Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

important history spirituality and religious significance of dreadlocks

Coppa
@coppa
14 years ago
6 posts
I found this article that i found very interesting. I think people with dreadlocks should know about it. I'm not saying that im going to follow it when i get my locks (which i am doing naturaly) but i think we should be aware of this. http://thebutterflytribe.com/articles/historyofdreadlocks.html after you read the first link click this next one where the 77 commandments will be to the right of the webpage in a column http://theearthcenter.com/index.php?vow=Accept comment below and let me know what you think
updated by @coppa: 02/04/18 04:12:22AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
well i moved it to history and religious significancei think they are great articleswhat i would loooove is for someone to take the time and do research and write up our own well written article on the history and spirituality of dreadlocks

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
im gonna retitle this too

--
Fush
@fush
14 years ago
19 posts
I found both articles to be quite interesting, they really drive home the point that dreadlocks are a life style, not a fashion statement. Personally, I love History and find religion to be quite fascinating (even if I myself am essentially an atheist) so it was really neat to read about the spread through Africa. The best part of it all is how each religious sect would have a different take on dreadlocks or just hair in general and how it served in the grand scheme of things. Each group would have developed their own beliefs over time therefore expanding the things dreadlocks could mean and opening them to so many more wonderful interpretations, which really explains how we jumped from priests the purest otf all being the only ones to really dread to modern Rastafarianism or even just Dreadlocks as a trend.To me, as a non religious person, I see dreads and dreading as choosing to let go of societal norms and be free to just be myself, do what essentially comes natural and in a way my own belifes seem to reflect what I've just read (though admittedly not entirely). Still I think that in a modern world where God is essentially dead some of these commandments hold true, whether as a religious following assuring passage to a good after life or even just as something to live ones life by they essnetialy encourage being an all around good person. Which should really be the point of anything in my opinion.The most interesting part of history is really watching how spirituality changes to reflect the changes in the world and yet how older beliefs like these 77 comandments could really hold true today.The Too long, didn't read version; I think both articles are quite fascinating and though what they suggest dreadlocks really mean is an older religious belief it really hold true today to some degree. But more in a personal sense rather than an entirely religious one.Sorry if I rambled a bit haha, But I might like to take a shot at writing something up about the History of Dreadlocks, there's just so much to learn and it really is fascinating to read about.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
go for it id love to see what u come up with

--
GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
I don't really like that article. I didn't read the second. I mean, yes...I get the religious stuff. But dread heads will be judged more harshly than people who cut their hair? I doubt that...unless they took the proper vows and then they shaved, killed a goat and did the proper rituals would this apply to them. For people like me, it is just a spiritual connection to mother earth and maybe it helps with my connection to God too but to say that I will be judged harshly because I am growing locks is stupid. Matter of fact, in the bible it says long hair is to be the shame of men and in growing locks he is throwing away is pride. It doesn't say it in that exact format but you get idea. But the throwing away of ones pride is a good thing religiously speaking. It is to become more humble and that is always a good thing. But at the same time one should have a little pride when it comes to certain things in my opinion. I don't relate religion to dreadlocks. I relate dreadlocks more to nature and spirituality. Of course, spirituality relates to religion if you are religious so in that way it does relate. Sorry if that is confusing, lol.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
what u need to understand istheres 1000 major beliefs that honor dreadlocksevery major beliefs split into 1,000 sectseach sects brokenup into a million personal beliefsso the article covers so major beliefs focuses alot more on particular sects beliefs and includes personal beliefsnoww it may say u need to cut and kill a goat, but if it was wrritten by someone else it might say you need to consecrate the dreads with the ashes of the deadorbathe in cow urineorburn them adfter cuttingorburry them after cuttingornever alow your dreads to be seen in publicoralways have them covered when ptayingor always have them covered except when ptayingorwell you get the ideaevery beliwefs a bit different

--
Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
I think to claim for God or the Gods that any one will be judged harsher than any one else is prideful in itself.I don't think God or gods need us to decide for her/him what s/he will do to mankind by way of judgment or damnation, thats taking on the role of God or gods.I don't think that any one religion or race can claim dread locks, thats ridiculous.I don't like the first articles over all tone and claim of dread locks.I will comment later on the second.Also I don't believe the Creator is evil as suggested by this article and most religions.I did read the second, I googled it when reading the first, didn't realize until I clicked it here.
GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
lol, that's what I was thinking...I saw that at least four the "commandments" were just repeats. Knottysleeves said:
That Earth Center link is entertaining. I don't "seize cattle on prairies" or "steal bread meant for Gods", so it looks like I'm in the clear! Yay!
GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
Don't take milk from the mouth of a child and don't take food from the mouth of a child...Don't fish for fish with fish as bait...silly. Don't prevent a God from manifesting itself...how am I gonna do that?...don't, don't, don't, don't....What can I DO? These commandments are silly, lol.It basically says, "don't live life to the fullest or you'll be condemned a horrible fate...especially if you don't brush your hair...." STUPID, haha.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form