Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Decided

Lexiloubox
@lexiloubox
14 years ago
1 posts
Ur hair is beautiful, but I kn what u mean about your friends and such freaking out. And wanting to be outside of a box we somehow built ourselves. Best of luck hon!

Shayla Waychoff said:
By the way, my hair looks similar to this. (I took this photo from google - my camera isn't working right now)

My hair is longer in the front though, coming down almost to my shoulders. (I have a short neck though too lol!) But yeah, it's a little layered in the back. The shortest are the underneath hairs at about an inch.How long does your hair need to be to do T&R?

updated by @lexiloubox: 07/23/15 05:08:48AM
MzElaineous
@mzelaineous
14 years ago
87 posts
Twist and rip is definitely they way to go. A few things I wish I had known before doing it though:1) the best technique I've heard is twist, then rip three times for maximum texture2) dreads can be 1/4" square and still be strong3) it's better to do random sectioning for a natural lookI feel that most of my tnrs are smooth because those that were helping do the back thought that was what I wanted, so they didn't rip as much as I would've liked. Ripping more = harder to fall out. Also, my cousin did perfect sectioning and I wanted it more natural. And I wanted some thin dreads, so it would have been nice to know that I could have gone that thin. But it's all good, cause some fall out with acv and it'll give me a chance to separate them into sizes I actually want and make more natural sectioning. Overall, whoever is helping dreadlock, make sure to clearly state what is wanted and which technique to use.
Jake Holland
@jake-holland
14 years ago
203 posts
I did 90% of my own TnR if not more, when I did my sectioning I went with size of area and all but I sort of went with how the hair seeeeemmmed to want to go. I didn't take any section that didn't feel like it wanted to go into a certain section. And I have yet to have any that fell apart (completely) to reknot.
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
T&R is the way that I started mine as well, and it's been an exciting journey watching them grow, shrink, and change daily! You're in for one hell of a ride! I'm almost up to one year now, so if you're looking for some idea of how they'll mature then check out my timeline. It's hard to think that the once almost braided looking dread babies are now wild and not braided looking at all! Just T&R, wash, rip and let them alone. Currently, I'm trying to work on wearing mine down even more often than I usually do.... I'm thinking about hiding all my hats for a while until my confidence grows...maybe confidence isn't the best word... maybe it's 'apathy for what other's think'...yeah, that sounds about right. xP
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
ok once again I'm going to tell someone to check out ^^^^^^fae's t & r timeline^^^^^^. I know i keep putting you on the spot Fae but your locks are AmAzInG and your timeline is the most complete twist & rip that I've seen. :o) Faelwynn said:
T&R is the way that I started mine as well, and it's been an exciting journey watching them grow, shrink, and change daily! You're in for one hell of a ride! I'm almost up to one year now, so if you're looking for some idea of how they'll mature then check out my timeline. It's hard to think that the once almost braided looking dread babies are now wild and not braided looking at all! Just T&R, wash, rip and let them alone. Currently, I'm trying to work on wearing mine down even more often than I usually do.... I'm thinking about hiding all my hats for a while until my confidence grows...maybe confidence isn't the best word... maybe it's 'apathy for what other's think'...yeah, that sounds about right. xP
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
It's no problem! I've never really been in the presence of people (in person that is) with dreadlocks, so a lot of the time I feel lost, confused and depressed over the condition of my hair. It's good for me to get positive feedback that what I'm doing 'looks about right' as it were. NaturalWomyn said:
ok once again I'm going to tell someone to check out ^^^^^^fae's t & r timeline^^^^^^. I know i keep putting you on the spot Fae but your locks are AmAzInG and your timeline is the most complete twist & rip that I've seen. :o)

Faelwynn said:
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
Looks more than right Fae! Seriously the best T & R locks I've ever seen and one of my favorites on the entire site! :o)
Cambria Hope Reinholtz
@cambria-hope-reinholtz
14 years ago
1 posts
My hair is cut exactly the same way as your pic. I have had my dreads for 2 weeks and they seem to be locking up just fine. I have rubber bands on the ends of some stubborn ones in the back that keep coming apart at the tips (because they are so short). Good luck girl you'll totally rock em! Shayla Waychoff said:
By the way, my hair looks similar to this. (I took this photo from google - my camera isn't working right now)

My hair is longer in the front though, coming down almost to my shoulders. (I have a short neck though too lol!) But yeah, it's a little layered in the back. The shortest are the underneath hairs at about an inch.

How long does your hair need to be to do T&R?

updated by @cambria-hope-reinholtz: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
Natural. There are no other methods.
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
OK so i think it's your hair and your journey but I have been wondering lately where people that don't have dreads yet keep getting the idea that natural is so "extreme" or why people have this crazy lookin mental image of people who dread naturally? :P I'm just really curious because it seems to happen here everyday. People come on for the first time and they're like "I really want dreads but I just CAN'T do it naturally"I'm not trying to change your mind or be confrontational I would just love to know where it all comes from and maybe you could help shed some light on this. Is it solely company's like DHHQ or is it more? I grew up with and still have loads of friends and a hubby with all natural dreads so any other "method" seems extreme to me. I'm thinking the internet might be a big reason for the stereotyping/misinformation?? Just a guess. Any input is appreciated. Many Blessings on your journey whatever path you take.

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form