Like this page? Then share it!
Dreadlocks Forums

when did people start backcombing dreads

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
27,427 posts
a guy on myspace has been claiming to know people who used wax and backcombing and have 37 year old dreadsnow i know hes making this up because in all my life ive onlt met 2 who had dreads near that longthe longest dread in the world was only 38 years oldnow i know dreads have lasted that long im not disputing that its possible to meet someone with dreads that oldbut up untill maybe 10 years ago i had nbever heard of backcombing or waxing dreadsi never met anyone with dreads over 15 that wernt naturalso my question iswhats the oldest backcombed dreads you ever saw/met/hadwhen was backcombing introduced to the dread scenewhen was wax 1st usedi tried google but failed becauuse of all the fake ass dreadheadhqq sites like howtodread perfectdreadlocks and all those how to backcomb sites made it impossible to find true infoso i turn to you..the memmories of generations of dreadswhen did you 1st hear of backcombing or waxing dreads


--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/14/15 07:56:39AM
dreaded delusion
@dreaded-delusion
7 years ago
84 posts
well... my fiance has had his dreads for 10 years and he uses wax all the time. He didn't start backcombing though. he did it by sectioing his hair when it was only a few inches and putting them in rubber bands and just let them grow like that. He actually does a lot of things that most people here say not to do but they are 10 years old and beautiful. To each is own I guess. :) All methods work for diff types for sure. I myself am more natural but started with backcombing. Mine are 2 and a half years old. To make my point about my fiance's dreads though here is a picture: Photobucket
Didjeridurian
@didjeridurian
7 years ago
292 posts
When you say "uses wax all the time" does that mean he does it still?If so why would you need to use wax if they are already 10 years old and well formed?dreaded delusion said:
well... my fiance has had his dreads for 10 years and he uses wax all the time. He didn't start backcombing though. he did it by sectioing his hair when it was only a few inches and putting them in rubber bands and just let them grow like that. He actually does a lot of things that most people here say not to do but they are 10 years old and beautiful. To each is own I guess. :) All methods work for diff types for sure. I myself am more natural but started with backcombing. Mine are 2 and a half years old. To make my point about my fiance's dreads though here is a picture:
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
27,427 posts
u should tell him if he tries to get all that wax out they wont look so stiffim kinda amazed when i see some who used wax for 10 years and they survived its so rarei bet ya if he dewaxes they will feel a million tomes better


--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
dreaded delusion
@dreaded-delusion
7 years ago
84 posts
he doesn't really need it now but he did use it all the time.
Didjeridurian
@didjeridurian
7 years ago
292 posts
ahh I see. How long did it take for the dreads to not need it anymore? Sorry to make you the middle man I'm just curious.dreaded delusion said:
he doesn't really need it now but he did use it all the time.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
27,427 posts
he never did need itbut now its in there...and its very very hard to get outthe pic u showed u see how several dreads are sticking oit? with space between them and the dreads below em? thats a sign of stiffness theyre weight should make em lie ontop of eachother, not stick out that way..that shows that theres still lotta wax in there making em stiffafter dewaxing they will be so much softer feel so much better and..be alot lighter too they will wanna move againtry the dexaxing if he really thinks wax is good after removing it he can always add it aggainin fact he can re-add the same wax as it will float to the surface and u can just collect all of it after u get it outdreaded delusion said:
he doesn't really need it now but he did use it all the time.



--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
Didjeridurian
@didjeridurian
7 years ago
292 posts
lol that sounds like a reaalllly interesting process to watch (dewaxing)Are there any video records of this phenomena, I wanna see what it looks like when all the goo comes out.Not enough to try it out oin mine thoughsoaringeagle said:
he never did need it

but now its in there...and its very very hard to get out
the pic u showed u see how several dreads are sticking oit? with space between them and the dreads below em? thats a sign of stiffness theyre weight should make em lie ontop of eachother, not stick out that way..that shows that theres still lotta wax in there making em stiff
after dewaxing they will be so much softer feel so much better and..be alot lighter too they will wanna move again

try the dexaxing if he really thinks wax is good after removing it he can always add it aggain
in fact he can re-add the same wax as it will float to the surface and u can just collect all of it after u get it out

dreaded delusion said:
he doesn't really need it now but he did use it all the time.
Daniel
@daniel
7 years ago
118 posts
the oldest dreads ive seen were on a guy i skateboarded with once. Dont know how old they were but they were pretty damn long, about down to his ass. His name was Adelmo Jr, sponsored by a few companies, you might have heard of him.Oldest backcombed dreads that ive seen belong to a guy at my school. 3 months and counting. hah
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
27,427 posts
thats a good question im not aware of any but i havent looked just heard it described Didjeridurian said:
lol that sounds like a reaalllly interesting process to watch (dewaxing)
Are there any video records of this phenomena, I wanna see what it looks like when all the goo comes out.
Not enough to try it out oin mine though

soaringeagle said:
he never did need it

but now its in there...and its very very hard to get out
the pic u showed u see how several dreads are sticking oit? with space between them and the dreads below em? thats a sign of stiffness theyre weight should make em lie ontop of eachother, not stick out that way..that shows that theres still lotta wax in there making em stiff
after dewaxing they will be so much softer feel so much better and..be alot lighter too they will wanna move again

try the dexaxing if he really thinks wax is good after removing it he can always add it aggain
in fact he can re-add the same wax as it will float to the surface and u can just collect all of it after u get it out

dreaded delusion said:
he doesn't really need it now but he did use it all the time.



--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
 / 2
 
Dislike 0

Share This

Tags

comments powered by Disqus