Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

1st month problems

Elvira Figueroa
@elvira-figueroa
12 years ago
24 posts

So my dreads hit 3 weeks today *claps* but some of my thicket ones aren't exactly knotting, i used the bachcombing method and have washed them twice and gone to the pool blah blah, but some of the are just poofy and not good looking, which im not to picky about because they wont look beautiful the first month, some dreads are wanting to slipt in half and i have left them alone for a little this is what they look like, i heard about the bs/sea salt stuff and i wanna know how to make it, but i was wondering how long would it take for them to start closing upp more and what i can do, palm rolling does NOTHING more like a 2 min good looking dread, i think that they're so curly because i have really curly hair which is understandable, i try to palm roll them when they're damp because i heard that is good? Idk any advice? :)

updated by @elvira-figueroa: 02/14/15 08:12:56AM
Doogie
@doogie
12 years ago
321 posts
Dont worry about it. If some fall out just let them alone and do not backcomb again. The only maintenence you should do is wash them and separate on occation. When i use bs i use about 1/2 cup in a 1.5L pitcher and about 3 teaspoons of sea salt. Soak for 10-20mins rinse really really well followed by a diluted acv rinse. Rinse well then air dry or sit in front of a fan on hi. My hair loves the fan! Also get some bars from dreadlockshampoo.com. It does wonders!
Doogie
@doogie
12 years ago
321 posts
Oops meant a 1.5gal pitcher
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

they are fine but dont palm roll palm rolling does nothing at all unless it does damage its pointless

palm rolling only simulates dreading when wax is used thats its only purpose

just leave em alone thbety are perfectly fine

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

If they want to split in 2, let them. That specific section of hair might just lay on a spot on your head that naturally becomes 2 sections.

Let them be. They will come together.3 months is still young. The 4th month tends to be the messiest for many people. So you should probably see them coming together pretty soon,

I use a 1 liter bottle and mix 1/2 cup BS with 1-2tbls of salt. Then whatever oils you want.

Pour it on, and let sit for 10 minutes or so. The rinse, then mix about a capful of ACV in the same amount of water. Wash this off right away. When they nature, you can use more ACV and leave it in longer.

And palm rolling does nothing. It's only useful when wax is involved to make them look like locks. But it really is only a quick fix. I posted a video about what palm rolling did to my locks. If you watch it, you'll never palm roll again.

Elvira Figueroa
@elvira-figueroa
12 years ago
24 posts

i watched it, thats what changed my whole perspective about it, what do i do about the curly ness of the hair? Will it go away as they lock up more?

Baba Fats said:

If they want to split in 2, let them. That specific section of hair might just lay on a spot on your head that naturally becomes 2 sections.

Let them be. They will come together.3 months is still young. The 4th month tends to be the messiest for many people. So you should probably see them coming together pretty soon,

I use a 1 liter bottle and mix 1/2 cup BS with 1-2tbls of salt. Then whatever oils you want.

Pour it on, and let sit for 10 minutes or so. The rinse, then mix about a capful of ACV in the same amount of water. Wash this off right away. When they nature, you can use more ACV and leave it in longer.

And palm rolling does nothing. It's only useful when wax is involved to make them look like locks. But it really is only a quick fix. I posted a video about what palm rolling did to my locks. If you watch it, you'll never palm roll again.

S!deShoBOB
@sdeshobob
12 years ago
3 posts

this is exactly what my hair did! just leave them be maybe spritz them with salt water in the morning. The more your leave them be the quicker they will take.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Thatcurlinesswill turn into a neat texture that makes your locks completely unique to your head.

The salt water is a good idea but you shouldn't use it on days your aren't washing. It will continue to dry out your hair and scalp until it's rinsed off. This can make your super itchy if there's to much that is left on your scalp/ And, left on your locks too long, it can make them brittle

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

what u do about the curliness?

show it off

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

3 weeks is really too young to see much progress actually. I have naturally curly hair and it's honestly a blessing in the end. The first month was mostly loosening up and at the second month I started to see some tightening and loops started to happen. Now that I am at 4 months my curly hair makes my dreads look more like curly hair and less like the mess that some people complain about. :)

Be assured, the curls will eventually create awesome dreads. I have some that are already rounded-out locks.

An another note, you say you are at 3 weeks and have only washed your hair twice? Try washing your hair at least 2 - 3 times each week because natural oils from the scalp can inhibit locking. Also, if you make a water bottle of sea salt spray you can spray them a couple hours before each washing and that will help lock them up too.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form