the white man's side. Me deh pon God's side, the one who create me and cause me to come from black and white"

A man so full of love for everyone, sang with his inner soul, and wanted this world full of love, and yet there are still comments that separate us. IGNORANCE and SHAME ON ALL RACISTS, no matter who it comes from.

How did this person even come to the conclusion that Caucasian dreads are dirty? That we don't brush our teeth even. I think that they crawled out from under a rock in a cave and met up with a "White" roomie who was just as filthy as them due to living in that cave.

Prejudice comes with ignorance, Why do they assume we like Reggae so much that we want to be a Rastafarian? Why do they assume we never wash? Why do they assume anything? Because that ignorant person has not opened up their heart to Human Beings. Because they never sat down with a Dreadie with long, beautiful locks to have a chat and a cup of coffee. Black or White, there are Dread Heads out there that are filthy, due to homelessness or whatever, but it is not a Caucasian thing only, it is a down on your life thing.

I hope that if that person has children , the children will be able to one day teach them what love is all about to fellow human beings. The comments do not piss me off, they truly break my heart. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE If everyone had this for one another, the world would be such a better place.

updated by @knotlady: 07/23/15 07:42:22AM
jazzymomma
@jazzymomma
11 years ago
175 posts

yes i saw an read it already ingnorant some peoples children i swear and i belive the correct term isnt colored people hun just say black lol be better i think. some dont mind an some do but to be safe always write or say black people ok:D:D much luv an peace:D

PS>

society in general has such a far cry for help in soo many ways... poor souls i swear.... i dont like to be considered part of this society but lol :D

jazzymomma
@jazzymomma
11 years ago
175 posts

oh and forgot to mention haha space brain snarls magee lol O I AGREE WITH UR LOVE STATEMENT FOR SURE HUN

amethyst777
@amethyst777
11 years ago
95 posts

Meh... *shrug* I really don't care at all. If this story makes you feel bad about yourself, then you need to work on that. I love my hair and don't care one bit if other people don't like it. Of course I have other issues with myself, but I wish I felt the same about them too. Don't care, don't care at all :)
Not saying that I don't care about this post... just don't care that that "letter" is out there :)

JavaLizard
@javalizard
11 years ago
89 posts

True not racist but stereotypical, but as I said chances are he runs into stereotypical white college kids.

True story, last night a lady at church was telling me her son did the same thing, went to college, spring break in mexico came back with dreads, rasta stuff, reggae music, and dirty. She said, " No, no, no white boy. Go shower, cut your hair you look like a stupid ass." Coming from the same woman she says she loves my dreads. I think when we run into the majority the minority always gets the shaft. Oddly enough I haven't run into a white person with dreads since 1999, so other than the photo gallery my only impressions are the same type the person writing the letter complained about. So this forum has been quite the interest for me.

But that being said we, I guess who are more aware of stuff, should always conduct ourselves with higher standards so that we become the norm.

KnotLady said:

perhaps not quite racist...but vERY STEREOTYPICAL. and thats wrong. i dont care how many poser fucks hes run into. he probably was too disgusted to actually talk to those 'dirty white kids" to find out what they were actually like, so he needs to look at the attitude of his heart and ask himself if hes holy enough to reign that kinda judgement on people who might have actually been intellectually stimulating and bathed regularly.
i get it. i dont like it when i see super manicured dreads that are probably full of wax and the person probably thinks my dreads are inferior. but i would not tell them that they shouldnt have dreads. i would just hope they found this site or actually listened when someone told them the truth about over manicured dreads...
JavaLizard said:

Just wow.
I understand feeling hurt by it, but what he said wasn't racist. And in America Bob is black, as a mixed race guy with mix raced kids, we are black. Racism and stereotypes are a hard thing to live with. In his round about way he was simply saying whites don't look good with dreads. Blacks didn't look good with the high cut flat top. (That was a horrible phase) he was simply pointing out a look, perception.

As a black person, who is mixed but since we live in America I'm black, I'm very accepting. But just because someone says whites shouldn't have dreads, doesn't make them racist. I bet he would say Mexicans, Asians, and others if he ran into them. It sounds like he runs into the familiar rich white kid wanting to rebel. It is more a social type casting. It is annoying yes, like when my white niece is like, dude grow a fro, yeah you'd look awesome with a fro.

In truth all black men shouldn't shave their heads, some blacks shouldn't grow a fro, some white should sport a high and tight, etc., some times we ought to consider there is a fashion side to things as well. Not every man can or should grow a beard. I know the fashion side doesn't get brought up a lot here in a non negative view, but it is something we all have to accept, when we don't look good society sees that.

the Barrellady said:

First of all, this person, whoever wrote that article is such a racist. Second of all, this person, is very ignorant on the history of dreads.

Bob Marley was of mixed race, his father was a White English Jamaican and his mother was an Afro-Jamaican. This is a quote from Bob Marley , "I don't have prejudice against meself. My father was a white and my mother was black. Them call me half-caste or whatever. Me don't deh pon nobody's side. Me don't deh pon the black man's side nor the white man's side. Me deh pon God's side, the one who create me and cause me to come from black and white"

A man so full of love for everyone, sang with his inner soul, and wanted this world full of love, and yet there are still comments that separate us. IGNORANCE and SHAME ON ALL RACISTS, no matter who it comes from.

How did this person even come to the conclusion that Caucasian dreads are dirty? That we don't brush our teeth even. I think that they crawled out from under a rock in a cave and met up with a "White" roomie who was just as filthy as them due to living in that cave.

Prejudice comes with ignorance, Why do they assume we like Reggae so much that we want to be a Rastafarian? Why do they assume we never wash? Why do they assume anything? Because that ignorant person has not opened up their heart to Human Beings. Because they never sat down with a Dreadie with long, beautiful locks to have a chat and a cup of coffee. Black or White, there are Dread Heads out there that are filthy, due to homelessness or whatever, but it is not a Caucasian thing only, it is a down on your life thing.

I hope that if that person has children , the children will be able to one day teach them what love is all about to fellow human beings. The comments do not piss me off, they truly break my heart. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE If everyone had this for one another, the world would be such a better place.

christina bird
@c-bird
11 years ago
54 posts

i think its fucked up that so many african people think dreadlocks are from africa. dreadlocks have been an important part of ancient indian culture and were also worn by buddhists.

but then who cares where they come from any way. fuck these racist jerks like him. pathetic. i pity that dude.

i've had people in india behave in a really fucked up way too when i had my first set of dreadlocks calling me jamaican n making fun of me but they're plain ignorant and so stupid.

i guess dreadlocks are something people for most of the time are always gonna have some kinda preconceived notions attached to n no matter what there's always some one or the other judging dreadheads.

JavaLizard
@javalizard
11 years ago
89 posts

By the By, he isn't African , I sy he, the writer, isn't African. He is black American. And I do stress that we not read into what he is saying, but maybe simply accept that he is talking about stereotypical college kids in his area.

Racist, no, rude and exacerbating a stereotype, yes.

Ironic that in the country of known origin they joke and tease with ignorance

christina bird said:

i think its fucked up that so many african people think dreadlocks are from africa. dreadlocks have been an important part of ancient indian culture and were also worn by buddhists.

but then who cares where they come from any way. fuck these racist jerks like him. pathetic. i pity that dude.

i've had people in india behave in a really fucked up way too when i had my first set of dreadlocks calling me jamaican n making fun of me but they're plain ignorant and so stupid.

i guess dreadlocks are something people for most of the time are always gonna have some kinda preconceived notions attached to n no matter what there's always some one or the other judging dreadheads.

Miko Smith
@miko-smith
11 years ago
2 posts
I guess what bothers me is the "hilarious" stereotyping. It's pretty offensive if you are someone who wears locks and is white. It's definitely not funny... sort of in the same way that black jokes aren't funny. This is so far off the mark from describing me, or anybody I've ever known with locks. And it's sad that this author would look at my hair and draw these types of conclusions about me as a person. It's simple... Being black or white doesn't matter in regards to wearing locks, since very few people with locks in the US have any culturally significantconnection to their locks. It is a personal journey, and everybody is entitled to that journey. For the record, locks probably did originate in Africa millions of years ago. And spread throughout the world...just like the entire human race likely did. Also for the record, I have a few "mixed" friends who people consider "white". Just sayin.
JavaLizard
@javalizard
11 years ago
89 posts
Are they considered white because of the way they act or skin color? Usually when a mixed person is considered white is because they are considered to act that way. Or they are super super light skinned. Just curious.Also I think racism is a funny thing. When it happens one one race much more blatant little things like commenting on hippie college kids doesn't seem racist at all. I consider people who are like, "dude you should grow a fro" to be ignorant. But a cop pulling me over for driving a car that I don't look like I should be in, that is racist. So my perception is a little skewed that a stereotype on kids who act like that as being racist.
Miko Smith
@miko-smith
11 years ago
2 posts
I honestly couldn't say why others think they're "white"... I guess it's just how they look? Maybe. I don't know exactly what it is to act white or to act black. All people are unique, you know? But I can assure you, I've been harassed by police just like you have. I've been "profiled", and prior to having locks. The only thing about it for me is that I can't blame it on my skin color, since I'm "white". So why does it happen to me? Probably cos that's just how certain police officers do their jobs, and moreover, certain people are just that type. Maybe it's not a race issue after all. Some people are just ignorant, basically. Including the author of this ridiculous editorial.

/ 7

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form