Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dreads & SHINGLES. Help.

Brannan
@brannan
13 years ago
6 posts
:( I've got shingles all over my scalp. To catch you up to where I'm at- I've had dreads for 3 years. In that time, I've had 2 babies, which has seriously gotten in the way of maintenance. I've got a loose hair, loose roots (they don't grow in locked at all..takes lots of work) mess..and now shingles, which will leave me not being able to do anything for a couple weeks or so.

This is on top of me cutting off the length to about my shoulders so it wouldn't be in the baby's face. I miss the length.

I'm super frustrated and overwhelmed with the mess and wondering if I should just cut them off and start over. Whaddya think?

updated by @brannan: 02/14/15 06:15:24AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

umm ofcourse they will grow in dreaded u got to leave em alone

the shingles i dunno about thats somrthinmg to talk to a dr or naturapath about

are u sure its shingles not something like cradle cap?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dan B
@dan-b
13 years ago
58 posts
Firstly relax! Not a problem. Firstly go get treatment asap. Then follow it until shingles have gone.Then learn to just leave the hair alone. It will take some time to dread up on it's own again but it will do it eventually. No maintenance required at all. Roots will then grow fine and dreaded.Cutting them won't make any difference. So may as well keep em.I work in the Heath care system and I can assure you the faster you act the quicker you'll be back to normal life.For useful info on shingles of the scalp and shingles in general http://www.everydayhealth.com/shingles/scalp-problems.aspx Keep us posted yea were all thinking of youXxx
Brannan
@brannan
13 years ago
6 posts
Well I did get a diagnosis and prescription..a little freaked out that I'm still gonna need something topical, but I'll do herbal teas, etc, before a nasty cream.As for leaving them alone..that's basically what I have done. I have done root rubbing maybe a handful of times over the last three years and backcombed some huuuge patches of loose hair into new dreads. That's it. I still have big sections of hair that is just as smooth as if I'd conditioned and brushed it every day. It's like my son's hair- we let it go neglect for almost a year. The back was all dreaded and the top was silky smooth, not even a tangle. Will some hair just *not* lock?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

if its oily if u run fingers throug or otherwise mess with it

what do u wash with

the hair iu backcombed would have only needed another inch then it would dread

thats the only other thing besides oiliness and finger combing that will prevent dreading is if its too short

some will dread slower then others tho

and if u use standard shampoos that will do it too

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Brannan
@brannan
13 years ago
6 posts
I only use diluted bronners. Doesn't seem oily. They were just a few inches long when I started, grew to mid back..now they are shoulder length (cut them recently). The loose hairs may or may not stay if I comb them. Some do and some don't. The roots won't lock til 3 in or more if I leave them..1-2 if I rub them.Sorry if I sound whiny at all..really feeling crappy and frustrated. You guys rock!
Rachel Guthrie
@rachel-guthrie
13 years ago
36 posts
All I have to say is get well soon! I had shingles before on my stomach, and it was unbearable, I wouldn't even know what to do if it was on my scalp. Best wishes! :)
Brannan
@brannan
13 years ago
6 posts
<3
Brannan
@brannan
13 years ago
6 posts

Day 2 of the shingles meds...Learned I can put a chamomile tea on the affected area, so I'm gonna give that a shot.

I'm feeling less panicky about my locks. I can see how rubbing might cause/have caused damage, so I'll back off of that (what little I have done) and see what happens. I'm thinking about finding someone to pull the loose hairs in for me, though, after the shingles heal, just cos it kindof drives me nuts. We'll see tho, since that tends to be expensive and hard to find.

I'm still not sure why the loose hairs haven't locked on their own. It's annoying...but I'm not ready to give up on them over it.

UUURP
@uuurp
13 years ago
20 posts
Cutting them off is a personal choice. Why not treat the shingles and give it some more time. Its not uncommon to doubt the progress in ways that they grow in from time to time, sounds like u are in one of those stages
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form