Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Wool pillow case for my impatient head

Amy Lee
@amy-lee
13 years ago
31 posts
Hi Dread Heads!I'm new to the whole dread experience and this site but I've read enough here to know I'll get some informative responses to this query. I noticed in a thread people talking about wearing tans to bed or placing woolen jumpers over thier pillows to give the process a kittle helping hand. My Grandma us a fab knitter and I was thinking if getting her to knit me a pillow case (I co sleep with my newborn baby boy and am a bit paranoid about a sweater sleeve wrapping around his neck or some thing). Is this wool thing only useful for starting off dreads or also helping them nature and tighten up? Also, is there a particular type of wool that seems to work better thick, thin, soft, coarse threads etc. Looking forward to a snuggle woolen pillow case coming into Aussie winter! Thanx for any feedback <3
updated by @amy-lee: 02/14/15 05:29:32AM
Amy Lee
@amy-lee
13 years ago
31 posts
*tams not tans*little not kittle*is not us*mature not naturesorry typing on phone, might leave typing to when I'm on the puter from now on ;)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

i think any wools good

umm

if your paranoid about a sleeve you should also be paranoid aboutr an arm or a leg or a whole body..theres risks and advantages to cosleeping and u just might want to concider the issue carefully

and wools good all the time thru the whole process

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Angie Glaze
@angie-glaze
13 years ago
18 posts
Yay for cosleeping :) Yes, I believe the wool on your pillow at night helps alot...definitely in the beginning but you certainly wouldn't need to stop once your dreadies are mature.I just buy a 100% wool sweater at a thrift store and maybe even get a youth or young adult size, and I fold the arms of the sweater inside and slip my pillow inside the sweater from the waistline up....so it actually fits the pillow pretty tight without any looseness. I just look for 100% wool...nothing synthetic.
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
co-sleeping = happy baby! i so miss my kids being little. i loved watching them sleep. anyway, i would just use an old sweater and cut off the sleeves. i tried this but my skin is so sensitive that i woke up with a rash on my face. now i just wear a wool hat to bed whenever i feel i need it.
Amy Lee
@amy-lee
13 years ago
31 posts
Thanx for the quick response - as usual :)I have considered all my options and take my boys safety very seriously. I don't use drugs or drink at the moment and am very tuned into my baby. Co sleeping works best for our family, plus bub and I are happiest when snuggling. I appreciate that you care enough to express your concern tho.

soaringeagle said:

i think any wools good

umm

if your paranoid about a sleeve you should also be paranoid aboutr an arm or a leg or a whole body..theres risks and advantages to cosleeping and u just might want to concider the issue carefully

and wools good all the time thru the whole process

Amy Lee
@amy-lee
13 years ago
31 posts
True, true Angie an op shop sweater would probably be a better/cheaper option than buying wool at the moment. Any excuse for a trawl at the local Op Shop, may just have to head over for a snoop in the morning ;) thanx a bunch gal

Angie Glaze said:
Yay for cosleeping :) Yes, I believe the wool on your pillow at night helps alot...definitely in the beginning but you certainly wouldn't need to stop once your dreadies are mature.I just buy a 100% wool sweater at a thrift store and maybe even get a youth or young adult size, and I fold the arms of the sweater inside and slip my pillow inside the sweater from the waistline up....so it actually fits the pillow pretty tight without any looseness. I just look for 100% wool...nothing synthetic.
Amy Lee
@amy-lee
13 years ago
31 posts
Let me guess the near brake was from a headbutt, correct? My eldest son gave me a cracker like that once as well!I think the best 'bang for buck' solution is to buy 1 or 2 second hand sweaters and sewing a case out of them as you suggested. Ta X

Suzanne Beattie said:

Cosleeping = awesome. Much respect to Grandma knitting you a case :) I think you're right on with the concern over sleeves etc. Best to keep things simple. If the knitted pillowcase doesn't work out or you get impatient I guess you could even take an old/thrift sweater and cut sleeves off and stitch up the gaps? xXx

Luv ya SE. There are certain risks that people can easily educate themselves on (same with crib sleeping).Also I almost had my nose broken by my fidgety sleeping toddler..ouch haha:D Peace xxx

Amy Lee
@amy-lee
13 years ago
31 posts
There's been a 'while between drinks' for me Heather. My eldest boy is turning 11 soon and my next is 4 months so I appreciate how quick they grow and an cherishing every day, every smile, every cuddle this time around even more. I'm going to try sewing a woolen pillow case out of a thrift sweater rather than wasting Grans time knitting one if it will just end up scratching my face and giving me a rash. Fingers crossed it doesn't bother me and my hair goes crazy knotty :)

Heather said:
co-sleeping = happy baby! i so miss my kids being little. i loved watching them sleep. anyway, i would just use an old sweater and cut off the sleeves. i tried this but my skin is so sensitive that i woke up with a rash on my face. now i just wear a wool hat to bed whenever i feel i need it.
Angie Glaze
@angie-glaze
13 years ago
18 posts

@ Amy Lee--This is off topic,but do you happen to follow a blog of Emily Falconbridge?She's a fellow Aussie of yours and her and her sweet family live in the States now...she's a wonderful mama of natural parenting and has one of my favorite set of awesome dreads. I will link her blog for you in case you wanna check it out :)

http://embers.typepad.com/e/

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form