Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Downside to dreads? Keeping it real!

Heidela
@heidela
13 years ago
27 posts
Ok this is meant to be fun because really these have so many pros for me ..especially the ten min out the door to work I need to do now!You save a ton of time and money by NOT investing (and I have) money that could be spent otherwise to improve life for yourself or others...in fact I have been calculating my savings haircuts alone were $$$! not to mention some insane costs with color adventures!And no brushing...still a bit hard after doing it my entire life 50 strokes a day!I have a long list of ups...mainly as mentioned someplace here part of all this is my last few years of work...moving to retirement (early age settling for poverty/simple self sufficiant life..instead of burn out)So for fun I have to admit every paradise has a few demons!So we all know the "beauty" or else why would we be here?So here are a couple of things1: I am an urgent care RN and I am at that level in life where my vision is changing...when starting an IV....reading a medication bottle...measuring wound..drawing bloods...doing all the close work...I can NOT PUT MY GLASSES ON MY HEAD! It is such a habit and putting them up there is easy and they stick there really well..it is getting them OUT! LOL!!! I have not figured a way to do this with out yanking my hair out! And it is not graceful or reassuring to anyone for a nurse to be yanking glasses out of newly forming dreads in a French braid!Ok I have tried them around my neck...anything around my neck drives me nut...tucking down the front of my shirt I move fast they fly onto the floor...this is NOT a big deal just funny to me that something I have done for years is so simple and now...well I just told you...2: folks assumptions that you smoke weed ...funny..if I do or not who cares? I am actively pro legal on a federal level not as medication but just let folks grow use and sell it legally...I have pretty much hidden my hair at work because even patients "assume" I want folks to trust that I am intact safe loving and caring...periodOk there are my two...not sure other than the occasional YOUCH! When they get caught in something! But that happened anyway with out locs!Any more?I am thrilled with how this is helping me progress and transition...ever progress and grow..never regress and stagnateYour turn I look forward to reading what funny or annoying things you have found?
updated by @heidela: 02/14/15 03:28:46PM
Ferret
@ferret
13 years ago
10 posts

I love my dreads but nothing sucks more thanwhen you get one stuck to Velcro. Or when half your head somehow gets stuck to your jacket and you have to rip it off your head.

Patty Haynes
@patty-haynes
13 years ago
39 posts

that made me snort coffee out of my nose... I got the best mental pic of someone struggling with a coat velcroed to their head :D

Ms. Lambergiinnii
@ms-lambergiinnii
13 years ago
6 posts

I have way more ups than downs with my dreads babies!

The Pros- * No more Creamy crack (aka relaxer!)

* Little to no maintenance to go out the door.

*swimming( I no longer have to deal with giant wet afro I have to comb while wet to maintain!)

*Wrapping em in scarves! ( So much easier to wrap up my hair.)

*Attaching lil decorations...I just got a lil fish bead from a friend I attached to one.

*texture ( is it weird I love the texture of my dreads?)

And many more.... A couple Cons- * piercings....My nape piercing and my tragus piercings do not see eye to eye with my dreads. Constantly getting caught up in them.

*dry time ( I like to shower after work which is later so it usually involves me using my blow dryer so i can go to bed with dry dreads.

*common stereotypes about dreads. YES THEY ARE CLEAN I WAS THEM REGULARLY! GAHHH!

*and I have a love hate relationship with the shrinkage. I love it cause it means they are maturing but hate that they are gonna get short before they get long! So far I've had a lot of shrinkage.

baby britt
@baby-britt
13 years ago
112 posts
i agree with the pot thing. sure, a lot of dreadies are probably more open minded than the average citizen, but that does not mean we're high all the time. i hardly ever smoke.my nickname says it all though (brittany don't give a f.); i could care less about what people think of me because of my appearance. i look the way i look because i like it. it's for me and nobody else.and the minimal maintenance is WONDERFUL. the only maintenance i did before i started dreading was simply combing the knots out in the shower, and with my long, thick hair that was very time-consuming. but now i'm free!!! yay! i love it =)
Heidela
@heidela
13 years ago
27 posts
Awesome replies that is what I am saying....mostly ups but for real there is always something ...like making my bed this morning my hair got caught in the fairy hanging from my light!I will attempt to display in this thread what I seem to let happen each day!
Heidela
@heidela
13 years ago
27 posts
Ok the pic is in my profile if you are interested I can not figure out how to move it here and have to work...sadly! I would rather play today!
ExaltHimx7
@exalthimx7
13 years ago
336 posts

YES, Velcro is the enemy'] I got mine stuck in my husband's back brace when I bent over a chair the brace was laying on to pick something up, UGH, lol.

ExaltHimx7
@exalthimx7
13 years ago
336 posts

I love the texture too, like soft knotty sweater, I make my kids feel them all the time, lol!

Ms. Lambergiinnii said:

I have way more ups than downs with my dreads babies!

The Pros- * No more Creamy crack (aka relaxer!)

* Little to no maintenance to go out the door.

*swimming( I no longer have to deal with giant wet afro I have to comb while wet to maintain!)

*Wrapping em in scarves! ( So much easier to wrap up my hair.)

*Attaching lil decorations...I just got a lil fish bead from a friend I attached to one.

*texture ( is it weird I love the texture of my dreads?)

And many more.... A couple Cons- * piercings....My nape piercing and my tragus piercings do not see eye to eye with my dreads. Constantly getting caught up in them.

*dry time ( I like to shower after work which is later so it usually involves me using my blow dryer so i can go to bed with dry dreads.

*common stereotypes about dreads. YES THEY ARE CLEAN I WAS THEM REGULARLY! GAHHH!

*and I have a love hate relationship with the shrinkage. I love it cause it means they are maturing but hate that they are gonna get short before they get long! So far I've had a lot of shrinkage.

Mary
@mary
13 years ago
140 posts

My only downside is when I stick some cowrie shells in my hair. My kitten gets entranced by their movement she tries to pull one out.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form