Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Naturally occurring dreadlocks a concept difficult to grasp

Jdwood
@jdwood
12 years ago
275 posts

I have nothing against "artificial" looks for me it is just an other way of expressingoneself( the origins of the word is "of art" )I think your body can be a canvas but the thing is art has become an industry and so has looks so this can cause problems for people who are more "feral".

updated by @jdwood: 07/22/15 12:17:43PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I have no problem with that look either. I don't even have a problem with how waxed ones look. I love all locks. I just like to express my views on how to keep them healthy.

I do everything naturally. I don't eat anything unnatural. No HFCS, no modified corn starch. Non of it. I try to take care of my body (Yes I smoke cigs, but that's my only vice. I haven't kicked it yet). I do believe the body is a temple. but I also believe that it is a canvas. I have stretched lobes and tattos. And I plan to get more tats. It's all in the name of art

elke.in.alaska
@elkeinalaska
12 years ago
90 posts
Baba it's interesting that you post your thoughts on this I have been thinking on a variation of this subject for the past several days. I find it curious that there are some extremely strong (sometimes aggressive or condescending) opinions on this site about keeping dreadlocks natural. Natural being equated with being healthiest. I'm totally not questioning that, even though I've read some inaccurate things. But it seems curious to me that those same opinions about the treatment of hair haven't (that I've seen) been voiced about dying/bleaching. Well, certainly not with the same fervor. And if it's all about being healthy, what about the risks of inking skin and puncturing skin and using mind/body altering chemicals. They all have varying degrees of risk and certainly change the body into something different from it's natural state. People could go on all day about food, and I've read some interesting comments about that.

Idk, I have a personal motto of moderation in all things. I love extremes...just on other people :) Well except for the chemical stuff. Since my life has been irrevocably altered in a way I'm not happy about because of someone else's usage, I do have pretty strong feelings about it. But they're feelings I keep mostly to myself for several reasons.

Like I said, it's just felt weird reading some things when others that seem of equal or similar importance go uncommented. Maybe it's just the tone, idk. People are curious things. I'm rambling so I'll quit. :P.PS and I'm not referring to anything you have said, in case you're curious. I love that you are so kind and respectful.
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

If I can help it, I don't take anything as if it's being said to me. Even compliments for that matter. I just am.

I'm glad you approve though. I, too, have seen a lot of "hostility" towards people with different views. I am guilty of trying to correct a damaging method, but I don't judge the people for doing it their way. That is up to them. They're here because they want our help. If I saw someone on the street with waxy locks, I'd compliment them. If they ask how I did mine, I'd tell them. Easy as that.

I too like extremes. I used to have tons of piercings. I took them out to be more natural, but I already had a few tats. Once you get one, you're addicted. So I got another huge one on my back. And I'm still not done. I still have my ears gauged, but right now I don't have anything in there. They'll probably close up a little in time. Never all the way. But I still appreciate all those crazy things people do to themselves. But like you, I would rather it be on them, not me

hippiegal
@hippiegal
12 years ago
182 posts

:D Love that - a dreadlock tree!

On the topic - some people still insist that the world is flat, that sugar cures pimples, politicians have everyone's best interests at heart, and only loctitians can make dreads. Or whatever they think about dreads. Sometimes there's no changing a fixed belief. People won't believe what can be shown right in front of them, but they'll believe no end of spin. Whatever feeds their comfort zone. I think it's something we'll have to put up with, and be prepared to give out a lot of dreaducation - even to those who shove it back at us. Turn the other cheek, shrug the other shoulder, give confused looks - whatever works.

Janice said:

I live in Canada. I have thus far only had great responses (other than my parents, who are in their 70s). Oh, and one VERY drunk guy in a pub told me I had a lovely tree growing on top of my head. HAHAHA! I had to laugh at that one...

elke.in.alaska
@elkeinalaska
12 years ago
90 posts
So so so true hippiegal! Whatever feeds the comfort zone, that's pretty much hitting the nail on the head.Baba, I love tattoos too. I'd have one or more if I could commit to something. My taste is sanguine as a butterfly and tends to swing to extremes. The only consistent thing I love is skulls. I love anatomy and I just the shape of them. They have too many cultural ties though. I tried to bribe my husband with a motorcycle into getting one for me ;) That hasn't happened.I am fascinated by the gauges. One of the things I loved about being a nurse (a million years ago) was the equalizing effect a hospital gown has on people. And another thing was an elderly person in a hospital gown. In our culture people fade into the background as they age, or in actuality are pushed there. It's one of the worst things about western culture IMO. I love that we all start out this life looking the same and as we leave it we all look pretty similar as well but in reality there is this vast lifetime of experiences that are waiting to be shared.In a hospital gown you can often see glimpses of a personality you might have missed otherwise. Tattoos are one of those things. Gauged ears will be another. I'm trying to picture a generation of elderly with gauged ears. :) I guess that'll be us. Lol
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

most fixed beliefs are hard to change. That's why I don't try to talk about politics or religion with conservative. It doesn't stop me from talking to them. Most are still nice people. There are just some topics you learn to stay away from

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Sorry...Sanguineas a butterfly?

I love that you made the connection of people in hospital gowns. That makes so much sense. I never thought of it like that. We do let some of our personality show more when we ear one. It's interestng. We tend to act more similar than we ever thought we could.

Why not get a skull tattoo? There are many ways to draw them that would make them your own and avoid the cultural significance. That's why you go somewhere good. If you can walk into a shop and they're ready to do it right then, walk back out. They aren't good artists. A good tattoo artists has, AT LEAST, a 6 month waiting list. You'll make one appointment just for them to draw something up and discuss it with you. Then they'll make any changes you talk about. When you approve of the design, then you make an appointment for the actual work to be done.

One thing you want to look for is flare on the walls. Flare is all of those pages and pages of pictures you can choose from. They just make a copy of one andscreen it onto you so they can trace it line for line.

DO NOT EVER GET A TATTOO AT A PLACE WITH FLARE ON THE WALLS!!! I can't stress this enough. find a place where the artists have coffee table style books of their own work. You'll be sure that you get something original, and you will get to seo how they do their line work and how their colours come out.

I'd have this same discussion with my own kids whenI have them, and if they want tats.

I see what you mean about not being able to settle one one design though. I thought about the one on my back since I was 15. I finally got it when I was 24. And the idea never changed, and I never got tired of it. I think that was a good indicator that I would not regret it in the future. The one on my shoulder was an impulse job, but it's a bass clef, and I am a bass player. Even if I stop playing as often as I'd like, I am a bass player at heart, and will never regret it.

You should find something you feel strongly about, and decide whether it is something you could live with on your skin forever.

I can't wait till our generation is OLD. I'd love to see all those funny looking dangly earlobes and such

c21dread
@c21dread
12 years ago
17 posts

EVERYBODY LISTENING TO THIS ??? READ SOARING EAGLES WORDS - IT REALLY IS THAT SIMPLE GUYS!!! STOP WASTING YOUR MONEY ON "DREADING" PRODUCTS

NATURE IS A DREADING PRODUCT

AS I STATED PREVIOUSLY - BEST WAY TO GET DREADS IS TO SHAVE YOUR HEAD THEN SIMPLY THROW YOUR COMB AWAY

EVERYTHING ELSE KEEP THE SAME (IE KEEP CLEAN)

BUT I HAVE TO SAY SOARING EAGLE - I HAVE NEVER DONE THE BICARB OF SODA THING.

HOW DO I DO THAT BRO?

DO YOU MIX THE SODA WITH WATER FIRST OR SPRINKLE IT ON YOUR HEAD DRY AND THEN WET IT ?? PLEASE SHARE THE TIP MATEY.......

soaring eagle said:

no ofcourse nopt6 if it doesnt get messy 1st it wont dread

if you comvb it u prevent dreads

how dificult is it to understand?

all your life you comb to prevent dreads

you dont comb..it dreads

its that simple to understand

Iron lion zion said:

It's hard to understand... I mean can I comb it a bit at least? so it wont look like a mess?

Janice
@janice
12 years ago
49 posts

LOL @c21... why are you shouting, bro? I hear you all the way over in the Hinterlands...

/ 9

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form