Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

1 year and still no dreads

Dee Dee
@dee-dee
14 years ago
51 posts
Put a wool sweater on your pillow or get aa wool hat thats large. Enough to put your hair in and have enough room to move around, we have some great crafters on this site, you could order a wool taam from one of them.
updated by @dee-dee: 07/20/15 02:09:53AM
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts

Okay, I think you got the "leave it alone"...atleast I hope so! Lol Now, get yourself a wool, yes wool, tam and wear it. Wear the tam as much as you can. You may also want to buy an old wool sweater and cover your pillow in it and sleep on that when you don't have a tam on. Then, I think you should start using BS (Baking soda) to cleanse instead of your body wash. I have very stubborn hair that refused to start knotting until I was between my 4 and 5 month but the BS helped immensly. Basically put a half cup to a cup of BS in a pail of water and mix. Pour this over your head and let it sit for awhile...rinse. Then, be sure to follow this with an equal amount (1/2 cup to one cup of Apple Cider Vinegar) of ACV mixed into a pail of water. Pour this over your head and then rinse. This is a great recipe to cleanse your hair, which you should be doing more..not less. Dirty hair does not dread...clean hair does. I shampoo atleast 3 times a week. If I can dread, anyone can dread...trust me. I have been on this site for 6 mos. and the biggest problem that I have seen is people who try to MAKE dreads. You can not make dreads. And people spend alot of time and energy trying to do so without success. You have already spent a year, so as hard as it is try to open your mind and heart to do what is recommended here. I have had a few friends here that abandoned their journey because they just could not accept the notion of leaving the hair to do what it will do. They kept manipulating the hair thinking that they would force something that can not be forced. I am not a patient person but for that very reason (amoung others) I decided to test myself by embarking on something that required just that...dreads. I wish you peace in this process. Jeannie Pitt said:

I'm sensing a common theme here. :) Done. No more messing with them.

Ok though. Recommendations on a hat or bandana or something? Or should I avoid that...

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

the hair looks pretty damaged from all the backcombing

now let mje explain something

u backcombed at least once a month

backcombing tendss to fall apaett the 1st 1-3 months

then it dreads

u8 never let it get to the point where it dreads

now sea salt sprays will help alot (dont overso it either)

switch to the baking soda wash 2 times a week

spray the scalp with thyme tea (makes it less oily slowly)

leave the thyme tea on all week

when u wash hot wash cold rinse (cold seals up the pores so no more oil escaping)

sea salt on the hair not scalp dries it so it lcks faster

wool helps too

but not backcombing or messing with them at all helps the most

beads

take a thread

make a loop

put the loop through the bead

catch the wetted (wet so it makes a point) dread tip in the loop

use the loop to pull the tip of the dread thriough the bead

force the bead up till it sticks..if it sticks near the tip thats best

that will ghold em in shape and act like a knot causing lil looping and will encourage moree dreading

altho wearing a wool tam helps they do need time to be free to be shaken in a breeze and fly around and move

so let em loose sometimes too

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Crystal2
@crystal2
14 years ago
24 posts

I agree with switching to BS. I had my dread for over a year before I switched and as soon as I did I started to see major progress. Shrinkage and tightening and all that. What you are using now may be hindering your dreads from locking, that was the case with mine. Maybe you should even try a deep cleans to get any possible build up out of your hair. That really helped kick start the progress for mine.

Jeannie Pitt
@jeannie-pitt
14 years ago
23 posts

You guys are all amazing for taking your time to share this info with me. I have hope!!!

Looking into getting a wool tam, will be getting baking soda shortly, have the apple cider vinegar and have the notion that I'll be leaving it alone otherwise. I think we're good!

Possibly the point that shouted the loudest for me is 'you can't make dreads.' Now I get it. Thanks again guys. Much love and peace to all of you! I'll update on my progress. :)

Aaron"TheLegend"
@aaronthelegend
14 years ago
283 posts
Why would you keep backcombing is what I want to know lol?I TnR like...3 times. Once just to try it out (washed my hair), when my hair got longer I did it again and left it.....but the dandruff got so bad I washed my hair with Head and shoulders 2 in 1 (it had conditioner in it). I started over and this time I've had them for 4 months. Most of the TnR stayed the back has a lot of loose hair but it's getting all curly like a pigs tail.Now I wash like......every 2-4 days and I just wear my Tam everywhere, bed, after my hair dries from the shower, to school. Also I rinse with BS like...3 times a month just to get the Nature Gates Tea tree shampoo residue outta my hair.Should take a look at my "4 month" photos....dreading slowly...but they are coming along.
Jeannie Pitt
@jeannie-pitt
14 years ago
23 posts

Just for fun... this pic is today...the exact same day I took pictures above. I just finished with the baking soda and apple cider vinegar deal...and put a few beads in!! I'm really excited about that part.

Since you all know that you know what you're talking about, this is maybe just so you can be excited with me and for anyone who follows who's having the same trouble as me. Picture is how my hair is already responding to the treatment.

One in particular, that I'm holding up, is already seeming to lock. Blessings to you all for helping me so quickly. I feel 100% better than I did this morning.

updated by @jeannie-pitt: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

that makes me smile

1 day here and u got more progresss then a years worth of effort and advice from other sites

haha im grinnin

ok the grins turnin into giggles

ya know what

im thinking of adding a new section to the forums..

saved dreads success stories

yea im gonna do that right under the save my dreads section

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Crystal2
@crystal2
14 years ago
24 posts

Yay! That's great! The BS was a like magic for me. You will probably start seeing progress every time you wash, I did. I also wanted to mention that I would be careful with how much ACV you use, it makes my hair REALLY soft. I only use a splash of it to a few cups of water and I try to keep it mainly on my scalp otherwise it makes my hair really silky, which I dont want right now! I also only use a few TBSP of BS, any more then that and my scalp freaks out. You will figure out what works for you though. Enjoy the transformation!

Jeannie Pitt
@jeannie-pitt
14 years ago
23 posts

Thanks for the tips Crystal. I have a really, REALLY dry scalp anyway and have had since way before I started this. I used half cup of each BS and ACV in my son's plastic bureau drawer lol...didn't have a bucket! So I'm not sure if less or more will help the scalp while still maintaining progress. I guess we'll see!

/ 5

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form