dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

crochet method....help!

Prue Dence
@prue-dence
13 years ago
11 posts

greetings fellow dreadies,

i have had my dreads for about three months now and i think they are really coming along quite nicely and look really mature for their age. i got someone else to do my dreads and they used the twist and rip method and then crocheted them for solidness. i've had two crochet maintenance sessions since then that have both been several hours. now that i'm on here, i see everyone saying crochet is bad! i researched a lot about dreads and techniques before i got mine because i've wanted them for years and wanted to do it right the first time! what i read on here about crochet method though, especially from soaring eagle, all seems to relate to my poor little babies.

i have about 35 dreads (even though i thought i'd get at least 45 from the thickness of my hair) and they all have quite large sections. my sectioning is called an "s" method and is quite unique and i really like it, but the sections really are maybe too big. what soaring eagle said about crocheting resulting in the dread being thinner at the end has happened. i also have tails on every dread though, which i really love, but the dreads do thin out at the ends. i was told that the crocheting wouldn't break my hair and that if it did i would hear it and that basically it's the easiest maintenance technique.

i'd just like to know what some other techniques are for maintenance and to stop frizz because crocheting gets rid of frizz straight away. also maybe some techniques for fattening up my little babies. i've been told wrapping cotton around some will fatten them up.

any thoughts would be much appreciated!

love prue

updated by @prue-dence: 02/14/15 04:46:29AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

ok

crochet causes the cfrizz it fixes it does break tons of hairs

just stop it and see they hget extra fuzzy b4 thry "heal" you dont want to ever do anything about the frizz exceopt ignore it..its only noticible to you anyway

wrapping cotton? thats silly

juat leave them alone

stop everythung your doing except washing and seperating and give them a good 6 months or longer to recover then they will begin to dread right and then they will thicken up..u may want to ciondition the hell oyutta them to soften and loosen them so they start to dread siooner

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Prue Dence
@prue-dence
13 years ago
11 posts

i was told conditioning is no good because it leaves residue! jeez i wish i found this site three months ago....

the people that did my dreads both have had theirs for years and they looked in really good condition and they crochet them! don't know what to believe...

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

well not conditioners use ji=ojoba oil or aloe vera (pure) something that conditions without residues

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

they "look" in good condition

look at that dude skillteachers wifes dreads and they "look" nice if u ignore all the exposed scalp

but he tugs on 1 ..lighteky..and it breaks right off

the damage is inside u cant see it crochetr makes them look neat..almost too neat ..fake..perfect without a single feature a organic dread woukd have..texture lun=mps ..individuality

think about it..to keep them looking htat way they have to poke thousands of holes in them every 2 months or so

year after year

how stri=ong can they be?

Prue Dence said:

i was told conditioning is no good because it leaves residue! jeez i wish i found this site three months ago....

the people that did my dreads both have had theirs for years and they looked in really good condition and they crochet them! don't know what to believe...

--
Prue Dence
@prue-dence
13 years ago
11 posts
Thanks, that's really helpful. Also with my job i can't really leave them to form via neglect method. i like them looking all neat and tidy. i suppose time will tell. i just found that crocheting encourages and quickens the knots in the dread but you both have valid points, i suppose it's ultimately a personal thing.

Namaste/Havok said:

I personally have a friend who is the reason i wanted dreads, they are absolutely amazing! and she crochets them. not constantly but she does and they aren't fuzzy they don't look weaved there beautiful. I guess when she tells me that crocheting works for her i will take her opinion becuase she has experience in that. Your friend's have experience with the crochet then maybe ask them. they know what there talking about because they live it with there hair everyday. Nothing is more valuable than experience!

Take SE he has a wealth of knowledge in neglect method dreads. that is something that has to be learned also.

there is a while area on here about maintenance it will mostly tell you to leave everything alone, that seems to be the general concession on this site. Uhh i would maybe look around ask around and see what is easy for you. there your dread babies and your adventure have fun with it!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

encouragesand quickens the knots? actualy it does the oposite it forces a super natural tight weave that leaves no room for movement that aloews knotting..it takes about 6 months to recover before they begin to knot properly

and yea in your job you can too go neglect..any job that alows dreads will alow dreads

any job that will not alow dreads has to alow neglect dreads

only neglect dreads can be legaly deffended in court

if they would dare to tell you your not alowed to dread then by maintaining them you screw yourself out of your 1 possible deffence.

you cannot point out religios texts that say b=no mete]al shal touch the hair of the head while also saying you will tidy them up by poking holes in them with metal

just saying...

but..squeeze your dread

does it feel spongy soft pillow like

or

is it hard

feels "squeeky" like broken hairs grinding on eachi[other?

take the dread

rub it on your cheek

does it feel soft cottony (but maybe firm) or does it feel scratchy like velcro coverd in tiny spiky lil broken hairs

now take a thicker dread

yank on it

hear any tearing or ripping?

(dont do it too hard if youve done alot of crochert)

havok may doubt my experience with crochetted dreads cause i never crochetted but lets not forget how many members here had and how many experienced the harm 1st hand

yea some ppl do go on years without realizuing how harmful it is

but because they dont realize the harm makes them experienced? i think not

besidesyou only need to see 1 dread that shouldnt break without over 1000 pounds of pressure break with less then 1 pound of pressure to realize how harmful it is

last year we had 1 guy who crocheted a good bit

he dove into a pool.. 4 dreads broke from the impact with the water

granted it was a high dive..5 foot high..maybe 8..

but still..it was water..just water that broke off 4 whole dreads

how much experience ya need to figyure out that perforating a dreads going to weaken it?

just talkes thought thats all

a harmles..or low harm alernative would be obsessive palm rolling

still causes friction damage but not the severe harm crochet causes

Prue Dence said:

Thanks, that's really helpful. Also with my job i can't really leave them to form via neglect method. i like them looking all neat and tidy. i suppose time will tell. i just found that crocheting encourages and quickens the knots in the dread but you both have valid points, i suppose it's ultimately a personal thing.

Namaste/Havok said:

I personally have a friend who is the reason i wanted dreads, they are absolutely amazing! and she crochets them. not constantly but she does and they aren't fuzzy they don't look weaved there beautiful. I guess when she tells me that crocheting works for her i will take her opinion becuase she has experience in that. Your friend's have experience with the crochet then maybe ask them. they know what there talking about because they live it with there hair everyday. Nothing is more valuable than experience!

Take SE he has a wealth of knowledge in neglect method dreads. that is something that has to be learned also.

there is a while area on here about maintenance it will mostly tell you to leave everything alone, that seems to be the general concession on this site. Uhh i would maybe look around ask around and see what is easy for you. there your dread babies and your adventure have fun with it!

--
G.O.A hippie
@goa-hippie
13 years ago
7 posts
yes i do believe SE..... cuz i stard off by crocheting nd they do feel quite pokey nd rough....i think the crochet method is very dammaging...so now im just gonna let it grow they way it wants to.....and ive also noticedfrequently crocheted dreads dont seem to look mature at all!....i mean thats wat i think..
Prue Dence
@prue-dence
13 years ago
11 posts
Yeah, after reading SE's side i do agree but it's still personal choice and there are a hell of a lot of people out there that crochet and still have awesome looking dreads! i spose it's the same as the bad things everyone does...smoking, eating bad food, etc. we'll all end up in the same place in the end, its just personal preference how you get there. but i will stop the crocheting now and let my hair do what it wants. if they get a bit out of control that's what a nice big scarf is for! thanks for all your help everyone :)

G.O.A hippie said:
yes i do believe SE..... cuz i stard off by crocheting nd they do feel quite pokey nd rough....i think the crochet method is very dammaging...so now im just gonna let it grow they way it wants to.....and ive also noticedfrequently crocheted dreads dont seem to look mature at all!....i mean thats wat i think..
G.O.A hippie
@goa-hippie
13 years ago
7 posts

cheerz..

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form