Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums
maddie ary
@maddie-ary
12 years ago
28 posts

MY DREADS ARE GONE!
my mom brushed them out, she told me i couldnt have them anymore because she was embarrassed! i told her she wasn't touching my hair and why she cares so much what other people think, she thinks shes helping me, but shes not i strongly dislike her. but it went on and on for like 2 hours. my dad ended up calling me and talking to me about it. he loves my dreads but he said i have 2 more years then i can do whatever, and all im doing is making it harder on myself. sooo i let my mom take them out. im so mad. it makes me just want to cry thinking about it. PISSED!

i feel so ugly now without them lol.

i miss my hair!

updated by @maddie-ary: 02/14/15 08:31:34AM
elke.in.alaska
@elkeinalaska
12 years ago
90 posts
:( so sorry! There's no way you're ugly. Gorgeous all the way girl no matter what your hairs doing.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

sit her down ewxplain calmly how traumatic it was and how its torture to be without them and its abusive to force ytou to look a way that yupou dont like tell her she can embarrass you in her own way and you have to deal with it so does she

its part of growing up and she needs to do some too

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
shadow findley
@shadow-findley
12 years ago
7 posts

OMG noooooooooo i would kill my mother but my mom loves dreads but my step mom doesnt im actually kinda afraid of sleeping in her house incase she cuts them out she believes the stereotypes that comes with dreads

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

how old are you? You're supposed to do things your parents don't like. I had mohawks, gauged ears, lip, tongue, and septum peirced.

I get that you are being the dutiful kid. I respect that. It's nice of you. But you should be allowed to do things you like too. You can't always say yes and roll over.

I'd explain it to them that it's a part of who you are, and that you want to express yourself. You have to be your own woman.

elke.in.alaska
@elkeinalaska
12 years ago
90 posts
Lol @ Tyler :) that'd NEVER work on me. If any of my kids called me a bitch they'd be indentured servants until they paid that off. Of course I'd never ask my kid to cut their dreads :)
adrian pacheco
@adrian-pacheco
12 years ago
45 posts

:o thats terrible my dad tried to do the same thing he hates my dreads but he getting over it i guess but my mom dont mind she just tells me to keep them clean and stuff i have people at school who tell me to cut my hair that im dirty and i tell them no im not i was my hair and keep it clean

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

Well what I would do is write a long and passionate letter explaining exactly how you feel and why, just it hurts you, how you don't feel like yourself, how you feel ugly. Why was so important you to have them. Tell her how selfish it was to put her embarrassment in. Front of your self-image and mental well-being. Tell her how devastating and depressing it is.

Then just want her how she would feel, to have an arm cut off because it was hairier that another, or leg, because one toe is bigger than the rest.

Just if something different than the way you like it doesn't give you the right to forcibly change it.
Losing your dreads is as bad as losing a leg or arm. all because she saw it as a flaw not as something something of beauty

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Nasya L'Bert
@nasya-lbert
12 years ago
13 posts

:( aw man thats not right! I wouldn't have let my mom do that at all. Yeah I would definitely talk to her about it. Even educate her about them. And personally if it were me, I would grow them regardless. It didn't sound like she actually forced you down and brushed them out. If I were you right now I would be very rebelious and stop combing again (but again thats just me).

Be what's you I guess. And good luck on whatever happens next.

Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts

Ugh. Being a teenager is hard. You're old enough to know your own mind but not old enough to act on it as you please. It's a real shame your mom won't allow you to express yourself in such a harmless manner.

You're a good daughter to care enough to want to makes things go smoothly with your mom. I was not like that. Had I had dreads as a teen and had my mother telling me to comb them out...I'd have done the exact opposite. Tension be damned. I'd had put as many dread extensions in my hair as possible. In every colour of the rainbow. Then I'd start doing other things like painting my face or stenciling fake tattoos all over my body.

You are at the age where there needs to be an expansion of mutual respect between parent and child. You might not be able to change your mothers mind but I think you should follow S.E.'s advice explain to your mother how you feel. Either in person or in a letter. I'm partial to letters simply because it's easier to explain yourself without the other person derailing the conversation or putting words into your mouth. Especially for such an emotional topic as this seems to be.

Your mom needs to know how you feel. Just don't expect her to respect your feelings right away. It seems she still views you as a child to mold and protect rather than someone on their way to adulthood.

Good luck to you. And remember that you are still beautiful. Your hair doesn't change that. You could be completely hairless and you would still be beautiful. Never ever forget that. Never.

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form