Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Rastas and Dreads

Marlee Skye
@marlee-skye
14 years ago
50 posts
Dreads are apart of many religions..I still think that long ago, everyone one was dreaded no matter what.I mean like caveman days.. Heck, how'd they come their hair?It was probably easier to let it dread naturally and just direct it.. Ya know?Idk. Totally makes sense to me. lol
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
Plus, I really don't agree with the fact that you shouldn't embrace ideals of many religions at the same time. Wicca doesn't completely jive with me... it's too structured for what I believe... I don't have the time or teacher for Druidism... I just call myself 'pagan' because I have created my own truth from the truth of various religions...if that makes any sense. In my opinion there's not just one right way... there are many, and each religious experience should be unique to the person... we aren't all going to think exactly alike.Seriously though, there were religious peoples wearing dreads long before Rastafarianism showed up...Long before any form of Christianity showed up for that matter. Rastas are just the only people to have been seen most often with the hairstyle in modern culture, and thereby are associated with it ( i.e. dreads=rasta rasta=dreads). The assumption is incorrect, but so are a number of assumptions made by society these days. Lisa McRae said:
Dreadlocks are apart of many religions. It's a huge part of Pagan life, and it's what human hair is supposed to look like. Your friends doesn't know what he's talking about.
Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
Not every dread is a Rasta and not every Rasta is a dread....thats my profile quote :D...dreads are a part of many religions because dreads are a part of life.They were once the way hair was so a religious deity or leader would have them, naturally.Breathing, worship, studying and praying are part of every religion too. Should you stop those?
Shuaib ahmed
@shuaib-ahmed
14 years ago
154 posts
my friend thinks it contridicts with my religion if I have dreadlocks which is from another religion. I didn't really pay too much attention to him because i knew I would get lots of negative feedback from friends and family so I am going to leave my dreads the way they are.Although my dad told my not to come backhome after the first year of uni if i still have my dreads :D lolcheers everyone for the information x
Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
Spiritual manipulation sucks, I'm glad your keeping them,you trust your creator not a friend or a guy, thats huge. Shuaib ahmed said:
my friend thinks it contridicts with my religion if I have dreadlocks which is from another religion. I didn't really pay too much attention to him because i knew I would get lots of negative feedback from friends and family so I am going to leave my dreads the way they are.

Although my dad told my not to come backhome after the first year of uni if i still have my dreads :D lol

cheers everyone for the information x
Squonk
@squonk
14 years ago
1 posts
From wikipedia's article about dreads: "In Senegal, the Baye Fall, followers of the Mouride movement, a sect of Islam indigenous to the country which was founded in 1887 by Shaykh Aamadu Bmba Mbkke, are famous for growing locks and wearing multi-colored gowns." I'm sure other muslim groups can be found who wear locks, as well. In any case, the point stands that locks are not proper to any one religion or movement. Good luck arguing with your friend :)

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form