Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Too old for dreads??????

MiDread
@midread
14 years ago
187 posts

O.K. guys, I reiterated to my husband last night that yes, I am actually dreading my hair, it wasnot a joke. His response???? You are too old for that. It won't look good on you. You are not the type for dreads.Period. For all of you out there that don't already know, I will be 42 in July. Before you start gutting my husband, just be aware that he is a conservative 52 year old fuddy-duddy, so have mercy on him. He didn't intend to be mean, just giving me his loving opinion. I would be just as blunt with him about something I don't agree with - we don't pull punches in this house! :)

I am sure there are people on here older than me (I think- you ARE out there aren't you???) So, what do you guys think? Can an older (middle-middle aged) woman wear dreads gracefully? Keep in mind, I am not a "jock", "hippie" or "woodsy goddess" type. I am more of farm girl - animal and garden geared. Sometimes I like to slop around in my farm clothes in the mud, sometimes I like to dress in the latest styles and go out. Can I do it all with dreads and not look like a 42 year old dork?????

updated by @midread: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
Dready Bear
@dready-bear
14 years ago
2 posts
As long as you don't go putting Hello Kitty beads in them its an awesome idea!! ;)
MiDread
@midread
14 years ago
187 posts
LOL - We don't do Hello Kitty in this house... All boys but me and the Chiweenie, Cujo - and I am more of a Tom Girl! Dready Bear said:
As long as you don't go putting Hello Kitty beads in them its an awesome idea!! ;)
Dready Bear
@dready-bear
14 years ago
2 posts
Haha, alright then! i say do eeeet !! MiDread said:
LOL - We don't do Hello Kitty in this house... All boys but me and the Chiweenie, Cujo - and I am more of a Tom Girl!

Dready Bear said:
Pamella
@pamella
14 years ago
31 posts
It's a personal prefence with whatever makes your heart happy...leave the mind out of it and what others think..Your husband loves you for you..if this will help you express the uniqueness of YOU then Go For It..I am 40...and I am using the neglect method...Feel free to connect with me anytime ;) I am an earthy being and have lots of animals and gardening goin on here too :) It's all about Heart here..just feel free :)
MiDread
@midread
14 years ago
187 posts
Thanks! That's awesome that you like animals and gardening too!! My husband just really likes the way I look now. He tolerated me having REALLY SHORT hair for years. I asked him if he would rather have me be bald or have dreadlocks. He picked the dreadlocks - LOL!!I really want to do this, I am really tired of conforming to standards, I want to work my own hours, garden in my bare feet, look my own way, make a living doing something I love and stop obsessing over every little thing that I can't control - like my hair!!! Life is too short! It's a matter of me getting back in touch with myself and my God. I want to live a more natural life. I am tired of the corporate grind and the shallow social climbing I see going on with my friends. BUT! It never occured to me that there was an age stigma associated with dreads??? At least by my husband!!! LOL Pamella said:
It's a personal prefence with whatever makes your heart happy...leave the mind out of it and what others think..Your husband loves you for you..if this will help you express the uniqueness of YOU then Go For It..I am 40...and I am using the neglect method...Feel free to connect with me anytime ;) I am an earthy being and have lots of animals and gardening goin on here too :) It's all about Heart here..just feel free :)
Lonnie Berg
@lonnie-berg
14 years ago
219 posts
I'm 56 and 6 months into my journey, do what makes ya feel good, I'm sure your hubby will grow to love em too. I think you're gonna look "fine" with dreads.You're never too old to Rock n' Roll!! If it makes you wanna dance....then Dance!!For the record I'm an animal nut a garden freak and think shoes are evil too.
MiDread
@midread
14 years ago
187 posts
Thanks guys!!! I really LOVE this forum. Everyone here is so non-judgemental. When I am 60, I want to be that gray-haired "dready" in my garden!!! Lonnie Berg said:
I'm 56 and 6 months into my journey, do what makes ya feel good, I'm sure your hubby will grow to love em too. I think you're gonna look "fine" with dreads.
You're never too old to Rock n' Roll!! If it makes you wanna dance....then Dance!!
MiDread
@midread
14 years ago
187 posts
LOL ! Yeah - after the initial "you're too old", I got the "and they're dirty - you can't wash them" comments too. I shot that down right away. I was surprised because as long as we have been married - going on twenty years this fall, I can't believe my hubby would think that I would do something with my hair that I couldn't wash - YUCK!!!And Lonnie - I'm with you - down with shoes!!!! (Except in the winter - it get's cold in Michigan - ha ha) sVmM3RhAz3 said:
Sounds like your husband and my stepmom would get along well. She gave me her loving opinion about my desire to dread my hair... LOL-I feel your pain! I did some research for my self of course and as I came across information I thought would be good for her to read I forwarded the links to her. It sounds like your husband just needs to understand your decision as he is wound up with the many negative associations and myths surrounding dreading. My boyfriend wasn't too hot about me dreading at first, but through conversation he has now accepted my decision. And NO you're not too old! Life is far too short to be taken too seriously. It sounds like your heart is in the right place and like Dready Bear said-no Hello Kitty beads and you'll be just fine. ;)
Pamella
@pamella
14 years ago
31 posts
Like a family should :) Knottysleeves said:
I love that our members here cover such a wide age range. Proof that dreads aren't just for the cool kids. ;-)
 / 6

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form