Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dreadlocks and Bob Marley and Rasta

Apollo
@apollo
15 years ago
80 posts
There have always been that thing with dreadlocks and the bob marley rasta thing. I dont why thats the first thing someone will tell me when they see me. Dont get me wrong i like Bob Marley but just not alot alot. XDIts a myth that if you have dreadlocks you love reggae and smoke weed and hail Bob Marley or that one other guy forgot his name. I cannot stand that myth it really does kill me. I really just wanted to throw that out because people bring this up way too much. And now im getting kinda of sick of it. :p
updated by @apollo: 01/13/15 08:29:20PM
Blonde Dready
@blonde-dready
15 years ago
84 posts
dude me to. U speak the truth. Thats seriously the first thing someone says to me. *U wanna be like bob marley or some kinda ignorant remark like that. Oh well, i do listen to bob marley and smoke weed but i dont think they know that, they just assume xD
Didjeridurian
@didjeridurian
15 years ago
292 posts
lolright there with ya!I LOVE bob Marley for his free thinking philosophies but I am anything but a rasta. To me worshipping Haile Selassie as a messiah is no less idolotrous and misleading than what the Christians have done with Christ. These people throughout history like Jesus, Selassie, Buddha,etc. were just examples of our human potential. We need to stop worshipping them (its not what they really wanted. Just ask Jesus how that worked out for him lol) and follow their example to realize our own limitless potential as beacons of vibrant love and joy. No one man could possibly be my god. My god is in nature, in me, in you, it is all that is. I do not mean to offend any rastafarians or christians for that matter. These are just the opinions I have derived from my own insights and intuitive seeking.Anyway, it just goes right along with my problem with labels. I am sure we all remember the famous "hippie"debate. lol.Dont call me a hippie, dont call me a rasta, dont call me anything other than me. We are all far too beautifully unique to be classified.
Didjeridurian
@didjeridurian
15 years ago
292 posts
Truth brother,If you dig into the accounts of the ancient egyptians, you will find that they too allowed their hair to lock. In fact most early civilizations whose encounters were recorded were described as having "snakes for hair" or something to that effect. Of course no one was calling them dreadlocks then. lol AliveAsTheDead said:
hahaha...more cultures besides rastafarianism have had dreads, so it's silly when people say that. Not all dreadlock wearing people like weed, but I am a proud regular basis smoker. People get dreads for all sorts of reasons, but you must admit, it is funny to think that more than one of the cultures associated with dreads smoke weed...from rastas to sadhus!
Antony
@antony
15 years ago
80 posts
I can't stand it either. My dad used to call me "Rasta" a while ago, but he soon realized that it was annoying. I also hate when some ghetto kids say "Yo, you like Lil Wayne junior". All I can really say "Nah, not really"Also, today I was wearing my Jimi Hendrix shirt and 2 Bob Marley related things happened.Someone at a career fair today went up to me and asked "Where did you get that Hendrix shirt?" I replied "I got this from the Spencers in the local mall" So, she said "Thanks, my son wanted one of those shirts. Isn't that the store where they sell Bob Marley shirts?" I didn't want to be rude and go IM NOT A RASTAFARIAN OKAY so all I said was "Hmm.. I think they have a few."Then later, one of my classmates said to me "Nice shirt, it would look better if Bob Marley was on it." He knows I joke around with the fact that I have dreads so I said back "Haha, I don't think so. That would mean I'd be wearing a shirt with a picture of myself on it."It used to bother me, but now I just shrug it off or turn it into a joke.
Chuck R
@chuck-r
15 years ago
19 posts
Who doesn't love Bob Marley? Take it as a compliment.

Fiend Jester said:
I can't stand it either. My dad used to call me "Rasta" a while ago, but he soon realized that it was annoying. I also hate when some ghetto kids say "Yo, you like Lil Wayne junior". All I can really say "Nah, not really"Also, today I was wearing my Jimi Hendrix shirt and 2 Bob Marley related things happened.Someone at a career fair today went up to me and asked "Where did you get that Hendrix shirt?" I replied "I got this from the Spencers in the local mall" So, she said "Thanks, my son wanted one of those shirts. Isn't that the store where they sell Bob Marley shirts?" I didn't want to be rude and go IM NOT A RASTAFARIAN OKAY so all I said was "Hmm.. I think they have a few."Then later, one of my classmates said to me "Nice shirt, it would look better if Bob Marley was on it." He knows I joke around with the fact that I have dreads so I said back "Haha, I don't think so. That would mean I'd be wearing a shirt with a picture of myself on it."It used to bother me, but now I just shrug it off or turn it into a joke.
Didjeridurian
@didjeridurian
15 years ago
292 posts
I don't think it is about Bob Marley at all to be honest. I think it is just another case of controlled classification. The pop-nihilistic mainstream tries to put free thinking people into labeled groups in an effort to minimize their individual effect on society.Its essentially just a blatant abuse of the associative property... You have dreadlocks- Bob Marley had dreadlocks- Bob marley is rasta and smoked weed- you must be rasta and smoke weed...Its the simple minded, fear based, control mechanisms that people use to try to make everything "ordinary"by classifying everything into pre-determined labels. It robs people of all of their uniqe individual characterisitics by programing prejudicial responses into the collective.Characteristics are characteristics and the unique combination of every single solitary characteristic are what makes a person who they are. Being that their are a seemingly infinite number of characteristics to a person, it would be impossible to realistically classify any group of people and any attempt to do so is futile and counterproductive.Some people might say that we are thinking too much into this, however, I strongly believe that the more aware we become of the seemingly small aspects of social interaction like this, the closer we will come to healing our broken society. Being aware of these small things that we can easily change, will heal the bigger issues that are symptomatic of these day to day occurrences. Chuck R said:
Who doesn't love Bob Marley? Take it as a compliment.

Fiend Jester said:
I can't stand it either. My dad used to call me "Rasta" a while ago, but he soon realized that it was annoying. I also hate when some ghetto kids say "Yo, you like Lil Wayne junior". All I can really say "Nah, not really" Also, today I was wearing my Jimi Hendrix shirt and 2 Bob Marley related things happened.

Someone at a career fair today went up to me and asked "Where did you get that Hendrix shirt?" I replied "I got this from the Spencers in the local mall" So, she said "Thanks, my son wanted one of those shirts. Isn't that the store where they sell Bob Marley shirts?" I didn't want to be rude and go IM NOT A RASTAFARIAN OKAY so all I said was "Hmm.. I think they have a few."

Then later, one of my classmates said to me "Nice shirt, it would look better if Bob Marley was on it." He knows I joke around with the fact that I have dreads so I said back "Haha, I don't think so. That would mean I'd be wearing a shirt with a picture of myself on it."

It used to bother me, but now I just shrug it off or turn it into a joke.
Antony
@antony
15 years ago
80 posts
Am I the only one here who was called Lil Wayne? Cause I really don't like being called that.BTW I didn't take "Bob Marley" as an insult. It's just those "Ugh, again?" type moments. But, Lil Wayne, I do take as an insult.
Orange Clock
@orange-clock
14 years ago
72 posts
Its not a myth we all have a connection with everything even if you don't really like it
Spider Feet
@spider-feet
14 years ago
458 posts
My biggest problem with the relation is that it's a bible based religion. To each their own, I just don't want to be associated with it. The 'hippy' relation bothers me too...again, I like hippies but I'm not so I don't want to be called one.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form