dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

From Interlocking to Natural: My Dreadlock Journey

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

yea i don't think water only would ever do me any good

and once my hairs wet...I WANT TO WASH!!!!!!!!!

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Raven's Light
@ravens-light
8 years ago
346 posts

Yeah, I can agree with that, many times I get my hair wet I really want to wash, I guess that was why I over-washed for a little while, well that and I had had the current shampoo for a long time and kinda wanted to put more of a dent in the bottle.

Raven's Light
@ravens-light
8 years ago
346 posts

So with these colder months, if my scalp is itchy, should I just oil it? Woudl it be too much to maybe oil it once a week if I'm rather itchy most of the time or is that too much and I should do it like once a month?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

totally depends on what you feel you need

--
Raven's Light
@ravens-light
8 years ago
346 posts

So as of late this week I was trying to reduce my washing frequency of my dreads to kind of prepare them for the colder months, my last wash before today was Sunday, so it had been four days since I washed my dreads. While I know that there really isn't a hard fast rule for washing dreads, that it is better to let about 2 days pass in between washing at a minimum, today makes me wonder is a pretty itchy scalp a good predictor that dreads should be washed?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

yes if its itchy wash it after a few weeks u may find that it wont itch till 6 days  in then u can wash on the 7th

but then again u might find 4-5 is the longest u can go too

--
Raven's Light
@ravens-light
8 years ago
346 posts

3-4 days has usually been about the point where it gets itchy, I've been on the cycle since about 2 years into dreading, I was washing every 3 days or so. My experiment this week was to see how long i could take. By the 4th day, as I said I was pretty itchy. I am wondering if I should keep up on the washing every 3-4 days even during winter, but I am not sure if that'll be conducive to the cold weather. Given how my scalp has been as of late I'm not sure if I can go longer than 4 days without washing my hair, even though I would like to only have to wash them once a week. I am wondering if I should still experiment next week and see how long it takes before it itch starts again, to gauge how long my hair can go before it needs a wash.

On another note, I had foolishly used a not so good shampoo for dreads prior to this last wash (I got it pretty much out of my hair)...but that taught me (after looking up the ingredients online) what the ingredient names for chemical residues are. So I now know to avoid any shampoo with anything starting with either PEG or PPG on their list. Not entirely sure what I'll use that shampoo for since it had left my roots feeling almost sticky. I mean I did seem to get it out of my dreads, but it took a little work, and I doubt it'd be good to use on my hair....if I did I'm sure I'd be doing a deep clean before too long...

On another note, since I have joined this site, it has been nothing but helpful. Everytime I run into a fellow dreadhead I try and educate them on the natural way of doing things and always refer them to come join this site. 

updated by @ravens-light: 10/07/16 03:24:17PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

that's awesome

i love how much word of mouth recommendations we get.. i heard people say they heard about it from someone they worked with, went to  school with, or just met on a bus...all over the world

--
Raven's Light
@ravens-light
8 years ago
346 posts

That's great! Do you think it's smart to try and test my scalp next week or should I just stick with the 3-4 day routine I've been using?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

well i think if u go 1 extra day it will adjust

--

/ 29

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form