Like this page? Then share it!
Dreadlocks Forums
KnottyPrincess
@knottyprincess
5 years ago
122 posts

Okay...so my family runs a business. I moved from Jersey to Colorado to help them out (also because I was adopted and raised by wonderful parents whom I love and still consider my parents...but it was time to come out here and reconnect with this family) and specifically told them I had dreads and I was NOT planning on taking them out. Of course...I come out here...and for the first week and a half...it's a non-issue. THEN my bio-mom started kind of bugging me to take them out. I said no...and she left it alone. Then a few days ago...she sat me down and told me I pretty much needed to take out my dreads. She doesn't necessarily mind them...but she knows that people around here are prejudice against dreads and she needs me to help her out with being face to face with customers. So I was pretty much forced to comb out the dreads. Technically I could have kept them...but that would have been selfish because she REALLY needs my help. I care about family more than anything and even though it hurts...I had to do it. I'm really sad and heartbroken...but it's just hair. I have to just accept it and later on when I can...I'll let my hair dread again. (Oh but I forgot to mention...she saw how sad I was over it and felt really bad...so she let me have one. So I have a little piece in the front that I can clip back when I'm working that I am letting dread. So that can be my little dread journey for now.) Still though...I'm really sad so I could really use some love and support right now. :-(


updated by @knottyprincess: 02/14/15 02:30:32AM
YUKON
@yukon
5 years ago
119 posts

that does suck!!

im in colorado too (evergreen)....no prejudice here even tho it's uppity (but mtn folk ya know)

i took my dreads to texas for 2 years and worked in the oilfield....talk about a bunch of fukin' hatin ass rednecks....but i made them think that they were the idiots that they were every time they turned around.

i bet you can show ppl that your choice of hairstyle does not make you who you are, and they can get past it

...my mom (im 38)...tells me she hates my dreads...and always has....says "it looks hood"...i just say cool...i don't like your combed out, dyed, over worked , and over processed hairstyle either.

i bet before long you guys will come to see eye to eye and they will leave u alone

Castaway J
@castaway-j
5 years ago
588 posts

aw KP im so sorry to hear this, i truly feel for you. your still a part of this familyregardless;)

KnottyPrincess
@knottyprincess
5 years ago
122 posts

Thanks guys. <3

KnottyPrincess
@knottyprincess
5 years ago
122 posts

I hate my "normal" hair so much...it just symbolizes a person that I'm not anymore. I look in the mirror and all I want to do is cry...Is that stupid? Am I being dramatic?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
5 years ago
27,412 posts

what colorodo is fuull of dready love

just grow your dreads back when she sees you getting admirartion and respect not predjudice she will change her tune

ask her..mom did anyone actualy complain or are you being paranoid cause its my experience that oppl aere not only accepr=ting but admiring and respectful when you dread so it will not hurt your business 1 b=it in fact might help

and i would just grow them again..after all she needs your help..drwads or not your helping so u deserve to be happy when u help




--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
KnottyPrincess
@knottyprincess
5 years ago
122 posts

This is mostly true...but not here in Littleton. ESPECIALLY not when it comes to this business. There is a lot of prejudice especially when people are letting you into their homes. I'm not going to let my hair dread until I can convince her to at least allow me to cover my hair or something. I came here to help and if that means making sacrifices...so be it. Doesn't mean it doesn't hurt though. :-(

soaring eagle said:

what colorodo is fuull of dready love

just grow your dreads back when she sees you getting admirartion and respect not predjudice she will change her tune

ask her..mom did anyone actualy complain or are you being paranoid cause its my experience that oppl aere not only accepr=ting but admiring and respectful when you dread so it will not hurt your business 1 b=it in fact might help

and i would just grow them again..after all she needs your help..drwads or not your helping so u deserve to be happy when u help

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
5 years ago
27,412 posts

tell her you want to dread again but if you receive 1 su=ingle complaint you will cover or comb but iff u dont receive 1 single complaint then there is no reason to change a thing


KnottyPrincess said:

This is mostly true...but not here in Littleton. ESPECIALLY not when it comes to this business. There is a lot of prejudice especially when people are letting you into their homes. I'm not going to let my hair dread until I can convince her to at least allow me to cover my hair or something. I came here to help and if that means making sacrifices...so be it. Doesn't mean it doesn't hurt though. :-(

soaring eagle said:

what colorodo is fuull of dready love

just grow your dreads back when she sees you getting admirartion and respect not predjudice she will change her tune

ask her..mom did anyone actualy complain or are you being paranoid cause its my experience that oppl aere not only accepr=ting but admiring and respectful when you dread so it will not hurt your business 1 b=it in fact might help

and i would just grow them again..after all she needs your help..drwads or not your helping so u deserve to be happy when u help




--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
KnottyPrincess
@knottyprincess
5 years ago
122 posts

We can't afford to lose business. :-( Thank you for your support though, SE. <3333

soaring eagle said:

tell her you want to dread again but if you receive 1 su=ingle complaint you will cover or comb but iff u dont receive 1 single complaint then there is no reason to change a thing


KnottyPrincess said:

This is mostly true...but not here in Littleton. ESPECIALLY not when it comes to this business. There is a lot of prejudice especially when people are letting you into their homes. I'm not going to let my hair dread until I can convince her to at least allow me to cover my hair or something. I came here to help and if that means making sacrifices...so be it. Doesn't mean it doesn't hurt though. :-(

soaring eagle said:

what colorodo is fuull of dready love

just grow your dreads back when she sees you getting admirartion and respect not predjudice she will change her tune

ask her..mom did anyone actualy complain or are you being paranoid cause its my experience that oppl aere not only accepr=ting but admiring and respectful when you dread so it will not hurt your business 1 b=it in fact might help

and i would just grow them again..after all she needs your help..drwads or not your helping so u deserve to be happy when u help

KnottyPrincess
@knottyprincess
5 years ago
122 posts

And don't worry...I know it seems like I gave up on my dread journey...but I haven't. I am writing her an essay right now about why dreadlocks are so important to me.

 / 3
 
Dislike 0

Share This

Tags

comments powered by Disqus