Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

baby dreads

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

lice is a concern, but to be honest, those little bugs don't like nappy hair. They usually avoid hair that they can't crawl around in easily. It's still possible, of course, if he's surrounded by others with it. I agree. Wait till the summer. If he still wants them then, I guess he's had enough time to think about it and not change his mind

updated by @baba-fats: 07/26/15 07:23:07AM
Amy Lee2
@amy-lee2
12 years ago
87 posts

they are any dreadies nightmare, and a bitch to get rid of. some cases are hard to kick in UNDREADED hair, add in the factor that you cant use the little comb to comb them out of dreads and its a whole different monster. you can kill them, but some of the dead bugs are bound to stay in your dreads forever. YUCK!! luckily, lice like really clean hair that they can move around easily in, so dreads arent their ideal choice. but it still happens. there are a few horror stories floating around here, one recently where a girl had to comb out her dreads because of a bad infestation.

YUKON
@yukon
12 years ago
119 posts

my son is 15 months...id love to let his hair dread.....aside from me and the wife everyone else in the family would not be happy...but would tolerate it.

i bet a few parents w/ really young kids w/ dreads have to deal w/ calls to CPS regarding the care of their kids. ppl prolly think that more than just their hair is neglected.....which i'm sure is rarely the case.

Diva Locks
@diva-locks
12 years ago
13 posts

Thank you so much Everybody.You all are helping me out allot with thisdecision. Im very sure Boba wants his dreadies lol and his sister seems to want to help him too. I got to put some pics up of her backcombing his hair :)

Amy Lee2
@amy-lee2
12 years ago
87 posts

please do!! my sis has boy/ girl twins and they are beyond awesome!! they are so much fun :)

Diva Locks said:

Thank you so much Everybody.You all are helping me out allot with thisdecision. Im very sure Boba wants his dreadies lol and his sister seems to want to help him too. I got to put some pics up of her backcombing his hair :)

Oneness
@oneness
12 years ago
5 posts

Lice can be controlled very easily even in dreaded hair.

heres where I get yelled at.

When my hair was straight I got the ol hair crickets and couldnt shake em, nix and rid just didnt seem to be effective.While googling some new prescription treatment, I found out in Europe they treat kids with lice with ivermectrin.Ive worked with ivermectrin for years with horses its safe enough(in livestock) to double dose and $5 a tube enough treat 1 person half a dozen times.Ive used it and lice are gone in three days,totally gone after two treatments(about a week)Its an antiparasitic pesticide so you'll lose your organic label but it sure beats rubbin hot sauce on your head if that even works.Now any product can have adverse effects so becareful.and always research any drug before you give it to your kid,especially if some goof on the internet tells you to do it

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I would NEVER put hot sauce on my head.

I worked in a kitchen for years and we used to pull little pranks on each other all in good fun. We had to wear certain slip proof shoes, that we left at work, so one of the pranks was to putcayenne pepper in peoples shoes. When you sweat or got wet it would react so strongly that you could feel the itch and burn through socks. I couldn't even imagine what it would be like on your scalp. When you try to wash it out you be in agony for days probably

Amy Lee2
@amy-lee2
12 years ago
87 posts

there wont be any horse pesticides touching my kid or myself any time soon ;) and i didnt say you couldnt kill them, but removing them is a different story.

Oneness said:

Lice can be controlled very easily even in dreaded hair.

heres where I get yelled at.

When my hair was straight I got the ol hair crickets and couldnt shake em, nix and rid just didnt seem to be effective.While googling some new prescription treatment, I found out in Europe they treat kids with lice with ivermectrin.Ive worked with ivermectrin for years with horses its safe enough(in livestock) to double dose and $5 a tube enough treat 1 person half a dozen times.Ive used it and lice are gone in three days,totally gone after two treatments(about a week)Its an antiparasitic pesticide so you'll lose your organic label but it sure beats rubbin hot sauce on your head if that even works.Now any product can have adverse effects so becareful.and always research any drug before you give it to your kid,especially if some goof on the internet tells you to do it

princenoobsauce
@princenoobsauce
12 years ago
56 posts

I had lice once. I got them from a friend of mines little daughter that went to daycare. I got rid of them with tea tree oil on a cotton ball at full strength. I caught them very early so it was easy. It sucks if you wait cause I cant see how you would get all the dead bugs and dirt out. In nearly 14 years it had only happened to me once, and if you use the oil right away you wont have any problems. I think you could pre-treat with a strong teatree soak if you know you are going to be in a high risk area.

Amy Lee2
@amy-lee2
12 years ago
87 posts

firm believer in tea tree oil here. as for now i wash my sons hair with a tea tree shampoo and always add a few drops to my own bs wash. so far so good! 14 yrs. wow. *bows down*

princenoobsauce said:

I had lice once. I got them from a friend of mines little daughter that went to daycare. I got rid of them with tea tree oil on a cotton ball at full strength. I caught them very early so it was easy. It sucks if you wait cause I cant see how you would get all the dead bugs and dirt out. In nearly 14 years it had only happened to me once, and if you use the oil right away you wont have any problems. I think you could pre-treat with a strong teatree soak if you know you are going to be in a high risk area.

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form