Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

white people with dreadlocks

Iain
@iain
12 years ago
844 posts

Completely Agree, Dreadlocks do not discriminate, they come to all who allow them to happen.

updated by @iain: 07/23/15 05:08:11PM
chryseis
@chryseis
12 years ago
1 posts

I've been thinking about locking my hair for a long time... and then I stumble upon many post, blogs, etc. about white people with locks are considered racists, oppressors and so on. Now I've been going back and forth, since I was supposed to do it very soon... But Now I'm not so sure... I'd go around with what I would have called peaceful hair, and other people would percieve it as racist. The reasoning behind me wanting to have locks are that I want to be more natural, in life generally.... food, lifestyle, mind and soul... and now this is something viewed upon racist? breaks my heart, but that's just my white irrelevant feelings. I don't want POC to find me offensive... thoughts?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

only by a very very smwll number who are completely hate filled and no ammount of peacefullness will ever calm that hatred

and its not your dreads they are racist against but your skin so dread or no dread they still will hate u

just ignore them..

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
ToTheAnkles!
@totheankles
12 years ago
102 posts
Does anyone have any references about viking/norse wearing their hair in dreads? From what I've read viking/norse were very uptight about maintaining their hair and beards and that the belief of them wearing locks or uncombed hair stemmed from propaganda to make them appear barbaric and uncivilized.
Jdwood
@jdwood
12 years ago
275 posts

All I have found was that some Gauls would putchalkin their hair andbackcomb it when theywentinto battle to make them look fierce but nothing about vikings orNorsebut it is possible that some did have locks.

ToTheAnkles! said:

Does anyone have any references about viking/norse wearing their hair in dreads? From what I've read viking/norse were very uptight about maintaining their hair and beards and that the belief of them wearing locks or uncombed hair stemmed from propaganda to make them appear barbaric and uncivilized.
freeman
@freeman
12 years ago
3 posts
OkaySome people selectively miss the key and only relevantdistinction. Keep in mind that what we call English. in reference to language. is more of a code than a language created by the oppressor. This code would be used in case they could not use shackle and chain. I agree that those with hair and no way to cut hair had locks. I also agree with and know from reading and personal experiences an an ancient text make many reference to locks. Rapunzel had, if the stories are true, thy "flyest" Locks in the kingdom, that is why her father locked her up in that minnerett. And geographically I am deducing that she was.an Ivory complected sister. I walk upright so i must give credit where it is due. and the truth shall set me free. Herein lies your oversight. Can you have dreadlocks without hair? i would like some.ideas before i open your eyes to what some have chosen not to see. using a search engine to answer is the absolute weakest idea, use your heart.
Jdwood
@jdwood
12 years ago
275 posts

I really don't see any point in justifying locks with culture or 'race' (what ever definition of race you use). It all boils down to belief and belief is personal you can't force it on any one ( well some might try but history has taught us the negative outcome of forcing belief).

freeman
@freeman
12 years ago
3 posts
Please forgive the length of time to shed light upon the subject of whites with dreads. To ground an argument in something as transient as skin color would be unwise as well as easily dismantled so the immediacy of the topic as stated makes our Darwinian fight or flight defense mechanisms go off because anything that denies us our right to a life of our choosing and all of the happiness gathered along the way is the enemy. We attach our spirits to worldly ideas and things designed to separate rather than bring us together and fight, some til death, to protect our attachments to these illusions. I am no more black than I am white. My spirit does not limit itself to the experience of the HUE MAN. Forgetting that we are spirits first and foremost will leave us a life full of attachments to the things we can experience through or human senses. I know what I am and I know what you all are and I am equal to the total as well as the solitary.The group of people who were brought to this continent in subhuman bondage are the ancestors of the majority of so called Black people in the U.S today save for a very small percentage of students, scholars, athletes, soldiers, travelers who have chosen the U.S as home. The connection between these slaves and the Blacks(for argument) of the present is a reality no intelligent person would question. And it is the escaped slaves that found the caribbean jungles a natural fortress and sanctuary from slavery. All mention of locks to this point in time throughout history, folklore, religion and myth had not described the locks of theses runaway slaves because it was this action alone, the enslavement of freepeople, that caused the strong to run, to become a part of their environment and to live so close to it that one could easily walk right past without noticing. This appearance, by English/British , standard was by all means Dreadful.So when you say Dreadlocks, you are being very specific. It is not as we say Kleenex to be all facial tissue. Vikings, Sadhus, monks, Rabi, or any other historic group did not wear Dreadlocks, the references to the hairstyles of these people from appropriate text most certainly spoke of locks which was to convey strength and nobility. Dreadlocks were to convey quite the opposite and was not by any stretch of the imagination a look anyone but those runaway slaves would dare to wear, main reason being mistaken for a runaway slave. Slavery itself was Dreadful and very not chic. So it is not those of you who are embracing, Nordic, Celtic, Gaelic, Icelandic, Hindu, judaic or any other lock wearing group that racial (illusion) tensions are directed. It is the Red Gold and Green wearing, Patois adopting, Ire chanting, Selassie hailing group. I am not a Rastafarian. Marcus Garvey said a Black Christ for Blacks because in the wake of 400 years of bondage the Christ given to the people looked like the oppressor and matter of fact everyone in the Bible had been Europeanized.Bob even makes a point of saying Africa is for Africans, Europeans have Europe, Asians,etc. He was not asking for a homogenized scene, he wanted to see people embracing their roots not his. that would be irie. Here in the states its easier to imitate than educate.Dreadlocks were borne of slaves and the sooner you release yourselves from the guilt you have inherited and not erase the truth from your soul as man has attempted to erase his wrongdoing from history you can embrace the struggle from the inside out. The preoccupation with length and appearance will keep you from Overstanding the truth. I am no better or worse than you. I know the history of this body and the history of the skin I am in, I am not attached to it. Locks in my experience was a natural progression they have not made my life easier by any means and to receive a compliment on my appearance is very new.Its safe, relatively, to wear locks, and if it is Dreadlocks you wear let consciousness be all the nourishment your roots need. Bless.`

/ 4
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form