Dreadlocks Forums

please help with this frizz ball

TR
@..
12 years ago
7 posts

All I want are dreads like this.

Whitney Mixter

but i just got home with these. This can't be right. What do i do?? I cannot go out in public like this...

I was so excited too :(

I think he might have done some techniques for ethnic hair. . He did some teasing with a brush, there was some twisting and what I believed to be some interlocking with a sewing needle...

No wax or chemicals.

updated by @..: 02/14/15 06:15:29AM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Number 1: You'll never have locks like those. Everyone's locks are different. You can't force them to look like anyone else's no matter how much you force them to form the way you want. Different textured hair forms differently. The shape of your head is different, so the locks lay differently. There are thousands of factors that go into how your locks will form.

2: Never go back there. The needle they used was a crochet hook. That is the close second in most damaging things you can do to locks next to wax. Check out the recovery forums. Crocheting breaks your hair into smaller and smaller pieces, which in turn makes them more and more frizzy. Which makes you think you need more crocheting. If you leave them alone, hey will fix themselves.

3: You just "got" them. Locks do not form overnight, or in 1 session. any starter method you use will never create locks. Locks are got "gotten", they are grown. On average, it takes about a year to have mature locks. In the first 6 months, you will see a lot of unraveling and untangling. The a lot of reknotting and retangling. It's part of the journey. You HAVE to let this happen. Loops and bumps will form. You may go a little nuts at first not knowing what to do about it. DON'T d anything. this is the sign that they are knotting. If you don't see bumps and loops, they aren't knotting.

4 (But should be 1): Yours look juts fine. They look like what locks should look like in the beginning. Why don't you think you can go out like that? We all go through messy stages. It will last a while, so get used to it. There's no instant cure for messiness. Embrace the fact that your locks look normal. Everyones locks looked like that. Check out the timeline forums. And there is a discussion about the beauty of messy locks on here. Also, look up photo's of the member's Heather, Ixchel, and Sussi. Just to name a few. See how beautiful their hair is and messy too.

5: Just be patient

TR
@..
12 years ago
7 posts

Well I mean you have to aim for something or have something to go off of right? I didn't know what number of dreads to tell him or if I wanted one in the center of my head or anything.. All i know is that's what I was aiming for. It wasn't a crochet hook though. It was literally like slightly curved sewing needle. He put part of the hair through the eye. I was just a little unsure and wasstruggling to stay positive. Thank you for your encouraging words.

Baba Fats said:

Number 1: You'll never have locks like those. Everyone's locks are different. You can't force them to look like anyone else's no matter how much you force them to form the way you want. Different textured hair forms differently. The shape of your head is different, so the locks lay differently. There are thousands of factors that go into how your locks will form.

2: Never go back there. The needle they used was a crochet hook. That is the close second in most damaging things you can do to locks next to wax. Check out the recovery forums. Crocheting breaks your hair into smaller and smaller pieces, which in turn makes them more and more frizzy. Which makes you think you need more crocheting. If you leave them alone, hey will fix themselves.

3: You just "got" them. Locks do not form overnight, or in 1 session. any starter method you use will never create locks. Locks are got "gotten", they are grown. On average, it takes about a year to have mature locks. In the first 6 months, you will see a lot of unraveling and untangling. The a lot of reknotting and retangling. It's part of the journey. You HAVE to let this happen. Loops and bumps will form. You may go a little nuts at first not knowing what to do about it. DON'T d anything. this is the sign that they are knotting. If you don't see bumps and loops, they aren't knotting.

4 (But should be 1): Yours look juts fine. They look like what locks should look like in the beginning. Why don't you think you can go out like that? We all go through messy stages. It will last a while, so get used to it. There's no instant cure for messiness. Embrace the fact that your locks look normal. Everyones locks looked like that. Check out the timeline forums. And there is a discussion about the beauty of messy locks on here. Also, look up photo's of the member's Heather, Ixchel, and Sussi. Just to name a few. See how beautiful their hair is and messy too.

5: Just be patient

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

No problem.

Weird. I wouldn't trust that. Any time a needle goes through your locks is damaging. You don't want to poke holes in your locks on purpose.

Definitely stay positive. There may be damage. But if you let them grow on their own now, and don't force anything to happen other than preventing congo's, you will be just fine. Locks have an uncanny way of healing themselves

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

considering how screwed up the methiods used were they look surprisingly good

never gio back do noytt follow any of the care advice he gavve./.its all wrong

interlocking is horible nothing he did was right (as usual)

but all in all it could have been worse

dreads will be fuxzzzy and frizzy as they dread

you grow s a person as you get stronger by going out in public with a fuzzball on your head

they say dreads change you its not just a style so this is your ticket to growth..to become stringer and become a whole new you

accept it..love it..

embrace the mess

you mde a massive mistake by going to a salon..but that parts over now all u got to do is do what u should have domne from the starr...let them dread on their own..dont fdorce it..alloew it

it takes time not force

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
TR
@..
12 years ago
7 posts

My friends did my first 3 because I was so anxious and they are way neater and seem way more legit. They did back combing and some rip and twisting. They were much neater and I feel like I could go out in public with them.. I am very very tempted to try and wash out all the new ones and have them do the way they did originally. I have to do something... I am so embarrassed... I had not seen any pictures of dreads looking like this.Will palm rolling help? Also.. He put salt in my hair and told me to try to keep it there for a couple days.. Should i rinse it out??

What it looks like today about 12 hours after.

updated by @..: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Palm rolling will only hurt them. But the damage doesn't show up for about a year, when they grow out. But once that starts to happen, it is VERY hard to fix. I palm rolled for about 2 weeks in the very beginning and I am still trying to fix the damage 6 years later. I posted a vid of what it did to my locks. You should check it out before you do anything.

If you take them out, and have your friend redo them, in a week you'll be at the same place you are now. It's better to just tough it out. They need to be this messy in order to lock up. And really, they don't look bad at all. I wish mine were as nice as yours. My hair is thinning on top of my head and some of my locks have very weak roots (The ones I palm rolled).

Never leave salt in your hair for more than 2 hours. It dries out your hair scalp and makes it itch. If it's not itching, you're lucky. But it is still over drying your hair and will make it brittle. Whenever you use sea salt, wash it out as soon as you can. This includes going to the beach and getting your hair wet.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

yea wasgh out the salt

and sorry to say the only reason they look extra frizzy is the ammount of damage tbat was done trying to make them extra neat salons will try to mkake them look perfect in a day but that cauyses extreme harm and a few weelks later u got aw mess so they try to get u to come back to neattej up the mess..which will only cause more harm

if u went nauaral ..youd still have a mess at 2 weeks but it would be a mess youd be prpud of that made u feel beautiful a healthy mes not a damaged mess

just wait it out they will get better

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
TR
@..
12 years ago
7 posts

But if interlocking is bad why wouldn't I try to wash out whatever he did so far? Should i just rinse without shampoo? or should I just go in the pool?

soaring eagle said:

yea wasgh out the salt

and sorry to say the only reason they look extra frizzy is the ammount of damage tbat was done trying to make them extra neat salons will try to mkake them look perfect in a day but that cauyses extreme harm and a few weelks later u got aw mess so they try to get u to come back to neattej up the mess..which will only cause more harm

if u went nauaral ..youd still have a mess at 2 weeks but it would be a mess youd be prpud of that made u feel beautiful a healthy mes not a damaged mess

just wait it out they will get better

Jackie
@jackie
12 years ago
78 posts
No, leave them alone! Honestly they look great and anytime you feel self-concious just come on here and everyone will tell you how awesome your dreads look! :) The early days are harder for some people-- believe me, you WILL get over the fuzzy stage and will learn a lot about what you consider as beautiful. Even my prissy sister is now convinced natural crazy dreads are gorgeous-- we have all been there girl; try not to let it consume you :)
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form