Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Washing My Dreads

Kyle Adams
@kyle-adams
12 years ago
32 posts
So I've decided I'll probably was my dreads for the first time on Thirsday and I am trying to get a the information I can get.So I was going to do the baking soda wash with various oils like peppermint, tea tree, and lavender. My question is if I should do the Apple Cider rinse now or wait until they are a little more mature? Also, if lavender only prevents mold spores in White Vinager or Apple Cider as well?
updated by @kyle-adams: 01/13/15 09:34:07PM
Samir N
@samir-n
12 years ago
5 posts

An article here says you don't NEED to vinegar wash.. But I like it personally, has a nice effect on your hair. I'd say just don't overdo it and you'll be fine.. Put it in for 1 minute tops and rinse it.. As your dreads mature you can do 2-5 minutes.. and when they're fully mature you can even use conditioner if you choose, but I'm getting ahead of myself now lol

Kyle Adams
@kyle-adams
12 years ago
32 posts

I'll try it for just 1 minute or so. Soaring Eagle said it helps balance the PH in the hair so that's where it came from haha. Do you know anything about the "White Vinegar" part of my question perhaps?

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

White vinegar is not ideal. Apple cider vinegar is much better.

If you have baby locks, don't leave the ACV in for any length of time. Just pour it on and wash it out right away. It is an acid, so it softens your hair and closes your hair follicles. This does make it a bit slicker. It's needed to balance your pH. If you have oily hair, you don't need to use it every time, but should use it at least once a week until you're not oily anymore. Once you're not oily, use it every time.

Baby locks should only use about a capfull per 1 gallon of water. Mature locks can use a few Tbls in a gallon of water.

Kyle Adams
@kyle-adams
12 years ago
32 posts

Oh awesome. Thanks again!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

mature locks i use the same ammoundt as bs so 1/2 a cup or so

lavander i think kills mold spores somewhat but if u have an active colony of mold then you want the white vinager 3/4 white vinager 1/4 water so very strong add the lavender to that to kill the mold

using a few drops in your bs/acg is just preventative measure

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Kyle Adams
@kyle-adams
12 years ago
32 posts

Gotcha. Thanks for all the advice. I feel confident in washing my hair now haha. :)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form