Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dreadlocks at school??

Star Gryphon
@star-gryphon
12 years ago
190 posts

I'm wondering if enforcing hair styles as a part of a school dress code a new thing? I remember lots of people who I hung out with would be dying their hair all sorts of colors. That or huge spikes that were made with elmer's glue standing up all different directions on their heads. My hair didn't dread....but I went all senior year without using a brush on my hair once. It might be dependent on where you live but I've noticed a higher acceptance of visible tattoos and piercings that are allowed to be worn by employees. Unfortunately I'm out of touch with the current generation of high school students and what is the norm for dress code and how strict it is all being enforced. A lot has changed in the 12 years since I've graduated high school.

I say if you want to grow dreads...do it. Let them come in naturally. If they try and punish you for your hairstyle choices maybe see if you can get the media involved? If you are keeping your hair clean and washed, and over all good hygiene why should your hair in it's natural state be a distraction? How is it any different than someone who has super curly hair who may get just as much attention? How is one ok but not the other? It's discrimination.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

It's been 7 years since I graduated high school. We never had a dress code. but from what I've been told, and researched myself, they would have to specifically state "no dreadlocks". And by doing that, they would be breaking the law. Some religions require locks. Or at least have locks as a cultural symbol. By denying locks as a rule, they would be committing religiousdiscrimination

The only thing I can imagine about locks being distracting is that they get frizzy and wild. A kids sitting behind you may not be able to see clearly around your head. But that goes for fro's too. You don't see "no afro's" written into the dress code.

Debbie Jones
@debbie-jones
11 years ago
1 posts

Hi, have read this post but wondered if there was any UK people here? I have a 14 yr old who wants his hair dreaded, a friend who can help me do that. However just wondering has anyone had any experience og dreads and UK school systems. School rules say no extreme hairstyles, however, researching I haven't found dreads mentioned in this, only shaved heads, or punk style colours, or mohawks.

Any advice?

Larra Juab
@larra-juab
11 years ago
76 posts

Before I had half of my head dreadlocked for about a month and 2 weeks and I always put up my straight hair and leave my dreads alone. I walk around the school with it and talk to teachers, but no teacher ever questioned me about my hair and I study in a Public School right now, and I'm still in HS. I think they just really go so strict when it comes to hair colors.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

I'm not sure about the religious tolerance in the UK, but I'm pretty sure it's similar to the US. Because many people grow locks for spiritual reasons, and that they are mostassociatedwith Rasta, banning locks would be like telling a jew or muslim that they cannot wear their head covering. They can say "No extreme hairstyles". But legally they can't specifically say "No dreadlocks".

Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts

How would they go about "forcing" you to do something? They can't legally touch you. Maybe they can try suspend you. If they do, you get a few days off. No big deal. If they try to further it, send a solicitors letter. That should stop them in their tracks.

@ Debbie Jones- Don't get his dreads "made". Let them grow. At the very most they could be TnR'd, but with the natural method they grow in over time and the school administrators wont even notice them happening.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

be careful how this freinds going to "help you" chances are good they will hurt not help

you should do it yourself if u tnr if not then go natural the natural way is the way protected under freedom of religion anyway

Debbie Jones said:

Hi, have read this post but wondered if there was any UK people here? I have a 14 yr old who wants his hair dreaded, a friend who can help me do that. However just wondering has anyone had any experience og dreads and UK school systems. School rules say no extreme hairstyles, however, researching I haven't found dreads mentioned in this, only shaved heads, or punk style colours, or mohawks.

Any advice?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Janell Draper
@janell-draper
10 years ago
9 posts

My 5 year old was growing dreads and they insisted she comb them out. Some mean kid had thrown sand in hair. I got most of it out. But I knew the rest would take time. But they kept saying that her hair was to unruly and something needed to be done. They even were going to have her play salon with some other girls brush and do each others hair. To avoid conflict we combed out what we could and cut what we couldn't. She now has an a-symetrical pixie cut. The back is buzzed kinda on the longer side. When the back grows out some more I am going to make synthetic kanekalon dreads and put them in. She can have those till she finishes school in May. After that I will take them out and let it dread naturally. She will not be going back to school in the fall. We plan to travel full time and she will began homeschool.

updated by @janell-draper: 07/23/15 07:52:24AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

i wouldnt have let them get away with that

to avoid conflict? where would we be without conflict?

life would be hell without it everyone would be slaves with no rights at all all because they wanted to avoid conflict..the conflict that was nesacary to free themselves society cannot progress without conflict (non violent conflict i mean)

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Janell Draper
@janell-draper
10 years ago
9 posts

Well, she is still going to get back her dreads just in more neat way. Like I said I am going to make her some synthetic kanekalon dreads and then they will be less unruly and by the time she is out of school they will have helped the natural process speed up.

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form