Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Nature and dreadlocks

Apollo
@apollo
15 years ago
80 posts
SC i really regret how i made my dreadlocks backcombing....i should have just left my hair in its own state...my friend always tells people there is no real way to make dreadlocks soaringeagle said:
multiple purposes
religions tend to belikeve the hand of god will rake the earth on judgment day and the dreads of thge rightous will tangle in his fingers and be lifted to the promiced land
socialy it sets you apart from mindless conformists
emotionaly it gives you courage to face descrimination and insults
it also sets yiu free from the mundane vanity
it alows you to be free of the daily grooming rituals while still always looking your best
it guides you towards seeking wisdom and understranding of natrure and it in a way is a direct path to your truesrt self

also all lifes experiences are recorded in your hair, cutting the hair seveers ties to those experiences, having the hair bound up in matts all experiences become interconnected so your understrandingf of the intertwining relationships between all things all experiences leads towards wisdom

Fiend Jester said:
Hmm, that was really philosophical. Really deep stuff.
I was just wondering why it happens, not why we choose to do it. I was just curious as to what the purpose of the adaptation in the human race was.

soaringeagle said:
thats exactly whhat i always say..
and jester..
we have dreads because we are natural humans living as close to our natural way as possible..
dreads are the natural state of hair its whats nmeant to be when you stop all unnatural processes, thats why tio me unnatural processes like backcombing and crochet make no sence tro me for making what nature creates naturaly

(and beautifuly)

updated by @apollo: 07/23/15 05:00:26PM
Iain
@iain
15 years ago
844 posts
your locks were still beautiful though,there's no shame in that.They still meant alot to you, that was what counted.I guarantee if they were 3years natural and it came time for you to cut at that same point in time, it wouldn't of been any easier.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
i hear that alot actualy..good news is you can go natural next time round Apollo said:
If i can go back in time i would have just not comb at all i regret the backcombing

Vaccine said:
im starting to think that i rather have just did my locks naturally cause its starting to seem kinda weird to me now emotionally. lol. idk what it is.
i love my hair as it is now, but i had a spot of some hair that wasn't backcombed and it started to dread up naturally so i have an all natural lock on my head. :P
i've had some pretty chill people ask me what they should do to get them and i told em just to throw away the conditioner and comb and see what happens. :D

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Apollo
@apollo
15 years ago
80 posts
yeah..but backcombing is not natural!! its a method that has been used on dreadlocks for not even 20 years. I just feel that the backcombing method is not the way to go and i made a mistake there, i regret soo much AliveAsTheDead said:
I don't see why you should trip on back combing if you did it.... I mean, were your dreads all completely uniform and fake looking? I'm sure they weren't, cuz I know mine sure as hell aren't. I'm not sure how long your hair was when you started, but my hair was about 3-3.5 inches when I did. Imagine how much of my hair is the actually combed part, and think about how much of yours was. Sure, we all know the back combing isn't necessary, but it doesn't automatically discredit your locks if you did it this way. And you should never let anyone tell you otherwise. If anything, your attitude shouldn't be that you wish the old ones were formed all natural, it should be that if you ever dread again, the new ones will be.
Apollo
@apollo
15 years ago
80 posts
SC isnt backcombing damaging to the hair???? soaringeagle said:
i hear that alot actualy..good news is you can go natural next time round

Apollo said:
If i can go back in time i would have just not comb at all i regret the backcombing

Vaccine said:
im starting to think that i rather have just did my locks naturally cause its starting to seem kinda weird to me now emotionally. lol. idk what it is.
i love my hair as it is now, but i had a spot of some hair that wasn't backcombed and it started to dread up naturally so i have an all natural lock on my head. :P
i've had some pretty chill people ask me what they should do to get them and i told em just to throw away the conditioner and comb and see what happens. :D
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
yup the hair shaft is covered in tiny scale like cuticles, combing smootes tem down, but backcombing tears tem up, giving the hair saft a barbed texture whichh helps hairs cling to eachhoter..but this exposes the weaker brittle saft underneathh..and once damage is done there is no way to repair it..plus..alot of hairs ripped right out at te roots or broken completely Apollo said:
SC isnt backcombing damaging to the hair????

soaringeagle said:

Apollo said:

Vaccine said:

--
Apollo
@apollo
15 years ago
80 posts
I knew it i knew something was not right about it...thanks i needed that soaringeagle said:
yup the hair shaft is covered in tiny scale like cuticles, combing smootes tem down, but backcombing tears tem up, giving the hair saft a barbed texture whichh helps hairs cling to eachhoter..but this exposes the weaker brittle saft underneathh..and once damage is done there is no way to repair it..plus..alot of hairs ripped right out at te roots or broken completely

Apollo said:
SC isnt backcombing damaging to the hair????

soaringeagle said:

Apollo said:

Vaccine said:
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
typicalyt that appens when u get help...they cant feel your pain so are extra aggressive AliveAsTheDead said:
I'm not gonna deny that back combing can be physically damaging to the hair....but you can't ignore the fact that back combing is only done once, therefore, only the part you combed in the first place is "unnatural"...

PS....I never ripped any hairs off of my scalp when I did it....there's no certain amount of force you need to back comb...anyone who ripped their hair from the scalp obviously was too rough

--
Apollo
@apollo
15 years ago
80 posts
Okey first of all you dont know me..so dont say shit you dont knowsecond of all i knew alot before this site..this site just helped me clear some of my facts AliveAsTheDead said:
I already said it's not necessary....and it's just plain silly to dwell on dreads you cut already and kept for years....I have a feeling you werent so bothered by them until this site

Apollo said:
yeah..but backcombing is not natural!! its a method that has been used on dreadlocks for not even 20 years. I just feel that the backcombing method is not the way to go and i made a mistake there, i regret soo much

AliveAsTheDead said:
I don't see why you should trip on back combing if you did it.... I mean, were your dreads all completely uniform and fake looking? I'm sure they weren't, cuz I know mine sure as hell aren't. I'm not sure how long your hair was when you started, but my hair was about 3-3.5 inches when I did. Imagine how much of my hair is the actually combed part, and think about how much of yours was. Sure, we all know the back combing isn't necessary, but it doesn't automatically discredit your locks if you did it this way. And you should never let anyone tell you otherwise. If anything, your attitude shouldn't be that you wish the old ones were formed all natural, it should be that if you ever dread again, the new ones will be.
Apollo
@apollo
15 years ago
80 posts
it does damageive been reading about iti dont want anyone falling for it AliveAsTheDead said:
I'm not gonna deny that back combing can be physically damaging to the hair....but you can't ignore the fact that back combing is only done once, therefore, only the part you combed in the first place is "unnatural"...

PS....I never ripped any hairs off of my scalp when I did it....there's no certain amount of force you need to back comb...anyone who ripped their hair from the scalp obviously was too rough

/ 5

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form