Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

It's not a race

Joshua Earl Lee Darnell
@joshua-earl-lee-darnell
12 years ago
10 posts
Skill teacher should stick to the hack sack:) in one of his his "dread sessions" he is explaining how important it is to crochet carefully so that you don't rip the hair and in in the very next instant he is going at it like a frickin sowing machine! Hilarious!
updated by @joshua-earl-lee-darnell: 07/22/15 05:57:42AM
Joshua Earl Lee Darnell
@joshua-earl-lee-darnell
12 years ago
10 posts
He is an amazing hacky sacker!
Esjay
@esjay
12 years ago
7 posts

i stopped brushing my hair on April 27th - going natural method - i have been loving my journey so far.....slow though. A friend of mine crochet hooked her hair a few weeks ago and hers looks good, so to remind my self that im doing it good im constantly coming back to this site lol:)

Jackie
@jackie
12 years ago
78 posts

Dude is a champ at sacking, but watching him and those salon people hacking at his wife's head was
crazy! I mean, she looked like she was in so much pain, but was trying to tough it out on camera. Her head looks like a grid. :( I found him on Youtube while trying to attach my sister's hair to my dread. I ended up using a needle and hair as thread, but I found it fascinating that she would actually let him cut one of her dreads for a fucking Youtube video!!!
Joshua Earl Lee Darnell said:

He is an amazing hacky sacker!
Star Gryphon
@star-gryphon
12 years ago
190 posts

I was just almost wishing for that stage again too! If I knew then what I knew now. :)

I really do love seeing the early stages that show those first noticeable changes! I remember being so proud and excited for those tangles that more than likely only I was aware of!

Baba Fats said:

I agree. I hear it all the time from members that once they embraced the messy stages, they started to love to look in the mirror and see all of the new loops and bumps they could find.

My locks are old now. I do have a few new babies forming on top of my head, but I don't have that whole head of messy tangled hair anymore. Once in a while, when I check out new heads pics, I get sentimental and kind of miss that phase

frederic masure
@frederic-masure
12 years ago
15 posts

soaring eagle said:

awesome

Stephani said:

I'll talk to them and see what we can all work out!

soaring eagle said:

when u go do a pressentation at your school with yiour teachers ..can i come too or can i do a video pressentation to take with you or something?

Hey good morning (in western Europe). I have six year old dreads and yes I also fell for the crocheting myth. So I believed all the usual crap the so called professional told me and spent shitloads of money to have them redone every 7 or 8 months. My new growth started to do all the funky stuff described by everyone here, and while I was told for years the "mess" needed to be redone, turns out my hair was in the process of dreading on its own. I was about to make a new appointment to fuck up my hair some more when I stumbled on you guys, and now I'm going natural hoping I won't have to cut my waiste long dreads. But I'll do it if I have to.

When confronted with what I had learned here, the "stylist" got irritated and denied eveything people like SE say about dreads. I really feel betrayed. Live and learn I guess and THANKS for opening my eyes!

jacquie2
@jacquie2
12 years ago
24 posts

absolutely correct couldnt say it better for myself and have been a stylist for over 30 plus year and have always thought that you must keep up on education .

Stephani said:

Oh b e li e v e m e I compl e t e ly und e rstand what you ar e saying wh e n it com e s to hairstylists who don't want to list e n. I e v e n work with on e . Wh e n I told my cowork e rs I was giving mys e lf dr e ads, sh e was first to pip e in with "oh you ar e going to stink". I lit e rally just laugh e d in h e r fac e th e n look e d at h e r and said, w e ll I gu e ss you wont hav e to sm e ll m e th e n. It's funny how p e opl e g e t so s e t in th e ir ways, and n e v e r want to grow and l e arn. To m e lif e is all about l e arning and e xp e ri e ncing n e w things, and n e v e r s e ttling for anything l e ss th e n that.

As for th e on e who said th e wax mak e s your hair r e m e mb e r how to lock up. That is just nons e ns e and actually kind of humorous. Th e r e is not on e thing in this world that can mak e your hair r e m e mb e r what to do. Hair do e s not hav e a brain, th e r e for e , it do e s not r e m e mb e r. Hair is mad e of k e ratin, which is prot e in. If you cov e r th e k e ratin with wax it is just going to build up on th e hair.

As for Jonny Cl e an, h e cl e arly just wants to s e ll his products. Which is sad.

soaring e agl e said:

oh i know you ar e 100% right th e thing is

wh e n you t e ll som e of th e m how bad say wax or croch e t or int e rlocking is th e y call you crazy and r e fus e to list e n or e v e n concid e r th e facts

lik e on youtub e skillt e ach e r push e s croch e t ..to hundr e ds of thousandsa and e v e n tho his wif e s dr e ads f e ll off in his hand if u dar say croch e ts bad h e blocks you inst e ad of list e nung

th e n th e r e s th e shaggy w e irdo that int e rlocks and mak e s ppl go bald y e t you try to t e ach e m dif e r e ntly th e y go on th e attack

now many stylists do undr e rstand th e try]=uth and u gotta r e sp e ct th e m

but th e n th e r e rs oth e rs that say th e y know croch e t or wax or what e v e r is harmful but th e y do it anyway caus e thats what th e custom e rs want..but dio th e ty try to e ducat e th e custom e rs? do th e y try to talk th e m out of it? or do th e y just tak e th e mon e y and run

h e ll iv e e v e n had som e salons li e about th e t e chniqu e s th e y us e lik e w e irdsistas th e y orif=ginaly told n e th e y hat e d croch e t caus e it was too d e structiv e and th e y inst e ad us e d th e ir own s e cr e t w e aving t e chniqu e .. a month lat e r i find out th e y do croch e t andthats all th e y do

oh w e e v e n had a guy who is 1 of th e ppl that t e ach th e t e ach e rs that t e ach you to us e wax h e join e d h e r e and w e mad e a discusion call e d t e ach a t e ach e r about dr e ad wax or som e thing but h e r e fus e d to list e n at all and w e nt on and on with som e nons e nc e about wax causing "hair m e mory" that mad e th e hair r e m e mb e r how to stay tog e tbh e r in dr e ads..non e of which n]\mad e s e ns e

th e n th e r e was th e gr e at d e bat e with jonny cl e an..lol wh e r e h e admitt e d that wax pr e v e nt e d th e for mation of any n e w knots aft e r day 1

th e n d e fin e d maturity by how hard th e wax insid e got..

i gu e ss im rambling but th e pint is w e lov e and r e sp e ct hairdr e ss e rs that ar e wulling to l e arn!

h e ll pant e rra id say has an honourary phd in hairology and w e all r e sp e ct th e h e ll outra h e r

but

mor e oft e n th e n not th e salons and locticians and hairdr e ss e rs w e com e in contact with ar e th e typ e s tbhat r e fus to l e arn or v e n concid e r logical truths or e v e n discuss th e issu e s without blowing up into nons e nc e argum e nts

St e phani said:

As a hairstylist I did not know that w e w e r e dislik e d by so many. I start e d my dr e ads with twist and rip, I us e d no products at all. B e for e I start e d my dr e ads I did quit e a bit of r e s e arch. I'v e b e e n in th e industry for 6 y e ars now, and still f e lt I want e d to b e compl e t e ly e ducat e d on dr e ads and all of th e proc e ss e s. I will t e ll you all that in school w e ar e taught to us e wax, and told that shampooing will damag e th e dr e ads. I now know diff e r e ntly, as do th e oth e r stylists in my salon (thanks to m e e ducating th e m). So r e ally, a p e rson shouldn't blam e a stylist for b e ing poorly e ducat e d. W e all think w e ar e r e c e iving top notch e ducation wh e n w e pay thousands of dollars for it. W e can how e v e r blam e th e stylist for not FURTH E RING that e ducation onc e e nt e ring th e industry as a prof e ssional. I do wish, how e v e r, that I wouldn't g e t a bad rap just by b e ing a hairstylist, lik e som e of my p e e rs do. It kind of falls into a st e r e otyp e situation, th e sam e as p e opl e thinking dr e ads ar e a dirty disgrac e ful thing to want or hav e . I r e ally hop e I'v e mad e s e ns e in trying to e xplain mys e lf, and that this do e sn't com e across as m e an. I'm r e ally just trying to sh e d som e light as to why som e stylist think th e y should do things th e way th e y w e r e taught.

Jayke Watson
@jayke-watson
11 years ago
118 posts

Can someone link me to the discussion with Johnny Clean? I'm really interested to see it but I can't find it anywhere...

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/official-johnny-clean?id=3754945%3ATopic%3A85196&page=1#comments

Jayke Watson said:

Can someone link me to the discussion with Johnny Clean? I'm really interested to see it but I can't find it anywhere...

Jayke Watson
@jayke-watson
11 years ago
118 posts

Thanks Baba!

Baba Fats said:

http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/official-johnny-clean?id...

Jayke Watson said:

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form