Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dreadlocks at school??

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

It's not quite the same, but I worked at a whole foods that had issues with hair too. The boss actually said that when he was given the store, he could run it like it was his own business. He then proceeded to do so. A few girls with dyed hair were told to either dye it back to normal/ cover it up/ or find another job. I was told that if my hair got too long to fit under a hair net, I'd have to choose between my hair and my job. Long story short, I didn't let him stop me. I made a stink about it to corporate, and all of a sudden he started letting us wear a few different types of hats. One was a tam.

There are some times that you really can fight the system and they can't do anything to you. Don't give in. They can't suspend you for having locks. They can look down on you, but who cares what they think?

Moral of the story: don't work for whole foods. lol.

Shannon Friedel
@shannon-friedel
12 years ago
8 posts

Omg. What school is this? And If I were you, I would just let it go. They wouldn't even know what was going on, to be honest. If they are that strict, then they probably don't know what dreadlocks look like when their formed naturally. They might just think your crazy or something.

Go for it.

❀.Zombeth.☮)O(
@zombetho
12 years ago
42 posts
I'm glad my school allows dreads.. even though I'm the only one with natural locks.. however.. most classes do not allow facial piercings..ha but i have 4 facial piercings
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

same here except for thepiercings. My school was cool about most everything. I was the only kid in my school with a mohawk for the entire 4 years I was there. I had dyed hair, the works. I had my first set of locks in my senior year. The only dress code the tried to enforce was that we couldn't wear coats in school. they had to be in a locker. Funny thing was that everyone was scared of me in high school. I wore combat boots with spikes, all black, black nail polish and eyeliner, 00 gauge lobe, 12-10 gauges up the sides, my lip, and tongue pierced, purple mohawk, and a black leather trench coat. I never took my coat off even for gym. And I was never asked to. I don't know if it was a fear thing, cause by the time I was a senior, all the new freshmen were scared of me, but everyone, including the teachers stood up for me and said I'd never hurt a fly. They still never argued with me about the coat though.

Stand up for yourself. What are they really going to do? If they try to suspend you, you can have your parents come in and say that they want you in school. If your parents do that, they have to comply. Suspension is only successful because most parents don't contend it.

Noah Ralph
@noah-ralph
12 years ago
8 posts

Just to be the devils advocate, I went to an american high school, and while I didnt have locks at the time, all of my friends did. While the school could do nothing about it, they could still make life pretty hard. They would always search us for cigarettes and drugs, and they told people in the police department to pull us over whenever they could.

I encourage you do get dreads because you have to be your own person regardless of what bullshit people throw at you, but just be aware of the consequences it will bring from a conservative system.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

:-) I stopped getting high when I started to grow my locks. It's strange, I know, but I always wanted to get pulled over and annoy the cop by letting him search me and my car and find nothing. I'd accuse him of profiling and everything

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

problem with saying it religious, is that if they make a stink, you have to prove that you practice something that is a widely accepted religion. It took a long time for wicca to be recognized by the government as a real religion

Valentin the Jellyfish
@valentin-the-jellyfish
12 years ago
79 posts

RESIST!

Im pretty sure i read in my schools rule book somewhere "Hair must be brushed and clean"

but a few people at my school have dreads, but im the only going natural. i got randomly drug tested last week for soccer, i have never been high so i wasnt worried. But i think the dude that was testing my thought i was a huge stoner, with my long dreading hair and a shit that say "Big brother is watching you." hahaha

updated by @valentin-the-jellyfish: 07/23/15 07:41:21AM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

If you play a sport, it's not uncommon for kids to get drug tested. Don't chalk that up to having locks. They'd do that to anyone they think they have a reason to test. They can't do it to anyone in the school, but for sports it's a different story.

The~Wraith
@thewraith
12 years ago
7 posts

i have no idea how this will help your situation but i figured i would share lol

back when i was in highschool they once tried to tell me i couldnt wear a jacket that i had because basically it wasnt a prep jock prikhead jersy it was more of a biker meets alien battle suit thing..it was distracting, it was ugly and i supose if i wanted to i could have maimed a student with it however i wouldnt take it off and decided i would wear it daily from then on. i mean after all the short skirt prep girls were a pretty large distraction as well, and the roid rage jocks were just as dangerous( well ok maybe they were 2 stupid to be much a danger but ahwell) eventually they tried to expel me over that, so to really grind their gears i being white wore a shirt i printed up that said kill whitey and a black friend of mine came to school wearing swastikas they called us into the office to piss n moan at us a bit and order us to remove those shirts, so we did...i put on the swastika he put on kill whitey and we both went on a nice vacation lol...i guess my point is screw the school, screw conformity, screw authority....

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form