Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Baby dread help

Bethany Saavedra
@bethany-saavedra
10 years ago
3 posts
I have had my dreads for a month now and they have locked up very well. I'm having a few issues with their appearance however. I have very thin and very fine frizzy hair normally. Due to the thin/fine nature of my hair I only have 23 dreads and they are only about pencil width at the moment. I have very large visible gaps between the sections at the top back of my head. They were made using a backcomb crochet hook method and no products. I tried the twist and rip method originally but my hair would not hold the knots what so ever. Is there anything I can do to fix the bald look on the back of my head? They are not very tight at the scalp either. I know they will fatten up over time and I really wish I had enough hair to have twice this many dreads at least. When I have them down they don't overlap at all. It really looks awful so I am forced to wear them up anytime I leave my house. Would it help if I were to brush out the 5 or 6 dreads that are making me look bald and dread them in a different way?
updated by @bethany-saavedra: 01/13/15 10:06:13PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

crochet was a huuuge mistake

usay they are dreading up nicely but yiur very wrong that crochet will prevent them from even begining to dread fir about 6 months and take about 3 years to recover from

those sections are huge

that 1 attop should be about 4 dreads

crochet makes then too tight to dread makes them too stiff to move and the results are super thin dreads and sections 3-5 times largewr then the dread giving u that gappy look that will take a long time to recover and when they do..3 or so years from now they will be really fat

twist and rip didnt need to hold

you never had to tnr at all

have you ever combed a knot out of your hair

have you ever had a tangle after a windy day

those were dreads in the making and then u combed them out ..a dread abortion

if tnr falls out..let it.. and wait a lil while washing with something dread freindly and it will dread

yes id absoluteky take out the thick ones

rule of thumb base the dread size by the section size at the scalp

that top 1 looks about wrist sized

at least double the max uwant

i know you might not want to consider this but its probably best to start over

its not nesacary or the only option but is the best option

u can condition to loosen them soften them up and speed recovery use jojoba

u can comb out the huge ones ..any bigger then 1 inch uin fact if your hairs thin i strongly recomenfd u alow it to section itself

u waht thin and thick

like 1 or 2..maybe 3 in the 3/4-1 in range

a couple dozen in the 1/2 in range and a couple dozen in the 1/4 in range the thick few add "body" or volume the medium add fullness the thin fill in gaps giving the illusion of more hair a thicker filler mane

at the very least undo the big few makethem into 3 or 4 each ..but dont dare touch a crochet hook to your hair ever again

take that hook

break it

melt it down

burry it

find a witch to caste a spell on the grave sealing it so its evil can never infect your life again

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Bethany Saavedra
@bethany-saavedra
10 years ago
3 posts
Thank you so much for the advice. I can't/won't do the natural dread forming. I can't stand my hair in my face at all and would end up wearing it in a hair tie all the time ending up with one big ponytail dread. I also don't know how I would get 3 or 4 dreads out of one of the skinny ones that I have. If I were to pull all of my hair together before dreads it would only be the width of a nickel. It is VERY fine and VERY VERY thin. Any suggestions other than natural forming dreads? I understand that is the best way to go but to is not something I can do. No more crochet hook for me though.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

tnr

and yes they will be very thin tik they get very thick

a dread can start off thinner then a pencil and end up thicker then a wrist

when u pull all your hair into a pony tail in a elastic band that pony tail at the bands thinner then an average single dread and thats every hair on your head

so a tnr dread can start off very thin and still get fairly thick in the end

those are in the back of your head they wont be in your face and the back will dread fastest naturally

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Bethany Saavedra
@bethany-saavedra
10 years ago
3 posts
Thanks again. I will be brushing those out ASAP.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form