Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

The pressure to shave...for men.

KnotLady
@knotlady
11 years ago
300 posts

So we have recently discussed veiws on women not shaving, but no one really discussed how men feel pressured to shave. my husbands mother is convinced men with big beards are 'nasty' and calls it 'ball hair'. i personally think beards are nice and distinctive and frame the face well. but it seems society is driving towards everyone looking like theyre twelve. ive heard men complain about their chest hair, and im kinda like...but God put it there ( my opinion). i think men face nearly the same amount of pressure to conform to societal norms like shaving. so dudes, wheres the word? do yall feel pressured to shave too?

updated by @knotlady: 11/11/15 09:56:50PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

feel it no..but its there i just dont let that sorta pressure affect me

i remember years ago at a prty this drunk chick says to me god your handsome ..but that beards got to go id go out with you if you would just lose the beard

1st off thats a real turn off when approached like hat not knowing a th9ing about your personality just looks

but my responce was well thats ok i wouldnt go out with anyone that asked me to shave it off

i think people should just be able to be any way that they are cnfy with

anyway the point is yea ppl have said i should shave..even tried convincing me to

but i dont feel any pressure from them they are just being who they are..as i am being who i am

conformity is camouflage for those afraid to show thier true selves to the world

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
NaturalDreads01
@naturaldreads01
11 years ago
170 posts

I get a lot of crap about my beard, but then again it isn't every day you see a high school student with a full out beard that is almost an inch and a half in length(if not a bit longer). Yeah I actually have one of the counselors give me crap about it every time he sees me. Honestly, it is usually the adults at my school who give me crap about it. The main way I get crap about it from the students is the fact that more people know me/call me by the name "Jesus" instead of my actual name. I used to feel pressured to trim some of my body hair, but haven't since i started growing my locks actually lol.. I think it is stupid that anyone should be expected to shave. Another bad thing about this is that if I want to keep my beard, that automatically keeps me from getting certain jobs at my age, which really kinda sucks lol. :P

KnotLady
@knotlady
11 years ago
300 posts

the whole job thing gets me heated. how is facial hair less professional? if theres food involved, get one of those beard nets. they make them. my husband shaved to try ot get a job, but his shaving didnt improve the economy lol so it didnt really help. i think people should be able to look however. its actions not looks which denote professionalism and courtesy. i feel if you conduct yourself well, then people will hopefully be able to be acccepting, in jobs and in general.

NaturalDreads01 said:

I get a lot of crap about my beard, but then again it isn't every day you see a high school student with a full out beard that is almost an inch and a half in length(if not a bit longer). Yeah I actually have one of the counselors give me crap about it every time he sees me. Honestly, it is usually the adults at my school who give me crap about it. The main way I get crap about it from the students is the fact that more people know me/call me by the name "Jesus" instead of my actual name. I used to feel pressured to trim some of my body hair, but haven't since i started growing my locks actually lol.. I think it is stupid that anyone should be expected to shave. Another bad thing about this is that if I want to keep my beard, that automatically keeps me from getting certain jobs at my age, which really kinda sucks lol. :P

KnotLady
@knotlady
11 years ago
300 posts

i didnt figure you felt the pressure SE lol. what you said about conformity is dead on. the look in people eyes when they see my hair is very much akin to fear or awe. kinda like when you run up on an unsuspecting animal in the woods lol.

soaring eagle said:

feel it no..but its there i just dont let that sorta pressure affect me

i remember years ago at a prty this drunk chick says to me god your handsome ..but that beards got to go id go out with you if you would just lose the beard

1st off thats a real turn off when approached like hat not knowing a th9ing about your personality just looks

but my responce was well thats ok i wouldnt go out with anyone that asked me to shave it off

i think people should just be able to be any way that they are cnfy with

anyway the point is yea ppl have said i should shave..even tried convincing me to

but i dont feel any pressure from them they are just being who they are..as i am being who i am

conformity is camouflage for those afraid to show thier true selves to the world

NaturalDreads01
@naturaldreads01
11 years ago
170 posts

yeah.. it really sucks.. but it is what it is i guess.. the system is screwed lol. Luckily I like crocheting. so I have had people who have wanted to buy some of my stuff.. So I guess that is one way for me to get money lol.

KnotLady said:

the whole job thing gets me heated. how is facial hair less professional? if theres food involved, get one of those beard nets. they make them. my husband shaved to try ot get a job, but his shaving didnt improve the economy lol so it didnt really help. i think people should be able to look however. its actions not looks which denote professionalism and courtesy. i feel if you conduct yourself well, then people will hopefully be able to be acccepting, in jobs and in general.

KnotLady
@knotlady
11 years ago
300 posts

there you go. make your own way! thats our goal! im not gonna be a part of the rat race. because thats exactly what it is.

Tim5
@tim5
11 years ago
359 posts

I've had beards and shaved, I shave at the moment because I love my little boys smooth little cheeks on my cheek. When he was very little he didnt like to touch against my face if it was hairy or stubbly, so I kept clean shaved.

I think if we just get along and do as we like, and don't harm anybody, then all is fine with me. Shave or no shave, I don't care, do as you wan't.

I think if you feel pressure from society and that makes you feel unhappy, then you should not do whatever that pressure is trying to dictate. Societies rules are definately not worth following. Just have a look around. I was out walking today, I usually smile and say hello to most people I pass on the street (I live in a small town) and I notice today that alot of people looked quite unhappy. Society is certainly no guide if you want to find inner contentment and experience peacefulness.

be blessed and peaceful om shanti

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

another is to realize money is only paper the arbitrary value printed on it is meanningless unles you are willing to agree to its value

so if you dont need it to wipe your ass then you need to find others willing to accept that it has value in exchange for goods or services

so you make a tam and you need a sandwich

1st you have to get someone to agree the tams worth 5 squares of tiolet paper then you have to avoid wiping your ass with them long enough to find someone with a sandwich and a underwer stain that requires 5 squares of tioletpaper to resolve

its really alot esier to find someone without a hat whos got a sandwich and a drum and a car willing to trade em all to keep their head warm

you see ..goods..services these things have value especialy when needed

the i scratch your back if you scratch mine is a direct exchange of services

ill mow your lawn if you feed my kids

ill plant your garden if you put a rioof on my house

you can exchange goods for services services for goods etc..and the values arent based on the numbers printed on the papers u could wipe yoir ass with the values are based on what yoir willing to do or part with to receive what youu want or need

the true story of custars last stand:

as the battlefeild dust cleared custar and his army wee on a ridge overlooking the battlefield where may of his men lay dead

the native americans weee down there pickig amongst he bodies for useful things

many of the men had just been paid for the 1at time in months and monts their pockets stuffed full of green papers which the tribe thought looked like green frog skins

the children were playing with these green papers, the women sewing them onto ton clothes as patches and yes some of the warriors used them to start fires or wipe thier asses

this drove cusrer..and his men insane..custar and more then a few of his men killed themselves on the spot

not because of seeing a feild full of thier freinds laying dead below them but because they valued those papers above life itself

on the other side the native americans found little value in these frog skins wich made poor patches for torn clothes and were a bit too skinny to keep the hands from stinking after wiping their asses

so they soon found they were most useful for starting fires

poiunt is..if you agree green papers have value you will give yoir life chasing after that value

but if you believe you..yoiur body your hair your life has value you will never compromise for flimsy green pictures of li]ong dead poloticians

NaturalDreads01 said:

yeah.. it really sucks.. but it is what it is i guess.. the system is screwed lol. Luckily I like crocheting. so I have had people who have wanted to buy some of my stuff.. So I guess that is one way for me to get money lol.

KnotLady said:

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
KnotLady
@knotlady
11 years ago
300 posts

Tim: i have seen those same unhappy faces. work your ass off for someone who doesnt giver a shit about you or your family, then die and you still have to pay your taxes. lovely society lol
SE: i love bartering. unfortunately my landlord likes cash lol. we really would like to be self sufficient eventually. we have lofty goals.

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form