Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

HELP NEED ADVICE

Spencer Dill
@spencer-dill
12 years ago
6 posts
So I started my journey about 4 months ago and I just recently found this website. Everything has been going fine, just slow. The past few weeks I have been wading my hair, on a daily basis with dr. Bronners. I switched to baking soda this Monday and I am trying to wash it every other day and progressively less overtime. The only issue is my hair gets extremely greasy very quickly. It also kinda smells now that I'm not using actual soap. Any advice/tips/ ideas would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you
updated by @spencer-dill: 02/14/15 09:51:38AM
Gilly's Mum
@gillys-mum
12 years ago
25 posts

Try aadding some essential oils to your baking soda rinse, they smell really lovely and help the balance of everything... as far as the greasyness goes, hopefully some one else will be able to help you there... the only thing I do know is that over time your scalp will produce less oil as it is washed and scrubbed less frequently. Your head sort of uses a supply and demand and when we wash away the natural oils from our scalp, it feels the need to produce more.

jeffrey gedack
@jeffrey-gedack
12 years ago
2 posts

the greasyness is probley the result of washing everyday... deffintley try goin a lil longer between washes...i wash me hair 2 maybe three times a week with BS/ACV. im to much of a cheapskate to get oils so i make tea from rosemary,lavender, excetra if need be... deffintley cuts the greasee feellin.hope thats some help...

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

washing daily makes u greasy strip oils away and the scalp panics and produces oils

whats the smell like washing daily may not let it dry enough so could be mildew? if its more a dirty scalp smell then dont worry

thyme added will slowly reduce oil productiion

thyme as an oil or tea

u can spray on a thyme tea and smell like pizza or somethihf awhile as it gets less oily

tip

baking soda is alkaline

acv acidic

normal hairs acidic slightly oily hairs more acidic

so u can try baking soda with very lil acv after or even none temporarily you dont want to make it too alkaline i=or u get dry and itchy but ocasionaly skipping the acv will slowly reduce theoiliness and when u do do acv make it lil extra wak and rinse imediately untill your hairs nmore normal to dry then ballance it out to a ph more like normal hair

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Spencer Dill
@spencer-dill
12 years ago
6 posts
Awesome thank you I ordered some tea tree oil and lavender oil!

Gilly's Mum said:

Try aadding some essential oils to your baking soda rinse, they smell really lovely and help the balance of everything... as far as the greasyness goes, hopefully some one else will be able to help you there... the only thing I do know is that over time your scalp will produce less oil as it is washed and scrubbed less frequently. Your head sort of uses a supply and demand and when we wash away the natural oils from our scalp, it feels the need to produce more.

Spencer Dill
@spencer-dill
12 years ago
6 posts
Ya The greasiness is grossss I hopeIt ends soon should I gradually ease into washing less or just stop and only do it a few times a week?

jeffrey gedack said:

the greasyness is probley the result of washing everyday... deffintley try goin a lil longer between washes...i wash me hair 2 maybe three times a week with BS/ACV. im to much of a cheapskate to get oils so i make tea from rosemary,lavender, excetra if need be... deffintley cuts the greasee feellin.hope thats some help...

Spencer Dill
@spencer-dill
12 years ago
6 posts
Well I don't think drying is an issue yet because IDont have to many dreads yet it's been a verrrryyy slow process I'mDoing it natural. The smell I think is just like dirty scalp and hair Probably mostly from the grease I guess. Would I just boil the Thyme and soak it in water and poor that on my hair? Will the acv like degrease my hair?

soaring eagle said:

washing daily makes u greasy strip oils away and the scalp panics and produces oils

whats the smell like washing daily may not let it dry enough so could be mildew? if its more a dirty scalp smell then dont worry

thyme as an oil or tea

u can spray on a thyme tea and smell like pizza or somethihf awhile as it gets less oily

tip

baking soda is alkaline

acv acidic

so u can try baking soda with very lil acv after or even none temporarily you dont want to make it too alkaline i=or u get dry and itchy but ocasionaly skipping the acv will slowly reduce theoiliness and when u do do acv make it lil extra wak and rinse imediately untill your hairs nmore normal to dry then ballance it out to a ph more like normal hair

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

u can steep thyme 20 min then spray on or add to the bs wash

vinager will degrease you but being acidic will increase4 oiul production too g=just like degreasing increases grease

you want to leave some oils that are healthy but have those oils be clean adding sea salt is a great option and maybe do acv every otherwash and weak till you start getting less oily

as u stretch it to washing very 3 or even 4 days yiu should see less oils produced

Spencer Dill said:

Well I don't think drying is an issue yet because I
Dont have to many dreads yet it's been a verrrryyy slow process I'm
Doing it natural. The smell I think is just like dirty scalp and hair Probably mostly from the grease I guess. Would I just boil the Thyme and soak it in water and poor that on my hair? Will the acv like degrease my hair?

soaring eagle said:

thyme as an oil or tea

tip

baking soda is alkaline

acv acidic

--
Spencer Dill
@spencer-dill
12 years ago
6 posts
Alright awesome. Should I add the sea salt to the baking soda mixOr do it separate? Thanks for helpin me out I really appreciate it

soaring eagle said:

vinager will degrease you but being acidic will increase4 oiul production too g=just like degreasing increases grease

you want to leave some oils that are healthy but have those oils be clean adding sea salt is a great option and maybe do acv every otherwash and weak till you start getting less oily

as u stretch it to washing very 3 or even 4 days yiu should see less oils produced

Spencer Dill said:

Doing it natural. The smell I think is just like dirty scalp and hair Probably mostly from the grease I guess. Would I just boil the Thyme and soak it in water and poor that on my hair? Will the acv like degrease my hair?

soaring eagle said:

thyme as an oil or tea

tip

baking soda is alkaline

acv acidic

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

either

u can spray on 2 hours b4 u wash or just add to the bs and soak 10 min

not sure if it makes anty diference at all jusdt the 10 min soak does ya good

Spencer Dill said:

Alright awesome. Should I add the sea salt to the baking soda mix
Or do it separate? Thanks for helpin me out I really appreciate it

soaring eagle said:

Spencer Dill said:

soaring eagle said:

thyme as an oil or tea

tip

baking soda is alkaline

acv acidic

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form