Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

I think I'm gonna restart... after almost hitting a mature look

Jimmy DC
@jimmy-dc
9 years ago
86 posts

So after two years and some months of going completely natural, I've decided to restart. I have made many mistakes and have allowed for too many of my dreads to congo together to the point where there is huge congo forming in the back of my head made up of 9 mini dreads, i had allowed three and 4 to get together as they were pretty small, but two others joined and then the two big ones joined together and I have been trying to divide it and it just seems kind of impossible at this point. there's plenty of congos in other spots and I really think i messed up early on, and have been extra annoyed at these last couple really big ones that are constantly forming in the back of my head. My head is also itchy and i feel like ssome of my thicker dreads might havea lot of lint or something in them, and would just like to start again. 

It kinda blows but I think it's the best decision, as I'm still young(turning 20 in october) and want to keep my dreads for a long time regardless. I don't care about the messy stage which was pretty much all of last year, and don't mind going through it again. 
I want to know if you guys could recommend the best way to undo my dreads without having to cut them off. And if anybody has any experience undoing them to let me know if the result was what they wanted, or should i start from zero, meaning a buzzcut. I'm open to suggestions, but would like to get opinions from many of you here to help me decide. Thank you guys

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
9 years ago
29,640 posts

Just how big are they at the root cause I have many that are six combined but they aren't over an inch at the root. And what are you washing with for the etch.

You can comb them out you would just want to soak them in a lot of cheap conditioner or olive oil or anything that will make them slippery and soft and start combing from the very tip up very slowly and gently you can pick at it in a with a pin or something. Or just use a soft brush that'll do the least harm will be a little slower but it will do the least harm if you reach a spot that is really knotted up and just will not budge, then really soak it in some conditioner working in deep and leave it stay in overnight while you work on a different dread. It is going take a while to get them all out days maybe a week or so, but you can do it and salvage all the hair and then let him restart with long enough hair to start

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jimmy DC
@jimmy-dc
9 years ago
86 posts

Thanks Soaring-eagle, and well it is longer than wider, like a bit bigger than 2 inches at the root from left to right and bout 1 inch down/up. I've been using Vickis soap bars, and I like them but I feel like i have stuff built up in the middle of some of my dreads. And this time I hope to salvage all my hair if [ossible, and will probably be a faster process as the last time I started I was just in the 5 inch length or so, and I think it will be a good experience overall.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
9 years ago
29,640 posts

yea id at least comb out the huge ones

--
Amanda Clouse
@amanda-clouse
9 years ago
53 posts

Why start completely over? I'd just comb out the huge ones if it were me. It's worth keeping the ones that aren't causing any issues. Having some hair undreaded wont look bad since that's how it is during the natural journey anyway. It's obviously your choice, but I'd think about it a bit before combing all of them out.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
9 years ago
29,640 posts

agree completely

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form