Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

i need biblical references to dreadlocks my church kicked me out for wanting to dread

James Colby Justice
@james-colby-justice
11 years ago
75 posts

If the members of your congregation read the bible they would learn that no one has the authority to kick someone out of a congregation. Also, bigotry is a sin.

updated by @james-colby-justice: 07/23/15 12:12:58AM
KnotLady
@knotlady
11 years ago
300 posts

thats very hypocritical of them and you probably shouldnt subject yourself to the mangled interpretations of Gods word they will give. church is for fellowship; fellowship is for encouragement and being with like minds to praise God. so find a church that actually has nice people and upholds Gods word. that can be hard to find, but it is possible...my church asked me to be the nursery director despite my crazy hair. they are humbly and honestly active in the community to help people. they let me kno that not all churches are bad... i would say, as a fellow believer, if you cannot find a decent church, work on your personal relationship with God. Start by reading the bible as if you have never heard it or read it before and see what God says though it. i feel dreading has brought me so much closer to God and has helped me hear what he has to say so to speak...john the babtist had dreads...and im sure lots and lots of other people had dreads in the bible... I mean really if you just let your hair go, let go of pride and vanity, beautiful locks of hair form on your head. and its because God made it so. so those people really need to examine themselves and their own faith.

caleb2
@caleb2
11 years ago
2 posts

Dear Jesus Freed My Soul:

I have read your reply to my original letter of April first.

I have read extensively about Rastafari and Bob Marley.

I do not doubt that Bob Marley was baptized as a Christian about six months before his death.

However, I am well aware that there are many devotees of Bob Marley who believe he died a Rastafari and not a Christian http://www.cannabisculture.com/content/rastafari-secret-history-marijuana-religion

This is very difficult to reconcile.

That is, it is very difficult for me to reconcile Bob Marley's reported Christian conversion and the fact that his official website does not mention anything about his Christian conversion. Please see http://www.bobmarley.com/life_and_legacy_bob_and_rastafari.php

If Bob Marley himself desired that his baptism into Christianity should be understood by the world and all his fans as a true conversion and a rejection of Rastafari beliefs, he would have said so. He lived for six months after his baptism and I find no record of any statement he made during that time in which he unequivocally repudiated Rastafari beliefs and declared that Jesus was The Only Way to The Father God, and The Only Path To Salvation.

I can only exercise Christian Spiritual Discernment over the whole thrust of Bob Marley's Public Persona and his publicly expressed beliefs.

I must state that I have to accept that Bob Marley's Official Website must be controlled by his surviving family and its content must be carefully edited and approved by them.

There is nothing in his Official Website which I could find having anything to do with Christianity.

His family knew him better than anyone else. I have to believe that what they have elected to project to the world about him is true, and represents his true beliefs.

Finally, I cannot accept that Rastafari are Christian. They believe in Haile Selassie as god or jesus.

I also must conclude that dreadlocks are a symbol of Rastafari.

Exercising Spiritual Discernment over all those things, I have to conclude that dreadlocks are not Christian.

I believe it is important to exercise Spiritual Discernment over everything.

Sincerely yours,

Caleb Boone.

Jesus Freed My Soul!! said:

Um, no. I represent Christ. If people want to think of me as something else without first asking me, that is THEIR problem. You cannot look at someone and automatically know who they are! I don't care where dreadlocks came from! My hair dreads all by itself. Imagine that. THAT is where I got the idea from. I reject ALL other religions therefore, I cannot possibly be wearing something on my head that represents them. That's akin to telling someone who wears black clothes all the time, they must be in mourning...

caleb said:

Dear Brandon Law:

I know it has been almost three years since you typed your original question, but I want to respond now.

I have strong feelings about this topic. Please understand that I believe this is a very important Spiritual topic.

Please further understand that all I type below is typed out of genuine Christian love and solicitude for you and your friends.

Of course, you may disagree with me. If so, please reply accordingly. I submit this letter in the spirit of strong Christian advice and counsel, but also in the spirit of good-natured academic discussion.

Finally, Brandon, please know that I have performed all the research below, just for you, by myself. I have done all of it for you specifically, from scratch.

I apologize for the different type-sizes or fonts. That occurred accidentally. Even though some of the type is larger or smaller, if it is not in quotation marks, it was typed by me.

With that introduction, let me begin.

Dreadlocks are un-Christian, without question. Anyone wearing dreadlocks in the United States in contemporary society, could not possibly have come to understand what they were and to be attracted to them, and to wear them, without having been influenced by un-Christian, or non-Christian traditions, customs and styles.
Dreadlocks have come to be popular in the United States for only one reason: for the reason that they became popular in Jamaica among the Jamacian Rastafari in the 1950s and 1960s.
This basic point is easily proven by reference to any American dreadlocks-related website. I refer you to the following passage from the dreadlocks-related "Dready Girl" website, particularly the subpage thereof which has to do with the "History of Dreadlocks," which I easily found:
" The precise date of origin of the hairstyle is unknown. However dates range from 5000 BCE to 1500 BCE. The roots of dreadlocks can be trailed to the Rastafarians of Jamaica, and further, to Indian sages and yogis, but they have never been more popular or widespread than they are today. It is said that dreadlocks originated with eastern holy men, possessing nothing, renouncing the world and possessions (not even a comb) and even personal grooming, hence the inevitable dreadlocks."
To read the whole "Dready Girl" website, please visit:
I must repeat the passage from this "Dready Girl" webpage for emphasis to drive home the obvious, well-accepted notion that, for persons living in the United States, dreadlocks absolutely have their origins in the Rastafari of Jamaica: "The roots of dreadlocks can be trailed [traced] to the Rastafarians of Jamaica . . . ."
The Rastafari, in turn, were inspired to wear dreadlocks by seeing news photos of the Mau Mau people, taken during the Mau Mau uprising in Kenya in 1952-1960.
The Kenyan Mau Mau people are a subgroup of the Kenyan Kikuyu People.
The Kikuyu are the predominant people of Kenya. They were originally formed of the Bantu which migrated to Kenya either from the North/Northeast or the South.
I have found this written about the origin of dreadlocks, in the Wikipedia Article on Dreadlocks:
" The Mau Mau, a largely ethnic Kikuyu rebel group in Kenya fighting to overthrow the state government of the British Colony and Protectorate of Kenya from 19521960, hid for many years in the forests, during which time their hair grew into long locks. The images of their rebellion, then broadcast around the world, are said to have inspired Jamaican Rastafari to wear locks. [8] "
The religion of the Kikuyu People, and hence the Mau Mau, is not Christianity. I have found the following in the Wikipedia Article about the Kikuyu People:

"Spirituality and religion

"Ngai - The creator
"The Gky were - and still are - monotheists believing in a unique and omnipotent God whom they refer to as Ngai. Both the Gky, Embu and Kamba use this name. God was also known as Murungu by the Meru and Embu tribes, or Mulungu (a variant of a word meaning God which is found as far south as the Zambezi of Zambia). The title Mwathani or Mwathi (the greatest ruler) which comes from the word gwatha meaning to rule or reign with authority was-and- is also used.
"Mount Kenya and religion
"Ngai or mwene-nyaga is the creator and giver of all things, "the Divider of the Universe and Lord of Nature". He (God) created the human community. It is also believed that He created the first Gky communities, and provided them with all the resources necessary for life: land, rain, plants and animals. He cannot be seen but is manifest in the sun, moon, stars, comets and meteors, thunder and lightning, rain, in rainbows and in the great fig trees (Mugumo). These trees served as places of worship and sacrifice and marked the spot at Mkre wa Gathanga where Gky and Mmbi the ancestors of the Gky in the oral legend first settled.
"Yet was not a distant God (as known in the West). He has human characteristics, and although some say that He lives in the sky or in the clouds, Gky lore also says that he comes to earth from time to time to inspect it, bestow blessings and mete out punishment (similar to God's visit of Abraham before destroying Sodom). When he comes He rests on Mount Kenya and krma ka njah (Kilimambogo). Thunder is interpreted to be the movement of God and lightning is the weapon used by Ngai to clear the way when moving from one sacred place to another. Some people believe that Ngais abode is on Mount Kenya, or else beyond its peaks. Ngai, one legend says, made the mountain his resting place while on an inspection tour of earth. In the account God then took the first man, Gikuyu, to the top to point out the beauty of the land he was giving him."
The religion of the Rastafari is not Christianity. I found the following in the Wikiepdia Article on Rasta, or the Rastafari:
" The Rastafari movement , or Rasta , is an Abrahamic spiritual movement [1] that arose in the 1930s in Jamaica . Its adherents worship Haile Selassie I , Emperor of Ethiopia (ruled 19301974), some as Jesus incarnate , the Second Advent , or the reincarnation of Jesus, others as God the Father ."
There is no doubt that dreadlocks are, for Americans, who wear them in America, associated only with non-Christians. Dreadlocks are a religious symbol of religions other than Christianity. That point is inescapable.
The Rastafari worship Haile Selassie I because they believe he is jesus or god. The Kikuyu Mau Mau worship Ngai who they believe often visits Mount Kenya and is embodied in the sun, moon, stars, comets and meteors.
If you wear dreadlocks, you are wearing the symbol of religions which worship Haile Selassie and/or meteors.
I am only pointing out the truth. The truth is that, for Twentieth Century and Twenty-first Century Americans, living in the United States, it is inescapable that the dreadlocks which they wear here in the United States of America, came into American culture via the Jamaican Rastafarians in the 1950s and 1960s via the Mau Mau of the Kikuyu People of Kenya. All of those origins are absolutely non-Christian.
Sincerely yours,
Caleb Boone.
christina popejoy
@christina-popejoy
11 years ago
91 posts

The Church is just a massive subject huh. churches range from the charismatic supernatural, to spirit filled abandon in worship of the king to the middle class somber religious meeting. Culturally the body of the church as in people struggle against culture. Rightfully said that the bible is far to often used as a wepon to judge, and condem and taken out of its intended context to be used for human control. We know that the truth in its words, can only be truly found we you let the spirit inside you guide your heart and actions. The word like you said is supposed to free us. The truth shall set you free! far to many of us have been damaged by prescribed set bible passage churches, that use the tick box mentality of going to church on a sunday. we are supposed to ask questions of it, seek jesus in prayer over it, speak with each other about it. Its a massive confusing at times sorta book. The way I try to look at it and I definatley dont always get it right is not as a rule book, but as bread, sustenance encouragement and direct connection to jesus's power, his spirit in its words. a biography of his life and a challange to mine.

The way I see it and this is just opinion is that church is supposed to be a living community, one that loves, cherises, encourages, is vulnerable and accountable with each other. No hierarchy except for Jesus, No pharasies or law keepers. If the church doesnt change its culture its sure enough to say that church in the cultural Church of England sense could die out and maybe it has too.

Church as I see it should be a gathering an organic, living community. much like a rainbow gathering (which I am still desperate to experience), Infactthe early church and Jesus's gang totally rolled like that a community that had Beach charcoal fires to gather together, road trips to heal and raise the dead, freeing people from bondage, mental helath and addictions, babtising in rivers and seeking solitude in gardens and mountiain tops, sharing meals with people that thought themselves un loveable, cast out or "too sinful", being prepared to be punished for not running with the cultural status quo even though it led to his and some of their deaths, always sticking true to jesus and not bowing down to any other leader or power. They we're church! This is the sort of church I pray for. And have had the privialage to be part of and meet some churches that are like this. Currently I am part of a Church of England church that is more of a middle class tick box church they find my dreads weird but I know there is hope towards a culture shift towards a church more like the church of jesus not a religious building as they accept my husband and I, he is the youth leader there. Complety covered in tattoos, neck arms hands and even has a massive chest piece of jesus face they wanna change to be more accepting and open but just afraid., But as nelson mandella says 'Be the change you wanna see in the world'. I just wanna be like Jesus and LOVE people.

He was Love and thats all I can aim to be to others. I definately dont get it right all the time and thats OK He was the only perfect one! Love you all, beautiful people. Dont be discouraged by worldy views. Keep your eyes on Jesus and do things his way like we find in his story. Thats all I can try to follow too.

Peace and blessings on your journey

The way you explain forgiveness is not how it works. I don't have faith in any church. Especially the one your describing. It is NOT Christian. It might have good people in it but, IT completely rejects the Gospel of Christ.

No church, building, hail Mary prayers, penance, or money will earn anyone forgiveness. Most people's perception of Christianity is what they see of the roman catholic church. This is NOT my religion.

Here is what I believe. God created us. We fell. No man, woman or child is 'good' enough compared to God. He is perfection and it is absolutely impossible to follow His laws. In our 'lost' (sinful) state, God became a man. He went through every human trial we could possibly imagine. He died (historical fact) and rose again. HE took our place and there is not a single thing 'we' can do about it. He paid for it. WE either accept it or not. Free will.

He left us His word to follow yet people use it every day to bash and kill each other. No one who does not have Christ can understand what is in it from God's perspective. Only their own perspective or what someone else tells them.

That being said, Jesus said the only way to the Father is through Him. His sacrifice paid for our sins, big and small forever. He said you must be born again. I witnessed two very close family members be born again just yesterday. It had nothing to do with a priest or a church building and EVERYTHING to do with the realization of God's mercy. People can hear the Gospel message all day every day for life, believe there is a God and even believe in Christ and never are born again. They will forever be tied down by 'religion'.

I hope I don't seem offensive and I love ALL people. I just keep seeing over and over again, Christianity being the catholic church. It is not. Jesus did not come to trap people. He came to set them free:)

The word 'church' (wrongly, long story) comes form the greek word 'ecclesia' = the called out. There is no heirarchy the way some churches claim. Jesus is our King and we are simply His followers.

By the way, as a Christian, I am supposed to speak out against evil and let people know what God's word says from His perspective BUT, it is not up to me to judge them OR try to change their hearts. That job belongs to God and God alone:)

Love to ALL of you!!

Jesus Freed My Soul!!

Green Head
@green-head
11 years ago
31 posts

Yeah man, yeahhh!

soaring eagle said:

but honestly any church that would dare kick u out for your hair is a church worth having nothing to do with
Rheana Hayes
@rheana-hayes
10 years ago
26 posts

Absolutely. He didn't come back to answer that question.

Caleb, why are you here?

caleb said:

Dear Jesus Freed My Soul:

I have read your reply to my original letter of April first.

I have read extensively about Rastafari and Bob Marley .

I do not doubt that Bob Marley was baptized as a Christian about six months before his death.

However, I am well aware that there are many devotees of Bob Marley who believe he died a Rastafari and not a Christian http://www.cannabisculture.com/content/rastafari-secret-history-mar...

This is very difficult to reconcile.

That is, it is very difficult for me to reconcile Bob Marley 's reported Christian conversion and the fact that his official website does not mention anything about his Christian conversion. Please see http://www.bobmarley.com/life_and_legacy_bob_and_rastafari.php

If Bob Marley himself desired that his baptism into Christianity should be understood by the world and all his fans as a true conversion and a rejection of Rastafari beliefs, he would have said so. He lived for six months after his baptism and I find no record of any statement he made during that time in which he unequivocally repudiated Rastafari beliefs and declared that Jesus was The Only Way to The Father God, and The Only Path To Salvation.

I can only exercise Christian Spiritual Discernment over the whole thrust of Bob Marley 's Public Persona and his publicly expressed beliefs.

I must state that I have to accept that Bob Marley 's Official Website must be controlled by his surviving family and its content must be carefully edited and approved by them.

There is nothing in his Official Website which I could find having anything to do with Christianity.

His family knew him better than anyone else. I have to believe that what they have elected to project to the world about him is true, and represents his true beliefs.

Finally, I cannot accept that Rastafari are Christian. They believe in Haile Selassie as god or jesus.

I also must conclude that dreadlocks are a symbol of Rastafari.

Exercising Spiritual Discernment over all those things, I have to conclude that dreadlocks are not Christian.

I believe it is important to exercise Spiritual Discernment over everything.

Sincerely yours,

Caleb Boone.

Um, no. I represent Christ. If people want to think of me as something else without first asking me, that is THEIR problem. You cannot look at someone and automatically know who they are! I don't care where dreadlocks came from! My hair dreads all by itself. Imagine that. THAT is where I got the idea from. I reject ALL other religions therefore, I cannot possibly be wearing something on my head that represents them. That's akin to telling someone who wears black clothes all the time, they must be in mourning...

caleb said:

Dear Brandon Law:

I know it has been almost three years since you typed your original question, but I want to respond now.

I have strong feelings about this topic. Please understand that I believe this is a very important Spiritual topic.

Please further understand that all I type below is typed out of genuine Christian love and solicitude for you and your friends.

Of course, you may disagree with me. If so, please reply accordingly. I submit this letter in the spirit of strong Christian advice and counsel, but also in the spirit of good-natured academic discussion.

Finally, Brandon, please know that I have performed all the research below, just for you, by myself. I have done all of it for you specifically, from scratch.

I apologize for the different type-sizes or fonts. That occurred accidentally. Even though some of the type is larger or smaller, if it is not in quotation marks, it was typed by me.

With that introduction, let me begin.

Dreadlocks are un-Christian, without question. Anyone wearing dreadlocks in the United States in contemporary society, could not possibly have come to understand what they were and to be attracted to them, and to wear them, without having been influenced by un-Christian, or non-Christian traditions, customs and styles.
Dreadlocks have come to be popular in the United States for only one reason: for the reason that they became popular in Jamaica among the Jamacian Rastafari in the 1950s and 1960s.
This basic point is easily proven by reference to any American dreadlocks-related website. I refer you to the following passage from the dreadlocks-related "Dready Girl" website, particularly the subpage thereof which has to do with the "History of Dreadlocks," which I easily found:
" The precise date of origin of the hairstyle is unknown. However dates range from 5000 BCE to 1500 BCE. The roots of dreadlocks can be trailed to the Rastafarians of Jamaica, and further, to Indian sages and yogis, but they have never been more popular or widespread than they are today. It is said that dreadlocks originated with eastern holy men, possessing nothing, renouncing the world and possessions (not even a comb) and even personal grooming, hence the inevitable dreadlocks."
To read the whole "Dready Girl" website, please visit:
I must repeat the passage from this "Dready Girl" webpage for emphasis to drive home the obvious, well-accepted notion that, for persons living in the United States, dreadlocks absolutely have their origins in the Rastafari of Jamaica: "The roots of dreadlocks can be trailed [traced] to the Rastafarians of Jamaica . . . ."
The Rastafari, in turn, were inspired to wear dreadlocks by seeing news photos of the Mau Mau people, taken during the Mau Mau uprising in Kenya in 1952-1960.
The Kenyan Mau Mau people are a subgroup of the Kenyan Kikuyu People.
The Kikuyu are the predominant people of Kenya. They were originally formed of the Bantu which migrated to Kenya either from the North/Northeast or the South.
I have found this written about the origin of dreadlocks, in the Wikipedia Article on Dreadlocks:
" The Mau Mau, a largely ethnic Kikuyu rebel group in Kenya fighting to overthrow the state government of the British Colony and Protectorate of Kenya from 19521960, hid for many years in the forests, during which time their hair grew into long locks. The images of their rebellion, then broadcast around the world, are said to have inspired Jamaican Rastafari to wear locks. [8] "
The religion of the Kikuyu People, and hence the Mau Mau, is not Christianity. I have found the following in the Wikipedia Article about the Kikuyu People:

"Spirituality and religion

"Ngai - The creator
"The Gky were - and still are - monotheists believing in a unique and omnipotent God whom they refer to as Ngai. Both the Gky, Embu and Kamba use this name. God was also known as Murungu by the Meru and Embu tribes, or Mulungu (a variant of a word meaning God which is found as far south as the Zambezi of Zambia). The title Mwathani or Mwathi (the greatest ruler) which comes from the word gwatha meaning to rule or reign with authority was-and- is also used.
"Mount Kenya and religion
"Ngai or mwene-nyaga is the creator and giver of all things, "the Divider of the Universe and Lord of Nature". He (God) created the human community. It is also believed that He created the first Gky communities, and provided them with all the resources necessary for life: land, rain, plants and animals. He cannot be seen but is manifest in the sun, moon, stars, comets and meteors, thunder and lightning, rain, in rainbows and in the great fig trees (Mugumo). These trees served as places of worship and sacrifice and marked the spot at Mkre wa Gathanga where Gky and Mmbi the ancestors of the Gky in the oral legend first settled.
"Yet was not a distant God (as known in the West). He has human characteristics, and although some say that He lives in the sky or in the clouds, Gky lore also says that he comes to earth from time to time to inspect it, bestow blessings and mete out punishment (similar to God's visit of Abraham before destroying Sodom). When he comes He rests on Mount Kenya and krma ka njah (Kilimambogo). Thunder is interpreted to be the movement of God and lightning is the weapon used by Ngai to clear the way when moving from one sacred place to another. Some people believe that Ngais abode is on Mount Kenya, or else beyond its peaks. Ngai, one legend says, made the mountain his resting place while on an inspection tour of earth. In the account God then took the first man, Gikuyu, to the top to point out the beauty of the land he was giving him."
The religion of the Rastafari is not Christianity. I found the following in the Wikiepdia Article on Rasta, or the Rastafari:
" The Rastafari movement , or Rasta , is an Abrahamic spiritual movement [1] that arose in the 1930s in Jamaica . Its adherents worship Haile Selassie I , Emperor of Ethiopia (ruled 19301974), some as Jesus incarnate , the Second Advent , or the reincarnation of Jesus, others as God the Father ."
There is no doubt that dreadlocks are, for Americans, who wear them in America, associated only with non-Christians. Dreadlocks are a religious symbol of religions other than Christianity. That point is inescapable.
The Rastafari worship Haile Selassie I because they believe he is jesus or god. The Kikuyu Mau Mau worship Ngai who they believe often visits Mount Kenya and is embodied in the sun, moon, stars, comets and meteors.
If you wear dreadlocks, you are wearing the symbol of religions which worship Haile Selassie and/or meteors.
I am only pointing out the truth. The truth is that, for Twentieth Century and Twenty-first Century Americans, living in the United States, it is inescapable that the dreadlocks which they wear here in the United States of America, came into American culture via the Jamaican Rastafarians in the 1950s and 1960s via the Mau Mau of the Kikuyu People of Kenya. All of those origins are absolutely non-Christian.
Sincerely yours,
Caleb Boone.
Derek2
@dreadedhyena
10 years ago
37 posts

Wow, just wow. Ok, I dont mean to be crass here, but fuck your church. It is no church of true Christianity nor Jesus. "Come as you are." "Judge not lest ye be judged." Are just two quotes from I hope you know who. I just woke up so I can't recall specifics real well right now...but I would really find a difference church. Even if you find biblical proof, they will still silently judge you. Do you want to be in a group of people like that? A church should be a place of spiritual comfort and physical respit. I mean...just casting you out of the church over a hair related matter goes against the main premiss of what the Bible teaches. Wtf.

psynapsurfa technoshaman
@psynapsurfa-technoshaman
10 years ago
5 posts

http://www.openbible.info/topics/dreadlocks

http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/bible-verses-about-dreadlocks/

I hope these are more informative than the ego wanking that i had to read before, which actually answered nothing the the OP asked.

/ 10
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form