Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

The recent debate i've come across

Colyn Robinson
@colyn-robinson
10 years ago
45 posts

I've recently heard people fighting over whether or not its right for white people to have dreads. The main point being it's offensive to African-American cultures and religious beliefs that involve dreadlocks. Anyone else seen or heard anything about this? Or opinion?

updated by @colyn-robinson: 02/14/15 03:52:22AM
Tim5
@tim5
10 years ago
359 posts

Any hair type will dread if not brushed, that says everything, I would never argue or debate beyond that one point.

peace.

Jamison Johnston3
@jamison-johnston3
10 years ago
64 posts
As far as I'm concerned,there is no debate to be had. And people who say that white people, or Asian people, or any group of people should not have dreads, areincredibly racist
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

native americans had dreads when "discovered" with no interaction or influence from any other culture

also the rastas dread based on a passage in the bible which both christians and jews dread by

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jayke Watson
@jayke-watson
10 years ago
118 posts
I think the real issue that the slightly more educated African American dreadies have is not so much with us having dreads but what we call them, 'loc(s)' was a term specifically created for African Americans to reclaim that hairstyle and separate it from 'dreads and dreadlocks'because the two ideas for where they came from is the Rastafarians having 'dread/awe/respect' in jah or that the slavers who originally enslaved the African people called the look dreadful because it was all knotted up with blood and feces from the boat journey over. And I understand those issues but no one has proposed anther term for non African/ rastafarian people to use.
taye
@taye
10 years ago
833 posts

In the bible Samson had 7 locks. The bible is a whole lot older than the Rastafarian religion. Also there is a wonderful little old story about a girl and 3 bears her name was Goldie Locks. lol So I just don't see how it could be a term "specially created" for African Americans. "Locks" is not a new word it is an old word to describe hair..

CoriElaine
@corielaine
10 years ago
173 posts

This is rubbish in my opinion. Dreadlocks have spanned every country, race, and religion.

Randall Wilson
@randall-wilson
10 years ago
4 posts

rasta believe all people are from africa, all people are related and all people are one with jah. so no color can define us, and science proves that humans are not genectically diverse enough to be seperated into races.

Tim5
@tim5
10 years ago
359 posts

The fact that some people think dreads belong to them as a people is fine with me, there are alot of people who have beliefs that I dont share, I respect those beliefs and I dont argue about those beliefs, I respect them.

peace

Jayke Watson
@jayke-watson
10 years ago
118 posts
Not 'locks', that's probably the most preferred word for non-african people to use but 'locs' was a word created for and by African Americans to describe their dreads.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form