Like this page? Then share it!
Dreadlocks Forums

Article Critique: "White People and Dreadlocks: A Problematic Union"

Kathleen
@kathleen
5 years ago
28 posts

Hahaha......funny! See....that's subjective too. Using 8 fingers to finger through my naturally curly thick hair, that used to require a full cup of conditioner on wet hair and 15 minutes of "brushing" with a brush, would have been as hilarious as this article. If all I had to use was 8 fingers to "smooth" out my hair the only affect I would make would be to separate it, and it would still lock into the sections I separated. : ) So, it's not really a choice, if your hair has a different agenda.

updated by @kathleen: 07/22/15 08:34:58AM
Angel Frye
@angel-frye
5 years ago
409 posts

.... which is why after a few years I gave up using my eight-fingered-comb. It's insane!!!!! Tell Scottish/Irish curls to behave and they laugh at you and then knot up even more just to make your day that much more difficult.I totally understand, Kathleen.

That's it. I declare that the first dreadheads must have been all the curlyhaired people in the world. We own the rights to it. All you straight haired folks are wannabees. You fakers! We started it. You're appropriating our intellectual property and we demand recompense.

Kathleen
@kathleen
5 years ago
28 posts

Lol!!! : )

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
5 years ago
27,427 posts

haha i dunno about that i have a freind with the strasightest hair u ever saw and shed literaly have baby dreads in a day if she went 6 hoiurs withoit brushing..my sis's ex is japanese with long bone straight hair if he didnt braid it every night b4 bed hed waj=ke with 4-8 giant dreads and i mean..no loose hauirs at all it all sucked up into dreads over night

human beings grow hair on their heads hair dreads if its alowed to dread..its human culture..well not even culture it is just the natural human condition

wether you embrace the natural human condition or not might be influenced by culture like some tribes stretchthe necks or the lip disk

but then are every peircing or body mod a appropriation of cultures?

haha just had a funny thoight

many african tribes wernt too modest and didnt wear alot of clothes /(although penis sheaths were worn sometimes haha) so should we consider the wearing of clothes appropriation of culture?

cultures change as one culture meets another and passes on influences one tribe learns to weave baskets from a nomadic tribe passing through who in tern learn to dye fabrics this is how the wheel the craft of boat building of smelting bronze and gold passed from culture to culture

can any 1 race or culture today say that only they own the art of cooking/ of painting?

because the car originaly came out of america should the italians stop making lambhourginies

for that matter so did flight and they were not only write but white so should only white americans be alowed to fly in the sky?

sigh

--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
Angel Frye
@angel-frye
5 years ago
409 posts

The ravioli analogy still makes me laugh.

hippiegal
@hippiegal
5 years ago
184 posts

Exactly. Lol!!

Samalamajam
@samalamajam
5 years ago
14 posts

Wow! All this discussion is awesome and has really got me thinking. I knew that if there was anyone to put to words my reluctance to believe that I was solely appropriating another culture by dreading my hair it would be all of you. (Thanks is what I'm trying to say)

One other point that also stuck with me is that dreading your hair is a cultural symbol. The meaning of that symbol is dependent on the history of your culture. For this situation, being white American and dreading your hair is perceived by other Americans as negative because you are taking in that particular culture's symbol and loosing the meaning by being white.

"You cant just take a cultural sign and act as if it has no history, as if a headdress or dreadlocks just exist in itself.Becauseif you do, youre doing a very real kind of violence, youre trying to break a sign, youre trying to break meaning. And these meanings can be anything from religious devotion, to family links, tolineage, to honour, mourning, and so on. Culture lives in the signs, so when someone tries to deny the meaning of signs, theyre trying to kill that sign and so try to kill a little bit of culture." -source

Again, I think these statements come from the assumption that dreadlocks originated from black Rastafarians and that dreadlocks as a whole only symbolize the revolt against white oppression and what the dominant culture views as "beautiful".The fact is that the people that say we should cut our dreads and that we "have no right"are those that are in pain and attack us because they see dreadlocks solely as a symbol of revolting against the oppression and when we adopt this symbol we are destroying what it means to thieir culture.I think truth lies inacknowledgingthat dreadlocks have the most recent (and maybe the most painful) history in the racism of the American culture and not in simply devaluing what dreadlocks mean to them. However when we are told that we "have no right" and that we should cut them we should stand our ground and dreaducate. The fact is dreadlocks are not just a black cultural symbol but cross-culture.

I feel better now that I got that last paragraph out. I know I couldn't accept this sole cultural appropriation explanation for my dreads.

hippiegal
@hippiegal
5 years ago
184 posts

To continue from SE's examples, what about black people who are Christian, or white Rastafari? (Which the author of that article does acknowledge.) Over human history, dreadlocks have carried many different meanings - religious, cultural, political or personal. I believe mutual respect is the key. Those who get dreads merely for fashion will probably not have them for very long, they'll get bored with them.

Hans Miniar Jónsson
@hans-miniar-jnsson
5 years ago
74 posts

hippiegal said:

To continue from SE's examples, what about black people who are Christian, or white Rastafari? (Which the author of that article does acknowledge.) Over human history, dreadlocks have carried many different meanings - religious, cultural, political or personal. I believe mutual respect is the key. Those who get dreads merely for fashion will probably not have them for very long, they'll get bored with them.

Rastafari is a form of Christianity.

Jdwood
@jdwood
5 years ago
275 posts

I think American culture ishighlybased on looks notorigins. Take BobMarley as an example. He is know as being "black"and heembracedisJamaican/African Americanheritage. He looked black so it was "okay" now if he embraced is Scottish heritageinstead I wonder if he would have been as popular (wearinga kilt and playing the bag pipes). I work with a woman that has red hair green eyes and very pale skin withfreckles and she has a great grandfather who is African American. If she wouldembracethat side of her inherited culture I think she would get a lot of critic from many Americans.

/ 5

Dislike 0

Share This

Tags

comments powered by Disqus