Like this page? Then share it!
Dreadlocks Forums

New dready checking in - have a question

Jenifer J
@jenifer-j
2 years ago
42 posts

Hey everyone!

I'm so happy to have stumbled upon this site with all the good info. Wish I'd come her first. Thanks for the great resource. I'm Jen and I'm a newbie at this - and I have a few questions.

I decided to dread my hair a few days ago, did a little bit of research, though it wasn't entirely thorough. I had a friend section my hair and I did twist and rip (yesterday). Some of my sections are bigger than 1"... more like 2". I have straight thin hair and have ended up with 22 locks. But reading here, I'm starting to worry that some of my sections might be too big. Do I have anything to worry about? I guess I didn't think about how much bigger they might get.

I'm also a little worried that they are too tight... think I did a little less twisting and tighter pulling. they aren't too tight around the roots though, so I think that's good.

so do i have anything to worry about or that i should do while these guys are still fresh to fix any mistakes I've made? I'm pretty sure I want these to mature and have them for a long time to come :) I will also add that I spend a lot of time whitewater kayaking so I'm a little worried about the drying time if i end up with huge dreads. It was always a bitch to brush out my helmet hair afterwards, so I'm really looking forward to not having to do that anymore :)

Thanks for any advice and tips - I appreciate it! I'm heading to the woods for a few days so I might not be able to reply for a few days.

Jen

updated by @jenifer-j: 02/14/15 10:08:02AM
Lauryn Dowding
@lauryn-dowding
2 years ago
49 posts
Welcome to the group :D I have the same problem by thinking mine were to thin but didn't want the hassle of brushing them out! Personally I would just leave them to go natural now except with separation after washing and let them decide what they want to do themselves. Enjoy your dread journey!Love and peace.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
2 years ago
27,412 posts

any that are over an inch i would comb out if u git dreads as thick as yiur wrist u will never get a helmet on again.. even with the 1 inch dreads it will be rough

but 2 inch no way..

tightness will only mean slower dreading

but those extra thick ones are a problem

if your going to want to wear a helmet a whole bunch of thinner ones give u the best chance..like over 50 or 60

if your hair iis so hard to comb out tho u might as well have gone natural it would have dreaded fast

pics?

sux u went to the woods already it'll be harder to comb them out by time your back

--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
Jenifer J
@jenifer-j
2 years ago
42 posts

Thanks for the info soaring eagle! I am dreading combing out big ones... but i should have some time this weekend to split some up. Here is a photo for you.

i was scared of going natural but now that i know more, i'm not nearly as afraid of it.

updated by @jenifer-j: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
2 years ago
27,412 posts

they..and you..look beautiful but if u can get a pic of the big sections that will help

--
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Jenifer J
@jenifer-j
2 years ago
42 posts

Hopefully this shows better... they don't feel that big... NOW....

I'm really loving these guys... can't wait till they are actually dreads.

updated by @jenifer-j: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Jenifer J
@jenifer-j
2 years ago
42 posts

but i'm on my way.. you guys have a great weekend.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
2 years ago
27,412 posts

well big enough that they could be 2-4 and not be too thin

if u dont mind big they are might be fine but u wont get a helmet on

--
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Jenifer J
@jenifer-j
2 years ago
42 posts

i would be bald before i quit kayaking :)

so i'm going to start splitting them up. we've been delayed so i started taking one apart and it's really not that bad.. just kinda time consuming.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
2 years ago
27,412 posts

yeait is take your time be gentloe

--
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
 / 2

Dislike 0