Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hair Gel for my Dreads? A Yes or a No No?

Larra Juab
@larra-juab
11 years ago
76 posts

Hello Everybody! So to start off, I was wondering if I can put a little amount of gel to my baby dreads. I'm planning to put some because sooner or later, my family and I need to attend to a formal ceremony or sort of like that and my mom and dad has been really kind of not OKAY with my dreads because they say it's too messy.

So I was wondering if anyone got an advice about my problem. Your opinions are really a big help to me.

Thanks in advance! :D

updated by @larra-juab: 01/13/15 09:42:50PM
Mons
@mons
11 years ago
518 posts
A bit of aloe straight from the plant, or the dreadlockshampoo.com locking gel would be preferable over regular hair gel. Regular gel is gong to get into the dreads and leave gunk.
Larra Juab
@larra-juab
11 years ago
76 posts

Thank you for your wonderful advises Mons and Amanda. I might try making my own hair gel because I don't have much more time, Thanks again guys! :D You are mysaviors<3

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

If you're on a time constraint, it'll be quicker to get an aloe plant than to wait for shipping. Even though Vicki ships really fast, you can never trust the post office.

Aloe will work fine, but is a little conditioning. So if you wash it out the next day and notice your locks feeling a bit looser, it's ok. It happens. And if you need to clean them up, it's worth it. I wouldn't use aloe or gel daily.

JustSomeChick
@justsomechick
11 years ago
96 posts

a lot of people recommend the locking gel from dreadlocks shampoo, but honestly you can make your own version at home for much cheaper. I make flax seed gel. Get a cup of water and bring it to a boil, then lower the heat. Put 2 tablespoons of flax seeds in a mesh bag and put in the boiling water. stir constantly until a gel starts to form. don't go too long though or you'll make a gel that is so gelly it can't be used. when you're done, bottle it and add whatever essential oils you want.

or you can use aloe vera gel, but i prefer flax seed gel.

Larra Juab
@larra-juab
11 years ago
76 posts

Thanks for the advice, but I really have trouble looking for Aloe plants. I'm not really sure where to find them though :( And oh no no - I'm just gonna use the gel for like half day not daily.

Baba Fats said:

If you're on a time constraint, it'll be quicker to get an aloe plant than to wait for shipping. Even though Vicki ships really fast, you can never trust the post office.

Aloe will work fine, but is a little conditioning. So if you wash it out the next day and notice your locks feeling a bit looser, it's ok. It happens. And if you need to clean them up, it's worth it. I wouldn't use aloe or gel daily.

Larra Juab
@larra-juab
11 years ago
76 posts

YAAAY ! A recipe! :D thank you so much, I'll try to find some flax seed as soon as I can cause I'm having a hard time looking for Aloe vera too. And then again - thank you so much for the recipe, this will really help :D

JustSomeChick said:

a lot of people recommend the locking gel from dreadlocks shampoo, but honestly you can make your own version at home for much cheaper. I make flax seed gel. Get a cup of water and bring it to a boil, then lower the heat. Put 2 tablespoons of flax seeds in a mesh bag and put in the boiling water. stir constantly until a gel starts to form. don't go too long though or you'll make a gel that is so gelly it can't be used. when you're done, bottle it and add whatever essential oils you want.

or you can use aloe vera gel, but i prefer flax seed gel.

JustSomeChick
@justsomechick
11 years ago
96 posts

No problem! I usually get my flax seed from the bulk bins at whole foods, but i'm pretty sure most grocery and health food stores carry flax seed.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form