Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

New to dreadlocks

Ulfrick Tyrson
@ulfrick-tyrson
11 years ago
11 posts

Hey there everyone, I'm Ulfrick from toronto canada, after many many years of wanting dreadlocks but always coming up with one excuse or another not to get em (and a rather lamentable period where I had to chop all my hair off for work) Mine finally grew back long enough and I decided to finally take the plunge. spent the past two months or so pouring over any and all information I could find about em (including spending many many hours pouring over this wonderful site)

During that time I was trying to go for the natural dread approach, picked up some residue free shampoo, increased my washing regimine to 3 times a week (I've been doing a natural water only regimine once a week for the past 5 years) however after those 2 months and due to a compulsive finger combing habit I have (was trying to control it but no such luck.) my hair was still just as razor straight and smooth as the day I began, so despite knowing the inherent risks I took the plunge and got help putting em in with crotchet and backcombing... yes yes I know how damaging it is for the hair, and I know that it will take longer for them to mature and repair themselves, but its better than them never forming at all.

Anyways I do have some pictures on my phone both before and after which I will be uploading to the timeline segment next chance I get. i'm really happy with em and excited to see where this journey takes me.

updated by @ulfrick-tyrson: 01/13/15 09:56:39PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

u shoulda used tnr or just bckcomb no crochet now they will take 6 months longer and a year even 2 to lose that harsh crochetted look

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Ulfrick Tyrson
@ulfrick-tyrson
11 years ago
11 posts

Yeah, that was something I had considered long and hard about before deciding to go through with it. but I was concerned that just backcombing or TNR wouldn't be enough to combat the finger combing (seriously, until I decided to get dreads I never noticed how often I did it... its like every 5 minutes I would catch myself)

If i'd thought there was a less damaging method that would have worked for me I would have done it. but everyone is different and in my particular situation I figured the benefits outweighed the negatives. first, last, and only time a crotchet hook will be touching my hair. but I am over all content with my decision to use that method... besides, at the end of the day whats 6 months or a year or even 5 in the grand scheme of things

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

well with t6hat attitude why did you give up at 2 months and not stuick to natural for the next few years letting it take as long as it took

--
Ulfrick Tyrson
@ulfrick-tyrson
11 years ago
11 posts

because after 2 months there was ZERO progress, like not even a single knot or tangle, zip, nada, zilch. as I said, its something I had thought long and hard about. deffinetly wasn't my first choice, or even the second or third but it was I felt the best option to get me set up for where I eventually wanted to go, even if it does take longer its better to take longer to get there than not be able to get there at all.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

so didnt u see ixchells timelines she got her 1st knots at 8 months many dont till 3 months u were fine..right on par

--
Ulfrick Tyrson
@ulfrick-tyrson
11 years ago
11 posts

it still wouldn't have fixed my finger combing compulsion though. I get that natural locks are better, and I would recommend that method to any of my friends who ever wanted to get em. but different circumstances for different people, I know myself well enough to know that without taking the steps I did there was little to no chance of eventual success for me. end of the day I'm happy with my hair and happy with my decision despite the fact that it will take a bit longer. and really that's what matters most.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hey there, we're gonna have to buy you some of those finger mittens to keep your hands away from your dreads. After almost a year and a half, I still catch myself tucking my hair behind my ears, and because of that, those pieces of hair still have not dreaded, yep, bad habits do slow down the journey for sure. Now that you used the hook and have your dreads, I hope that you let them be from here on in. You will get a huge case of the frizzies from the broken hairs when they start to poke out, but please let them be, they WILL eventually get sucked back into your dreads and stay there. Don't let anyone talk you into putting them back in with a hook, let it happen all naturally. All you need to do is wash and separate any sections trying to join together, that is all from here on in.

By the way, everyday I see T.O. from across the lake, so tomorrow morning I'll wave to ya.....peace

Ulfrick Tyrson
@ulfrick-tyrson
11 years ago
11 posts

thanks, and yeah i'm fully prepared for the massive frizzies i'm gonna be getting. and I shall love every one of em because thats just one step closer to them repairing themselves and getting where I want to be.

also already got one favorite, its this stubby little thing right at the back of my neck was the first one put in. I have named him nubblet. I'm sure my favorites are gonna change a million times over the years but for now he's it and I love him for all his retarded stumpyness.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form