Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Ideal Way/Time to Separate Locks?

SurrealLove
@surreallove
12 years ago
12 posts

I searched the forums on this subject and couldn't find the exact topic. Every time I separate my dreads, which I usually do after I wash them, I hear a lot of ripping. It doesn't feel like the hair is ripping out of the scalp, but I can see tiny white specks (broken hair follicles) all around the bases of my dreads, which are dark brown. It worries me that I'm doing it wrong, that I'm ruining my dreads, and it makes me look like I'm covered in dandruff. I've had this set of dreads for a year next month, and if I'm doing something to harm them, I'd definitely like to know now so I can stop!! Should I be separating IN the shower? Should I put anything on the roots? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

updated by @surreallove: 01/13/15 09:28:54PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

your doing it right but shouldnt pull them out from the roots you should oull more sideways then up

i hardly ever seperate now but when i sdo i do it wet and pull them sideaways usualy 1 ill pull over the top of my head so its flatt on the scalp and then pull the other 1

sometimes i just feel between them for connecting hairs and hook a finger under and oul out a few hairs at a time

your not harming the dreads by ripping hairs in between dreads only if u were breaking hairs within them or cranking the roots so they thin

the ripping sound is what u want'

but if its hard to rp that u have to pull hard enough to pull out hairs from the scalp then maybe u should do it more often so its easier and gentler

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
SurrealLove
@surreallove
12 years ago
12 posts

I am pretty sure I'm ripping them like you said... I just hate that you can see tiny specks of white. Is that never going to stop? Or is it abnormal for that to happen? I'll see if I can use a finger to pull out a few hairs at a time and see if there's any difference. Might end up with more loose hairs though.

elke.in.alaska
@elkeinalaska
12 years ago
90 posts
I dont know that that ever stops and I dont think it has anything to do with separating other than if you actually pull hair out the root will be more fleshy. But even hair that normally falls out often has a little whitish thing at the root end. I dye my hair with henna so every couple months all mine disappear ;)PS in the area up front where i tend to have more of those i carefully snip the little white part off if theyre bugging me between hennas
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

It's completely normal. Has anyone mentioned it to you? I'd bet not, because you are looking at your locks from much closer and with a keener eye than anyone around you. I have lots of frizzies around my locks and tons of those follicles popping out. They get sucked into the locks while others may pop out once in a while. You will always have some that stick out. But really, you are the only one who's going to see them

Kaleen Marie
@kaleen-marie
12 years ago
7 posts

I was just going to write something about separating too. My dreads are 3 months now and they keep knotting up at the roots (which would be good, but they are getting all tangled together). I try to separate them a lot, but for some reason they just tangle up in the roots so much so that I have to pull hairs completely out of the dreads just to separate them. It hurts, because I constantly have hairs pulling. One spot that I sleep on is getting worse and worse even thought I separate them it's like a rat's nest in one spot at the roots. Makes me want to just comb them out and start over because I think my sections are too big. They are an inch about, but I have very thick hair. I don't know what to do? Any advice? I've come so far I don't want to waist the time I already put in, but if this is going to be a constant problem? I have loose hair that's not in any dreads that is long and they always seem to get tangled up with the wrong dread. What to do? The knot is so big connecting three dreads I don't know how to untangled it without shaving my head or combing them out! Help pleeeeeeaaaaaasssssssseeeeeeee!

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

You NEVER want to see scalp between your locks. They should always be in a state of tangle at the roots. This protects your scalp from the sun. If you rip them apart all the way to your scalp you will damage your roots and can start balding. All you want to do when separating is make sure the main boy of the lock is not growing together. The rots should a little As they grow out, separate them, but, again, not all the way to the scalp.

If you sleep on one side normally, you will see faster knotting on that side. The rudding and moving around in your sleep is what helps knots form. So that is normal. Just separate if they get TOO tangled.

1 inch locks are pretty big. They'll grow into locks the thickness of quarters. If they are not maturing, you can take them out and make smaller sections if you don't want them that big.

Kaleen Marie
@kaleen-marie
12 years ago
7 posts

Thanks for the advice. So it's ok if there's hair tangled from another section at the root? It won't grow into a congo? They are fairly mature (considering they are 3 months). I combed one out that was too big and made it two and it took me a half an hour! For one! I really don't want to start over :/

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I get you. Nothing to worry about when roots start to tangle. Just keep an eye on them. If the tangle starts to work it's way up the locks and into the body, rip them apart. But they should be somewhat tangled down there

SurrealLove
@surreallove
12 years ago
12 posts

I appreciate everyone's advice, thank you. I know that I tend to be over-critical of my own dreads, and as this is the third set, I really want them to be "perfect". lol. But they aren't, and I'm accepting that they can still be beautiful. I do have one dread that for some reason, you can see the square all the way around it. Maybe in time it'll go away.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form