Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Medical Dreadies?

Niesje Sigrid
@niesje-sigrid
11 years ago
56 posts

I was wondering if anyone is in the medical field? I'm starting training as an EMT in May and I was told I would have to take out my lip rings and brush my dreads out. I work in nursing right now and nobody has a problem with it, but I was wondering if anyone here had issues with their dreads in the medical field? I was told they would get in the way and patients would be put off by it.

updated by @niesje-sigrid: 01/13/15 09:50:21PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

If you have them for a spiritual reason, you can't be told to do anything with your locks. If patients have a problem with it, that would be 1 person out of MANY. Nobody can assume that it would offend someone if they don't know them yet. Like I tell everyone in this situation, get yourself a plain black tam. Tuck all of your locks up in that, and poof, they are out of the way and no one can see them to be offended.

The only thing I can think about with being and EMT is that if you ever have to wear an oxygen mask,they can get in the way of how the mask fits over your head. If so, you can be asked to cut them/take them out/ not given the job because of safety reasons.

Niesje Sigrid
@niesje-sigrid
11 years ago
56 posts

I wear headscarves pretty regularly, but they aren't practical for that kind of work. I have one tam, but it's light blue. Do you think it would look professional? I don't have any professional looking scarves that would hold well without falling/needing to be retied all the time. I may have to invest in a black tam. Thanks :)

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

If it's a solid colour, or not obnoxious? I say black, because it's a standard colour. Other solid colours that don't jump out at you like neon colours and bright orange,red, pink, etc... are ok.

I would just try to stay away from tams that have multiple colours unless it's like a single line of a different one, or the trim

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

tell them uits ilegal descrination and that you already work with patience and it is not an issue

and as an emt whats a patient going to say..no dont restart my heart i want a clean cut emt to save me

tell them they are breaking the law by even suggesting that (not the lip ring that maybe a reasonable request during work hours since someone whacked out on pcp might try to yank it out) but they cannot dare suggest you brush out the sdreds

we have doctors nurse everything with natural dreads

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Niesje Sigrid
@niesje-sigrid
11 years ago
56 posts

I do work with patients now, but I work with dementia patients and half/completely blind old people. I didn't consider that it would be different until someone said something. I also deal with their families, but they seem happy with the quality of care I give the patients and don't worry about it.

Κύριε Ελέησόν
@κύριε-ελέησόν
11 years ago
92 posts
You should be fine. Sometimes the dreads will help you connect to otherwise unruly patients and I'm sure sometimes they may put off pts.I had a polysubstance intox pt the other day who gave night shift HELL. The first thing she said to me was that she liked my dreads. We hit it off from there. I like to think she opened up because she saw I was "different" buuuut lol I'm sure it had more to do with her sobering up. Who knows? But many patients are intrigued by them and it gives them a way to relax and just converse.I second what Baba said though. I'm pretty sure if you have to wear a mask for your job, you will be required to brush them out. When safety is at stake you have to do what you have to do, you know? If you're just doing EMS then I bet you'll be ok but I would guess dreads are out of the question for police/firefighters who have to don gas masks/protective masks. You might look into that.Best wishes on your EMT classes! I almost got my first responder and was considering becoming a paramedic but the thought of throwing my back scared me... so now I'm pursuing nursing... Another career path with one the highest amount of back injuries... Lol, whatever!No matter what though, you've picked an awesome field!
Niesje Sigrid
@niesje-sigrid
11 years ago
56 posts

Yeah, I've hurt myself several times in nursing. I'm still recovering from a wrist injury right now. Just be careful and use good body mechanics. It doesn't hurt to be in shape. I also read that to be a firefighter I'd have to have a hairstyle that "tapered to the shape of the head" to fit the helmet. Luckily that line of work doesn't interest me in the least :) I think I'll just find some unobtrusive hats to wear and if anyone says anything just tell'em to shove it lol. What else can I do? My dreads are for life.

said:

You should be fine. Sometimes the dreads will help you connect to otherwise unruly patients and I'm sure sometimes they may put off pts.

I had a polysubstance intox pt the other day who gave night shift HELL. The first thing she said to me was that she liked my dreads. We hit it off from there. I like to think she opened up because she saw I was "different" buuuut lol I'm sure it had more to do with her sobering up. Who knows? But many patients are intrigued by them and it gives them a way to relax and just converse.

I second what Baba said though. I'm pretty sure if you have to wear a mask for your job, you will be required to brush them out. When safety is at stake you have to do what you have to do, you know? If you're just doing EMS then I bet you'll be ok but I would guess dreads are out of the question for police/firefighters who have to don gas masks/protective masks. You might look into that.

Best wishes on your EMT classes! I almost got my first responder and was considering becoming a paramedic but the thought of throwing my back scared me... so now I'm pursuing nursing... Another career path with one the highest amount of back injuries... Lol, whatever!

No matter what though, you've picked an awesome field!
n00dles
@n00dles
11 years ago
20 posts

i am a student for medical assistant so not employed yet but every thursday we are learning/working in hospital.i was told at the beginning to take off my lip piercing ok it wasnt a big deal for me.my dreads arent a problem but when i put beads and wraps in them my teacher told me to take it off.i didnt listen and they seem to dont mind..btw patients stare at me like i am from different planet lol.but no mean comments yet.actually i got one nice compliment from an old lady:)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form