dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

dread newb, not enough dreads? help please

Amber4
@amber4
12 years ago
4 posts

okay, so im new to dreadlocks.

the first one i did, ive had for about three weeks now. i decided i liked it alot, and as i learned more about them i wanted more. I now have 7 dreadlocks on the underside of my hair. they are all only a few days old, not even a week yet. what is keeping me from doing my whole head(besides my bangs), is that i feel that my hair is too thin or i dont have enough hair.

like i previously said, i have 7 dreadlocks. if i was to do my whole head i would only have about 12 at most. my hair is very thin, and when straightened is just below my shoulder. so i was just wondering, will my dreads always be so sparse? i hear they get thicker with time. also, i dont want them to be too gappy and scalpy. i know this will fix itself overtime, but idk i just feel like i dont have enough hair and they dont look as beautiful as peoples with thick long hair. if anyone could help me i would REALLY appreciate it! i can send you a picture to if necessary. and please, dont tell me that i should be happy with my dreads that they are unique and have character. i love them and im aware of this, i just want them to be full

updated by @amber4: 02/15/15 04:09:12AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

lets see a picture but i bet u made the sectionms wayyyy tioo hig

thin hair u probly tried making the dreads tgemselves 1 inch? or 1/2 inch how dod u start them? but u probly made 2-3 inxch sections so the resulting drad was 3/4 inch they wull thincken up into gu[igantic dreads

instead what u want with thin fine haire is to allow natural sectioning a few thick..not many and alot more thin the thick give it volume the thin fill in gaos making it seem fuler

u could have 60-70 dreads with 2 or 3 about an inch 20 1/2 inch and 50 1/4 inch

how did u srart thejm lets see them but i can almost guarantee that u will want to take em out and start over if they are as big as i think

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Amber4
@amber4
12 years ago
4 posts

pictures

Rainbow Fortune
@rainbow-fortune
12 years ago
123 posts

The dreads will thicken up to about the width of the section. So, if your dreads are, say, half an inch thick now, but the section of the hair you used to make them is 3 inches, they will thicken up to about that much.

You don't want the sections to be over an inch, that will cause many troubles later.

If the sections you have now are over an inch in diameter, you should take them out and do it all over again, having the 'limitation' in mind.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I'm right with you. I have pretty thin hair. And I have 17 locks. The thing is, Many of my sections aren't under 1 inch. I have at least 3 locks with 2 inch sections. If I were to have split them into smaller locks, I could have 50 instead of 17.

If you TnR or even back comb, your locks will start off looking MUCH thinner than they will end up. So the thinness that you are seeing is probably due to that. Like Eagle said, they will thicken up over time. And if you don't want monster locks, you probably want to take them out and start over. It's easier to combine 2 locks later than it is to split a big one into 2.

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

It's hard to see how big your section are at the base but your baby dreads look pretty thick for babies... I'm thinking that the sections are too big too. I also notice your beads look like some of the ones that I use. If they are, based on the way they are pinching at your dreads, then your baby dreads are bigger than my dreads after 4 months.

When you "make" your dreads they will be a LOT thinner than they will end up being so it's good to base your desired size on the base of the section and not on the hair in the dread. Also, it doesn't hurt to start off small and congo later rather than start off too big and try to split the dreads later. Another thing to note is, a lot of people who say they have thin hair on here have had wonderful dreads as they matured.

My advice is like those who have already posted: Check the sections and start over smaller if need be.

ToTheAnkles!
@totheankles
12 years ago
102 posts
Why not just...like...Stop combing?
Amber4
@amber4
12 years ago
4 posts

thank you guys all so much<3 i sectioned them much smaller now.

& i dont want to leave my hair to neglect because its very curly and i dont believe it will become locks if i leave it, it will end up as one or two big matted sections

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Curly hair actually locks up even better with neglect. You just have to separate them to make sure they don't become one big mat. I posted a video on separating, if you're interested.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

so many people say they dont believe it will work but then never try if you tried youd be surprised by the resukts

just look at all the very curly haired natural dreads around here

hell afrrican hairs extrmely curly and dreads beautifully

its what youir hair wants to do so why not let it

Amber said:

thank you guys all so much<3 i sectioned them much smaller now.

& i dont want to leave my hair to neglect because its very curly and i dont believe it will become locks if i leave it, it will end up as one or two big matted sections

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form