Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

New to dreads, read alot mine look hopeless (To me) and feel down about it.

Yuzanaki
@yuzanaki
8 years ago
3 posts

Hi, I'm new to dreads and just had my done at a salon (Which I'm starting to regret) they did the back comb and twist method it's been two weeks and they feel like they're falling apart, not knotting well and generally feel like they're just twisted hair held with wax, they felt like thin candles until I took a hair dryer and some paper towels to get some of it out. I've been palm rolling every morning after waking up and wearing a dread cap (Loose hat I might add) to keep them clean, but I feel like my early journey has already begun and doomed to fail, I'm just wondering if anyone can shed some light on these, should I continue and ride it out and continue going to the salon, or pull them out? They initially used beeswax but I swapped to knottyboy, I haven't washed them yet when I ask for advise all they tell me is patience and lots of wax, I'm more than happy to be patient but don't want my potential dreads to be ruined so early on. I've attached some pictures, I also have some dreadlock shampoo bar but havent yet used it. I haven't palm rolled them today yet.

I don't know much about dreads and put my faith in the salon which from what I've read seems to of been a bad decision, is my hair expected to be this way after 2 weeks or am I wasting my time? If they're bad are they salvageable? I feel like I should wash them, get some of the wash out leave the roots cause they're kinda knottty and twist and rip the rest of the hair.

image4.JPG.jpg
image4.JPG.jpg  •  1.7MB

image3.JPG.jpg
image3.JPG.jpg  •  2.4MB

image2.JPG.jpg
image2.JPG.jpg  •  1.7MB

image1.JPG.jpg
image1.JPG.jpg  •  1.8MB

updated by @yuzanaki: 02/03/18 03:29:05PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

well, everything that salons doing and telling you is wrong, the sections are huge.. wax is a scam

the salon did a horrible job even for waxy salon dreads dreads they look bad

there are like hundreds or thousands of pages on here to read through on how bad wax is..tens of thousands? npt sure

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Yuzanaki
@yuzanaki
8 years ago
3 posts

Does this mean there is no hope left for my hair? I've been doing everything I can for 2 weeks to help the process but judging by what these look like I'm extremely displeased with them to me they don't even resemble dreadlocks in anyway shape or form. I don't fancy shaving and started the entire process again I've got knottyboy dreadlock shampoo residue free at hand.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

well the shampoos not going to harm you though we recommend boycotting them till they stop pushing wax

you will need wax b gone to get the wax out

their shampoo is way more recommended too ( www.dreadlockshampoo.com )

btw dreads looking like dreads in 2 weeks isn't the way to think...

if left alone to dread naturally you could have dreads .. a dread or 2 starting to form in a couple weeks, if you got instant dreads at a salon, the actual dreading takes much much longer

--
Yuzanaki
@yuzanaki
8 years ago
3 posts

No of course I'm not expecting instant dreads, just that I know they're going in the right direction and will eventually lock, which I pretty much knew these ones weren't. What steps should I take in order to get back on track, get the wax out and then what do I do?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

your choice, the 1 i took and recommend (many do here) let it section and dread itself

now being that your hairs barely 6 inches right? and pretty straight, it might not be too quick to see 1st dreads

if its 6 or more you might see dreads sooner then expected

or.. you can section smaller (you got what 15?) try for 30+

only under 30 if u want thick..

or let it section itself but, none over 1 inch square (well size not shape) then tnr

you can twist and rip at any time

or 1 at a time

or wait and see what they do

i don't think those would even need to be combed out, just remove the wax wash the sections i don't think will hold together if they do somewhat try to gently if u can pull each apart into 4 or  so

or brush out resection and twist n rip

just no wax and crap

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

dreadlocks dont need dread wax to look amazing this was the end result of going camping in the wilderness for a couple weeks (same place I'm going next week 26 years later (18 in the photo))

just let it happen

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

well..i wouldn't say "use whatever method you want at that point"

don't make another mistake on top of the 1st 1 use natural, or twist and rip

if you must, backcomb

but don't use crochet or anything else

--
3_little_birds2316
@carolbrennan
8 years ago
60 posts

What I can say is it sounds like you already have your decision.  You don't seem too thrilled with the results from the salon which is unfortunate.

I think you will be much happier if you drop the wax, Comb out the dreads they put in and allow natural sectioning.  

Hope you get your answer.  I await the update.

--
Livin' wild and free in NC

Follow my dreadlock journey on instagram: @3_little_birds2316
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form