Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Just plain mean

mummy-lou
@mummy-lou
11 years ago
8 posts

I don't know if anyone has already seen this butwas on google just a minute ago, and I typed in "Caucasian dreads" just out of curiosity to see other peoples hair/dreading methods/hairs styles and so on when I came across the following... (I don't know who sent it or where it comes from, but I just wondered if any of you guys find it as upsetting as I did.)

An Open Letter to White People WithDreadlocks

To Whom it May Concern (WHITE PEOPLE WITH DREADS),

Let me begin by explaining that I am not saying this to be a mean ol black hair elitist, Im saying it to be nice. Think of it as a well-meaning PSA-from someone who really, really cares. Maybe everyone else is too polite to say it, but dreadlocks are not the look for you. I know you thought they would be a great idea after meditating with your giant Bob Marley flag youve tacked to your dorm room wall, but theyre not. Dreadlocks are a hairstyle invented by people with coarse, nappy hair (and while were on the subject, please dont EVER use the word nappy to describe your hair its an adjective that does not apply. Curly or coarse, maybe. Nappy? Never.) for people with coarse, nappy hair.

Listen dreads exist because black hair dreads naturally, and because we can usually pull it off (I dont know if its our so-called strong features or just natural smoothness, but it works for us). We dont have to grease our locks up and keep them in rubber-banded clumps for weeks on end without washing to get our hair to dread, okay? All it takes are a couple of days without running a wide-toothed comb through it. Furthermore, the reason you dont usually see black folks running around with dirty, greasy, smelly dreads sticking up every which way is because we understand that even the most low-maintenance of hairstyles requires minimum upkeep. That means SHAMPOO, people. Get a toothbrush, put some conditioning soap on it, and get to work. And for the record Axe hairspray does NOT count. Furthermore, if you dont heed my advice and do decide to get dreads, know this you dont get dreadlocks from simply refusing to wash or comb your hair. If you do that, youre either going to end up looking like PigPen from the Peanuts cartoon strip, or youll soon be sporting the unenviable beaver tail a.k.a when your hair just grows into one matted, stinky eyesore on the back of your head.

Honestly, its kind of insulting to see all these wannabe Rastafarians or whatever youre calling yourselves these days running around. Every time I see one of you out on the streets I cringe and wonder how painful it must be for your parents to have to claim you as their own when you come home to visit from college. You have what looks like a frizzy piece of dog shit hanging down past your butt and some Rasta bracelets, but I recognize that shirt as Marc by Marc 2005, so who are we kidding here? Okay, you like reggae music and refer to yourself as a free spirit on your About Me section on Facebook Im willing to let it slide. Honestly, Ill say whatever I have to say to get you to do us all a favor and spend some of that money on a real haircut and stop making yourself look like a total tool.

Look, I know youre sad, but believe me, I understand hair envy. Why do you think black people spend literally billions of dollars every year in the hair industry? I know you see us walking around with afros, dreads, braids, and cornrows and get jealous that your hair cant do that, but all I ask is for you to just let us have this one. Feel free to go to Mexico for spring break and get your hair braided and beaded so you can feel like an African princess while you down Adios Motherfuckers and win a wet T-shirt contest, I dont care. Just STAY AWAY FROM THE DREADLOCKS. Please trust me when I say that you will look unfailingly ridiculous, and that I cant promise not to surreptitiously cut them off next time youre sitting in front of me on the bus.

Sincerely,

A Friend Who Cares

updated by @mummy-lou: 11/12/15 12:58:37AM
Heather Feather
@heather-feather
11 years ago
21 posts

someone's butthurt

DreadBruja
@dreadbruja
11 years ago
44 posts

WOW, LMAO!!! Omg, they know NOTHING about history of dreadlocks, how very ignorant and sad.....still got a good laugh out of it!

Niesje Sigrid
@niesje-sigrid
11 years ago
56 posts

Ummmm, I haven't greased my hair with anything. I also don't have a "beaver tail" and I wash my hair every 4 days. I still have dreads forming. And they don't come any whiter than me.

JavaLizard
@javalizard
11 years ago
89 posts
As bad as that sounds, it is funny. Because let's be honest most white kids I knew growing up fit that description to a T. I don't know how many free spirit, well, dirty kids went to my high school. They didn't bathe, brush their teeth, smoked pot, and love bob marley, sported the rasta stuff.I think this cat just ran I to too many of them. Because what is common is that these free spirits, when they talk to blacks, try to relate to us like they are black inside.Sad truth race and lifestyle, social norms play a big thing. There is a section on here like hardships with dreads, well that is a white thing. My mom is the only person giving me grief because she likes my curly hair. I do not think he is talking anymore than the social side to it. Most blacks don't know the Indian influence in the Caribbean. In fact most white don't know beyond marley.But the biggest thing is it is sexist. Some white girls look great with dreads, hey get away with murder. But guys not so much. It is a crazy world in which we live. I think if we saw more white guys and gals in suits with dreads the stigma would change, but until then what this guy says is a common view, right or wrong. It still made my day, I laughed a lot.
The Hippie Circle
@the-hippie-circle
11 years ago
34 posts
We pulled into a rest area a few days ago and the black people in the car next to us laughed their asses off at my hair. Sigh....
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

First of all, this person, whoever wrote that article is such a racist. Second of all, this person, is very ignorant on the history of dreads.

Bob Marley was of mixed race, his father was a White English Jamaican and his mother was an Afro-Jamaican. This is a quote from Bob Marley, "I don't have prejudice against meself. My father was a white and my mother was black. Them call me half-caste or whatever. Me don't deh pon nobody's side. Me don't deh pon the black man's side nor the white man's side. Me deh pon God's side, the one who create me and cause me to come from black and white"

A man so full of love for everyone, sang with his inner soul, and wanted this world full of love, and yet there are still comments that separate us. IGNORANCE and SHAME ON ALL RACISTS, no matter who it comes from.

How did this person even come to the conclusion that Caucasian dreads are dirty? That we don't brush our teeth even. I think that they crawled out from under a rock in a cave and met up with a "White" roomie who was just as filthy as them due to living in that cave.

Prejudice comes with ignorance, Why do they assume we like Reggae so much that we want to be a Rastafarian? Why do they assume we never wash? Why do they assume anything? Because that ignorant person has not opened up their heart to Human Beings. Because they never sat down with a Dreadie with long, beautiful locks to have a chat and a cup of coffee. Black or White, there are Dread Heads out there that are filthy, due to homelessness or whatever, but it is not a Caucasian thing only, it is a down on your life thing.

I hope that if that person has children , the children will be able to one day teach them what love is all about to fellow human beings. The comments do not piss me off, they truly break my heart. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE If everyone had this for one another, the world would be such a better place.

JavaLizard
@javalizard
11 years ago
89 posts
Just wow.I understand feeling hurt by it, but what he said wasn't racist. And in America Bob is black, as a mixed race guy with mix raced kids, we are black. Racism and stereotypes are a hard thing to live with. In his round about way he was simply saying whites don't look good with dreads. Blacks didn't look good with the high cut flat top. (That was a horrible phase) he was simply pointing out a look, perception.As a black person, who is mixed but since we live in America I'm black, I'm very accepting. But just because someone says whites shouldn't have dreads, doesn't make them racist. I bet he would say Mexicans, Asians, and others if he ran into them. It sounds like he runs into the familiar rich white kid wanting to rebel. It is more a social type casting. It is annoying yes, like when my white niece is like, dude grow a fro, yeah you'd look awesome with a fro.In truth all black men shouldn't shave their heads, some blacks shouldn't grow a fro, some white should sport a high and tight, etc., some times we ought to consider there is a fashion side to things as well. Not every man can or should grow a beard. I know the fashion side doesn't get brought up a lot here in a non negative view, but it is something we all have to accept, when we don't look good society sees that.

the Barrellady said:

First of all, this person, whoever wrote that article is such a racist. Second of all, this person, is very ignorant on the history of dreads.

Bob Marley was of mixed race, his father was a White English Jamaican and his mother was an Afro-Jamaican. This is a quote from Bob Marley , "I don't have prejudice against meself. My father was a white and my mother was black. Them call me half-caste or whatever. Me don't deh pon nobody's side. Me don't deh pon the black man's side nor the white man's side. Me deh pon God's side, the one who create me and cause me to come from black and white"

A man so full of love for everyone, sang with his inner soul, and wanted this world full of love, and yet there are still comments that separate us. IGNORANCE and SHAME ON ALL RACISTS, no matter who it comes from.

How did this person even come to the conclusion that Caucasian dreads are dirty? That we don't brush our teeth even. I think that they crawled out from under a rock in a cave and met up with a "White" roomie who was just as filthy as them due to living in that cave.

Prejudice comes with ignorance, Why do they assume we like Reggae so much that we want to be a Rastafarian? Why do they assume we never wash? Why do they assume anything? Because that ignorant person has not opened up their heart to Human Beings. Because they never sat down with a Dreadie with long, beautiful locks to have a chat and a cup of coffee. Black or White, there are Dread Heads out there that are filthy, due to homelessness or whatever, but it is not a Caucasian thing only, it is a down on your life thing.

I hope that if that person has children , the children will be able to one day teach them what love is all about to fellow human beings. The comments do not piss me off, they truly break my heart. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE If everyone had this for one another, the world would be such a better place.

Niesje Sigrid
@niesje-sigrid
11 years ago
56 posts

I've been told that dreads are cool, just on dudes. Girls shouldn't have dreads. This came from white and black people. I worked with a Jamaican lady a couple years ago who said she had to cut her dreads off or she would never get married.

JavaLizard said:

As bad as that sounds, it is funny. Because let's be honest most white kids I knew growing up fit that description to a T. I don't know how many free spirit, well, dirty kids went to my high school. They didn't bathe, brush their teeth, smoked pot, and love bob marley , sported the rasta stuff.

I think this cat just ran I to too many of them. Because what is common is that these free spirits, when they talk to blacks, try to relate to us like they are black inside.

Sad truth race and lifestyle, social norms play a big thing. There is a section on here like hardships with dreads, well that is a white thing. My mom is the only person giving me grief because she likes my curly hair. I do not think he is talking anymore than the social side to it. Most blacks don't know the Indian influence in the Caribbean. In fact most white don't know beyond marley.

But the biggest thing is it is sexist. Some white girls look great with dreads, hey get away with murder. But guys not so much. It is a crazy world in which we live. I think if we saw more white guys and gals in suits with dreads the stigma would change, but until then what this guy says is a common view, right or wrong. It still made my day, I laughed a lot.
JavaLizard
@javalizard
11 years ago
89 posts
Sorry to hear that, people in general can be mean. But trust me that's better than having a car full of white people get out of the car and kick the crap out of you, that is a horrible thing, I'd take laughter.But still, if only blacks would realize how silly they talk and wear their pants.

The Hippie Circle said:
We pulled into a rest area a few days ago and the black people in the car next to us laughed their asses off at my hair. Sigh....
 / 7

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form