Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

I Have been freeforming from a fade for a year, my hair isn't even an inch long?

Bountdoom
@bountdoom
11 years ago
31 posts

Sorry for such a late reply. But yes my hair is approaching 15 months without being brushed or combed. So it is really matted. As for the pattern in my head, I suspect it may have to do with the fact I had a low-cut fade/caesar with 360 waves when I stopped brushing or combing my hair.

Thundersquall said:

Listen bro when i was growing my first set i was feeling some of the same things you were. Mostly impatience, so i can relate.

Question, is your hair actually dreaded at all? If not, consider picking out the Fro and let some growth set in. I have heard that the longer the hair the easier it can dread, in fact even Bob Marley if you look at pictures didn't start dreading till his hair was rather long. I didn't put down comb pick to let it dread untill i could pull a strand down to my eyebrows. Two-three months later, after washing four times a week with organic shampoos, i had baby dreads.

How did you get that unique pattern in your hair from solely using freeform?

Black folk can have different thickness/coarseness of hair which some people may not realize, but chances are you have the kind of hair that takes to dreading more naturally perhaps then any on the planet. So feel confident that it will happen, just at a time of its own choosing.

updated by @bountdoom: 07/23/15 05:12:41AM
JavaLizard
@javalizard
11 years ago
89 posts

I can say you must have had some sweet waves before!

A few thoughts, first relax, but you potentially could end up with bigger locks than you would prefer. I agree with Thunder if you could pick it out and then let it form, it simply sounds like your hair is just turning in on itself.

That being said, 15 months you are doing ok for length. I would try a aloe rinse, or a rosemary peppermint rinse. Yes there are other alternatives to the the Apple Cider baking soda. This cat I knew in San Diego who a stocking cap and would play lightly rub his head, and encouraged more separating. We are all different in the rate our hair grows, I haven't cut my hair in about a year and every now and then a loose hair pops out and it is about 10" I would start hydrating, half your body weight in oz.

Oddly there are no rights and wrongs but lots of advice! Personally if you don't want to pick it, I'd rub it or twist a few to encourage separation.

Bob Ngarly
@bob-ngarly
11 years ago
161 posts

I also think separate... If you can pull it out two inches wet, its more than long enough to separate. If you need to separate it when it is wet. I also think that picking it out and starting with more length may be a good idea. You could even go in and try to section them while your hair is wet... My guess is that you could take the sectioning you have naturally developed and add in some more "vertical sectioning" with a rat tail combed.

Or you could just keep it growing in the way it is and try to separate it later but I don't think that you will be able to easily at all....

good luck

Peace be the journey

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,639 posts

agree i think hes got to separate now or hes going to have some freaky weird dreads they will be cool since so unique but crazy to care for and sleep on

he will have like 6 or 8 dreads ear to ear 1 long flat sheet that will be impossible to keep separate from the underlying long flat sheet

even if he could keep them selpataye the results will be extremely hard to sleep on

hes got to get them separated into undiividual dreads instead of a wide flat line like it is now

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Bountdoom
@bountdoom
11 years ago
31 posts

What exactly would make my hair hard to care for and, in what ways? Also how would they be hard to sleep on? I sleep on my head everyday so it seems like my hair will somehow grow to accommodate the way I sleep.

By the way, it is true that my hair is very matted. But at the same time it is very very fluffy but very condensed. It is possible for me to pull my waved hair apart. Even into tiny little strands of hair. From my point of view it seems like my hair will grow and bloom like a flower.

It seems like my hair is going to grow tall into the silhouette of a quasi-afro. But as it grows tall the wave like patterns will separate into rows of completely independent locs and the eventually hang down.

However my hair comes to be I will accept it as long as it does not interfere with my daily life. If my hair however does grow as rows of flat dreads vertically parallel to each other I will accept it as long as I like it and, if it is convenient without hassle. If I don't like it I will take scissors and cut them from the tip to the root vertically.

Thanks for reading this,

Bount

soaring eagle said:

agree i think hes got to separate now or hes going to have some freaky weird dreads they will be cool since so unique but crazy to care for and sleep on

he will have like 6 or 8 dreads ear to ear 1 long flat sheet that will be impossible to keep separate from the underlying long flat sheet

even if he could keep them selpataye the results will be extremely hard to sleep on

hes got to get them separated into undiividual dreads instead of a wide flat line like it is now

Bountdoom
@bountdoom
11 years ago
31 posts

Matter of fact. I just took a brush poured olive oil on it then rubbed it in and brushed my hair vertically, horizontally, and in circles. I have not brushed my hair since october 2012. My hair was able to be brushed but it still retained the wavelike shape. It looked a little longer though and feels a little softer. However the handle of the brush broke. After doing this I feel like my hair is going to grow into just one big ocean of hair. Not hard locs but not thin hair either. But more like an ocean if anything.

I don't know if this makes sense to you. The closest thing I can show you to what I mean is this picture.

soaring eagle said:

updated by @bountdoom: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,639 posts

was looking for a better example 1 i saw in an old sunsplash vid the guy had what looked like a bouncing roof over his head long wide flat extending out the fri=ont and back

but these

only wider and layered ontop of eachother ..very lumpy to sleep on

--
Bountdoom
@bountdoom
11 years ago
31 posts

It could look something like this
soaring eagle said:

was looking for a better example 1 i saw in an old sunsplash vid the guy had what looked like a bouncing roof over his head long wide flat extending out the fri=ont and back

but these

only wider and layered ontop of eachother ..very lumpy to sleep on

updated by @bountdoom: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,639 posts

possibly yea but going all the way acrosss ear to ear wich could hurt

i wonder what those might look like longer after few years if he kept them that long

--

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form