Like this page? Then share it!
Dreadlocks Forums

Dread ignorance

Kelly3
@kelly3
3 years ago
337 posts

Unfortunately, dreads are not a shield for negativity. They are a magnet for it. Don't get me wrong, you will get positive comments too, but they will in no way shield you from negativity. The problem is that most kids are idiots. It is that simple. We all wentthroughthat same phase, but it is a fact of life. They identify differences and will pick on you because of those differences. But like I said, the effect this will have is tograduallymake you care less about what others think. It is a positive effect and will ensure that you don't feel the need to follow the herd, as many people do. This is not to say that following the herd is negative all the time, but it will hopefully leave you free to decide when it is a good or bad idea.

It is possible that your dreads fell out in the first place because they were not situated in a natural position on your scalp. They should be let do what they want, but you know this now, so all good.

Do you know about the one square inch rule? That is the biggest that any of your dreads should be at the scalp. Also, there should be many different sized sections.

updated by @kelly3: 07/22/15 11:37:56AM
Rebecca halpryn
@rebecca-halpryn
3 years ago
19 posts
I think the majority of my dreads are about half-2/3 of that. I have pretty thin ones. I just kind of grabbed at my hair (I didn't seperate it before dreading it) and seperated it by how it felt natural, keeping it small.
Kelly3
@kelly3
3 years ago
337 posts

That is great news. You're on you way to healthy dreads. Now post some pics and record you progress. It's fun to look back and see where you've come from. :)

Take care, and don't let the others get you down!

Eddy St. King
@eddy-st-king
3 years ago
50 posts

Ah, high school. a bunch of insecure people always judging at the blink of an eye out of envy. I really do applaud you in my wildest dreams I would've never attempted this journey in high school just because it's a bunch of bullshit from people all the time that i just don't want to hear 24/7. You are valiant! Anyways, from looking at the picture they look fine! It's the beginning stages. Please stick with it you're only with those idiots for two more years anyways after that no one keeps in touch from high school trust me! And I was on my iphone THROUGHOUT high school and got A's and B's so right on ;)
Jah Bless

Marcellus Wallace
@marcellus-wallace
3 years ago
46 posts

I had dreads same age, same grade, same situation (except i didn't tnr). It is now 7 years later and i have a different set of dreads. You will find that the people that appreciate your hair become good well rounded people, the ones who are telling you what you "should" look like however will lose themselves to their ego and will fall into a life without meaning. At the end of the year, I won "craziest hair" which was an award apparently.I consider dreads as a good filter for people, it weeds out the self righteous and ignorant. Also, from what i know tnr is supposed to become undone and then knot back up, by redoing it all you did was start back at the beginning, it will need to be a mess before it dreads.

Rebecca halpryn
@rebecca-halpryn
3 years ago
19 posts
Thanks!
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
3 years ago
2,730 posts

Maybe I lucked out in HS. The were no cliques tat only certain"types" fit into. The jocks smoked pot with the stoners. The stoners hung out with he nerds. It was pretty all-inclusive. That said, I didn't have a lasing set of locks when I was in hs. I did have a few different mohawks and wore all black and a black leather trench coat. So I stood out. I wanted to, in a way. People used to think I would shoot up the school. But the teachers and kids in my grade knew better and put the underclassmen at ease.
People will stare at you. People will judge you. HS isn't as bad as middle school, but it's still chock full of people finding their own path. If you like the one you're on, stick with it and ignore everyone else.
The people who you want to be around you, won't judge you. If they do, they aren't good people to be around. Of course friends may make fun of your hair. It's how they do it that matters. If it's all in good fun, laugh back. If they are mean about it, laugh anyway. You know you look funny right now. All baby locks look funny. Hell, all mature locks look funny. It's nappy crazy hair. Look at Einstein. Everyone makes fun of his wild hair. That doesn't mean we respect him less because of it.
If you prove yourself to be a well adjusted, intelligent, friendly person, people will overlook anything odd about your appearance.

/ 2
Dislike 0

Share This

Tags

comments powered by Disqus