Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Should I start again?

Jenni Macnair
@jenni-macnair
13 years ago
21 posts

I posted a couple of days ago about lint and paddles. I decided to chop a paddle off and as i feared my dreads are full of lint. When I pulled the hair apart from the bit i chopped off its stuffed with bits of lint and it almost has a tacky/sticky feel to it. Its the same in all the loops and bumps in my dreads :( Should i just start shampooing my hair to loosen them all off and give them a good clean then start again?! I'm just sad that i've gone this far down the line to be thinking of starting over...

updated by @jenni-macnair: 02/14/15 03:35:23AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

i would not cut instead comb out if u do start over but was wax used or crappy shampoo?

lints harsd to avoid completely

you wear clothes u get lint

u pull on a shirt u get lint u sleep on sheets u get lint i would not worry bout a lil lint in them that happens but wax will make it way worse for sure (the stickiness)
lint itself will not cause any harm tho

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

try this

dont use the baking soda or this fix will be extremely temporary

spray the dreads with blachk tea..or even cofeee

the link will become the color of the hair and disapear

baking soda will strip the color tho and it will show again

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jenni Macnair
@jenni-macnair
13 years ago
21 posts

Nope been natural since day one :/ i try using tweezers to get a lot of it but its tricky. The dirty feel is what puts me off more than the lint. Maybe i should soak my hair instead of just washing it in the shower, might make it a bit cleaner.

Mary
@mary
13 years ago
140 posts

Can't you just dye them (henna, natural powder dyes) and wear a satin pillowcase for the future? Works with a lot of African Americans.

Jenni Macnair
@jenni-macnair
13 years ago
21 posts

Thanks S.E! Good idea Mary, i think if i dye them it will at least get rid of half the problem :D

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
13 years ago
2,702 posts

I don't know, the fact that you even mentioned "sticky" worries me. So you did the natural method, cool. good. But tacky/sticky sounds like it might, might be a mildew problem. I'm sure you'd have noticed a smell, but maybe they only smell when their wet. Have you ever noticed that? Don't be ashamed if you did. We're all here to help you. There aredefinitelyways to fix that problem.

The tea might work, but before you try that, I'd try seeing if they smell at all. If you put the tea on, all you'll smell is tea when you wash them

Jenni Macnair
@jenni-macnair
12 years ago
21 posts

Hmm iv never noticed a smell when iv washed them but yesterday i was getting tweezers into a paddle and i sniffed it and it didn't smell like roses. It wasn't awful but I haven't noticed this smell before? :/

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
12 years ago
667 posts

What are you washing with? How often are you washing? Do you go to sleep with wet hair? Do you put wet hair up or into a tam?

Jenni Macnair
@jenni-macnair
12 years ago
21 posts

For the first year and a bit i used BS, ACV and oils but my hair colour was looking very faded so my sister bought me knotty dread shampoo but i only used it for a few months because it made my hair really greasy and more recently i started using dr bronners peppermint soap. I wash my hair once a week. I put it up in a towel after washing for a bit then let it air dry. I live in the highlands in scotland so not much sun here to let it dry in any natural heat and if i need to go to work il give it a run over with a hairdryer then i have to put it up. Usually though il wash it on a day off so i can leave it to dry all day. Its only the ends of my dreads that im having problems with though, (except not sure if its relevant but i do have problems with dandruff and my scalp occasionally gets itchy ?! ).

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form