Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums
baby britt
@baby-britt
12 years ago
112 posts

it's things like THAT that make me shy away from "hippie" and "wook." although like SE said, we are much more in touch with the earth and the true nature of all beings. ever heard the song society by eddie vedder? they are indeed a crazy breed, and i do hope they're not too terribly lonely without me, or you, or any of us. we've found the way, i believe.

i could start a whole new discussion about drugs but i'll just leave that one be. certain things have opened my eyes, but they're definitely not essential to finding truth or enlightenment.

bobbi blaine said:

haha, learn something new every day

Wook
A wook is a hippie without any ambition, motivation, or drive other than drugs and image. They're generally in their twenties, college students (or dropouts) at small-town liberal colleges (such as Appalachian State University) and dependent on an income other than their own.
Wooks tend to travel in packs, they smell strongly of patchouli and are in constant search for free drugs. One of the defining characteristics is an excessive amount of unkempt hair, usually in dreadlocks.
It is important to make the distinction between a hippie and a wook. Hippies can generally be viewed as positive, optimistic members of society with an idealistic goal for the betterment of society. Wooks are everything that you've been warned about in regard to hippies wrapped into a neat little package.

updated by @baby-britt: 07/23/15 07:49:58AM
baby britt
@baby-britt
12 years ago
112 posts

haha, you got something against deadheads, SE? ;)
soaring eagle said:

i thought that was a deadhead? i never heard of a wook

but then again in rainbow circles we got the rainbows drainbows blissininnis and high hollies (and elders) rainbows are all pretty possitive work hard care help one another drainbows stand around waiting to be fed complaining they arent huigh enough blissinninis are too high to comoplain..or work.. high holies spend all day in council while elders lead by example sorta over simplifying it but i guess the point is in any subculture theres the good the bad the ones you admire and those that just take up space

as far as hippies go the world would be way more fucked up without them we wouldnt have recycling alternative fuels ecological conservation and many other possitives hell we probly wouldnt be feeding starving children having womaen and minorities voting anti polution regulations etc etc etc

bobbi blaine said:

haha, learn something new every day

Wook
A wook is a hippie without any ambition, motivation, or drive other than drugs and image. They're generally in their twenties, college students (or dropouts) at small-town liberal colleges (such as Appalachian State University) and dependent on an income other than their own.
Wooks tend to travel in packs, they smell strongly of patchouli and are in constant search for free drugs. One of the defining characteristics is an excessive amount of unkempt hair, usually in dreadlocks.
It is important to make the distinction between a hippie and a wook. Hippies can generally be viewed as positive, optimistic members of society with an idealistic goal for the betterment of society. Wooks are everything that you've been warned about in regard to hippies wrapped into a neat little package.
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I was under the impression that a wook was just a really furry hippie. Like a wookie.

Purkurr
@purkurr
12 years ago
44 posts

^^ Ha ha, me too! I thought someone calls some people wookies, because of their furry hair. :D

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I really think that's what it means. Wookies are people with thick hair on their heads, legs, arms, (beards for guys).

Aika
@aika
12 years ago
57 posts

first of all, good for you for changing your life. second of all, i don't think people should be labeled either - good or bad. people become attached to labels and they identify with different labels in order to build up their identity and self-worth. when you label someone, it gives them very little room and freedom to change. once you categorize someone, you cease to truly see them for who they are - a person.

so being a hippie is not a "bad" label, and maybe technically you are one, but labels all together are rubbish. each label is a cage to get trapped in.

Circle Dancer
@circle-dancer
12 years ago
121 posts

"Hippie" is just something more mainstream type people tend to call anyone who is well...into ANYTHING having to do with a variety of things (dreadlocks, certain types of music, certain types of dress, certain diets, etc etc etc). Basically anything they don't understand that can't be shoved into another label like goth, scene, emo...it has absolutely nothing to do with the original word for the most part. Which annoys me.

I don't think the word itself is insulting, but I do think the fact that people try and throw labels on each other is.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

the original hippy is not the same as hippie today. The word hippie back in the day dealt more with how you looked than how you acted. Today it's more about how you act than how you look.

Iggy Smith
@iggy-smith
12 years ago
7 posts

if you don't mind me asking, how old is your daughter?

GoldenEagle
@goldeneagle
12 years ago
393 posts

If the meaning of any adjective is relative to a given opinion. Wouldn't the power it has over us also be subject to opinion?

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form